Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading down value

scousecolt

You do realize thats Fluker is projected to be a top 5-10 pick......right? I've seen some project him number 1 overall to the Chiefs. No way Fluker is there for us. Won't happen.

You sure you're not thinking of Luke Joekel from Texas A&M? I've never seen DJ Fluker higher than a late first round pick, and he is strictly a right tackle.

You do realize thats Fluker is projected to be a top 5-10 pick......right? I've seen some project him number 1 overall to the Chiefs. No way Fluker is there for us. Won't happen.

why would they project a RT to play LT when Joeckel who is a LT is likely a future Pro Bowler? Just a question, I think he will go in the 2nd, certainly not top 5-10, dont mean to come of arrogant ya just caught me off guard on that top 5-10 and if the Chiefs draft him number 1 expect Eric Winston to demand a trade and rightfully so besides Im 100 percent certain Fluker and his slow feet dont fit KC scheme, maybe your thinking of Joeckel?

Think you mean Luke Joeckel, he's the top rated LT, Fluker is one of the top rated RTs and usually projected late 1st to mid second.

You sure you're not thinking of Luke Joekel from Texas A&M? I've never seen DJ Fluker higher than a late first round pick, and he is strictly a right tackle.

Yea, Fluker will most likely be an early 2nd. There's a chart that assigns value to each pick, you can find them online.

In one they assign our pick as 740. A mid 2nd round is in the 400s. A mid 3rd may be in the 200s. Take it from there.

Yea, Fluker will most likely be an early 2nd. There's a chart that assigns value to each pick, you can find them online.

In one they assign our pick as 740. A mid 2nd round is in the 400s. A mid 3rd may be in the 200s. Take it from there.

So from that if we traded down we could be looking at a 2nd and 3rd with a possibility of 6/7th too. I would be happy with that as long as it was one of the higher picks from Kansas or Philly.

So from that if we traded down we could be looking at a 2nd and 3rd with a possibility of 6/7th too. I would be happy with that as long as it was one of the higher picks from Kansas or Philly.

In theory, that's true. The Pats are masters of using that strategy. It's worked out pretty well for them. They miss on a lot of their picks, but they have so many they always manage to fill needs.

The problem, obviously, is that he later you pick the less chance the player has of making an impact. Statistically that's true, but we had tremendous value in the later rounds last year. Doesn't mean it will happen again.

In theory, that's true. The Pats are masters of using that strategy. It's worked out pretty well for them. They miss on a lot of their picks, but they have so many they always manage to fill needs.

The problem, obviously, is that he later you pick the less chance the player has of making an impact. Statistically that's true, but we had tremendous value in the later rounds last year. Doesn't mean it will happen again.

The Pats were the team I was thinking about here, since the positions we need (RT, OG, SS) have good depth in round two and three I would be happy trading as long as it was a high pick in two and three where players like Elam, Fluker, Warford and Rambo will likely be drafted. More value in two of them rather than at 24.

The Pats were the team I was thinking about here, since the positions we need (RT, OG, SS) have good depth in round two and three I would be happy trading as long as it was a high pick in two and three where players like Elam, Fluker, Warford and Rambo will likely be drafted. More value in two of them rather than at 24.

That's true. You'd need to find a team that has multiple picks in those rounds that they wouldn't miss, as well as wanting another 1st rounder. It makes sense, but it may be difficult to accomplish.

It's interesting that Miami has two picks in the 2nd and the 3rd, of course one was from us. The Bengals also have 2 in the 2nd.

last draft we concentrated on offense with the exception of Chapman and Flugger in the very late rounds, this years draft needs to be concentrated on defense. you can get offensive lineman out of FA. we need more help on the defensive side of the ball.

offensive needs: RT,RG,LG

Defensive needs: DE,DT,OLB,CB,Safety position.

if were gonna trade down then trade down for a 2nd rd,4th rd and 6th rd pick

get OLB Porter from TAMU

Rambo Safety from UGA

and Mathieu CB LSU (take a chance with him with either our 4th rd pick we get in the trade or hope he falls to us in the 6th rd.) he would be a good nickel back for us and would surely improve our secondary atleast better then what we got now, and is a good return man.

It all depends on how far down we trade.

When Baltimore traded down with Denver, so the Broncos could move up to grab Tebow,  I think Denver moved up 18 spots, (my memory says from 43 to 25)   they paid a 2/3/4 to Baltimore.

I do not expect a deal like that this year...

If we moved down that far, I'd expect a 2/3/5 or 2/3/6.    I'm just not sure I want to move down 18 spots.    I'd rather move down 10-12 spots.   And, if we still like what's on the board when our pick rolls around considering trading down a 2nd time to gather more picks.    Or, if we're happy making our pick at the top of the 2nd,  pull the trigger then and there.

Patience is a good thing at draft time.

The last thought to remember is that it takes two teams to make a deal.   The team trading up has to be willing to give up what you want to trade down....   that's not always as easy as it seems...