Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eye opening stats about Mannings postseason career

Snowglobe

Some of these made me go "wow".

----------

Manning has more home playoff losses than any other starting quarterback in playoff history: five.

Manning has a 1-8 record in playoff games that were one score games in the 4th quarter.

Manning's playoff record is 6-6 when his D gives up 21 or less in regulation. No other QB has more than 3 losses in that same senario.

Manning has 38 regular season 4th quarter comebacks, most of any QB since 1998. But only 1 in the playoffs.

Manning is the only SB winning QB to carry a losing record overall in post-season play. Jim McMahon is the next closest at 3-3.

Manning is the only QB to throw more INTs than TDs in playoff run and still win the Super Bowl (3Tds and 7INTs in 2006 playoffs)

Manning's QB rating during his 06 playoff run is the lowest of any SB winning QB

Manning has had a top 10 scoring defense in 6 of his 12 playoff seasons

----

Here's one.....

The thing is Indy's defense has them in position to win playoff games. They have allowed 21 points or less in regulation of 12 of their 19 playoff games under Peyton Manning. They lost 6 of those 12 games. That's the most prolific waste of defensive effort in the history of the NFL. 6 losses when the D allows 21 or less in regulation? No other QB has more than 3. Mannings winning % in those 11 games is .500; No other QB who has started more than 10 playoff games has a winning % below .600 when their D allows 21 or less in regulation. Most are well above .800.

For reference:

Marino 7-1

Elway 10-1

Brady 12-2

Montana 12-2

Young 4-1

Favre 11-1

Bart Starr 8-1

John Unitas 6-2

Terry Bradshaw 13-2

Bob Griese 6-2

Roger Staubach 11-3

Fran Tarkenton 6-2

Jim Kelly 6-2

Troy Aikman 10-1

Kerry Collins 3-1

Len Dawson 5-1

Jim Plunkett 7-2

Phil Simms 6-3

Donavan McNabb 9-2

I still believe the old saying "live by the sword, die by the sword".  It's Manning's total control of the offense that makes him great and it's his total control that bites him.  Irsay realized that and that's why you see him building a better team around Luck.    

I still believe the old saying "live by the sword, die by the sword".  It's Manning's total control of the offense that makes him great and it's his total control that bites him.  Irsay realized that and that's why you see him building a better team around Luck.    

Exactly! Succeeding in playoff as a QB or offensive coordinator are both very difficult jobs. Manning is great, but for him to play both roles and top the opponents QB+OC is too difficult. He will keep trying and hope he could get one SB before he retires.

Excellent read and thanks for the post . . . yes so many times the game of football comes down to the bounce of the ball . . . and some of those one and dones where just that . . .

however i would point out that but for a stupid play by Bettis in the 06 game, the colts never would of the gotten the ball back . . . had manning converted a first down against jets the could of ran the clock out and ended the game, had the offense made a first down in 08 SD game or if the refs did not call that ticky tack holding call on the pick six at the end of the half that game is different too, the ball did go through Waynes hand but it was high . . . so yes the article does point that some of the 8 games were close, but there are also a few plays that went for the colts and/or were not done by the colts that he failed to mention . . .

but hey it happens, we seen Brady and the pats do a few of the same in their close loses . . .

Excellent read and thanks for the post . . . yes so many times the game of football comes down to the bounce of the ball . . . and some of those one and dones where just that . . .

however i would point out that but for a stupid play by Bettis in the 06 game, the colts never would of the gotten the ball back . . . had manning converted a first down against jets the could of ran the clock out and ended the game, had the offense made a first down in 08 SD game or if the refs did not call that ticky tack holding call on the pick six at the end of the half that game is different too, the ball did go through Waynes hand but it was high . . . so yes the article does point that some of the 8 games were close, but there are also a few plays that went for the colts and/or were not done by the colts that he failed to mention . . .

but hey it happens, we seen Brady and the pats do a few of the same in their close loses . . .

Brady owes that O line too. He had the lowest completion % in the league this year when given 2.5 sec or less to throw. Luck would have killed for 2.5 seconds most of the year. lol

Brady owes that O line too. He had the lowest completion % in the league this year when given 2.5 sec or less to throw. Luck would have killed for 2.5 seconds most of the year. lol

yes football is a team game . . . i remember when Branch came back to the pats two years ago and his first game he did really well and a reporter asked BB something along the lines "branch did well/you must be estactic that he has brought back his production to NE" . . . in not some many words BB basically said "in order for a WR to get a ball, you need the Ol to block, the right play called, the other WR/rbs to run their routes, the QB to recognize the coverage, and get the ball to the right guy and make a good throw" basically saying it takes 11 guys all doing their job for things to work and all need to do their job, yes the WR still has to catch the ball, but that is not possible without the other 10 helping out . . . and this holds true for all of the positions . . .

Have to make the plays when the opportunity presents itself.

Like I said, Manning has a LOT of limitations. He cannot make plays outside the pocket like a Big Ben or Rodgers or even Luck. He cannot do QB sneaks like Brady does for short yardage in critical situations. He does not have a gun of an arm to wing the ball into tight spots like Brady or Rodgers, so he has to rely on accuracy and timing to be exceptional and against playoff Ds, that timing is bound to get disrupted more often than not. So, he takes chances, much like Favre, and no wonder his playoff losses are tied with Favre right now.

The results of his play in high intensity situations like the playoffs are a manifestation of those limitations, IMO.

The truth of the matter is, his close to .500 record is pretty much identical to the record he has in the regular season vs top 5 Ds.

The only way Manning can salvage anything in his postseason career is like an old dog learning new tricks, with an aggressive playcaller telling him what to do in end of game situations, and his offense considerably modified from a primarily timing based offense.

Manning threw a perfect pass which Collie dropped on the last 3rd down of that drive.

It was Blair White, Collie was on IR. He did put it where only Blair White could catch it but then it depends on whether you want to view it glass half empty or glass half full. :)

Manning threw a perfect pass which Collie dropped on the last 3rd down of that drive.

Wasn't Collie already on IR at that time? I was watching it at the stadium. I believe it was a back-shoulder to Blair White which was a little low and under-thrown, which White dropped. Perhaps Collie as a much better receiver could catch it with his skill. The best WR Wayne was not even targeted more than a couple of times in that game if I remember clearly.

Have to make the plays when the opportunity presents itself.

Like I said, Manning has a LOT of limitations. He cannot make plays outside the pocket like a Big Ben or Rodgers or even Luck. He cannot do QB sneaks like Brady does for short yardage in critical situations. He does not have a gun of an arm to wing the ball into tight spots like Brady or Rodgers, so he has to rely on accuracy and timing to be exceptional and against playoff Ds, that timing is bound to get disrupted more often than not. So, he takes chances, much like Favre, and no wonder his playoff losses are tied with Favre right now.

The results of his play in high intensity situations like the playoffs are a manifestation of those limitations, IMO.

The truth of the matter is, his close to .500 record is pretty much identical to the record he has in the regular season vs top 5 Ds.

The only way Manning can salvage anything in his postseason career is like an old dog learning new tricks, with an aggressive playcaller telling him what to do in end of game situations, and his offense considerably modified from a primarily timing based offense.

You are 100% correct on Manning's limitations. He prepares for the games so well that in regular season he almost garantee the wins against inferior teams. He has always been .500 against elite teams who can either defend him or outscore him. In playoff teams tend to challenge him more intensively and his percentage even drops a little lower.

One thing is most Colts and Manning fans like to believe Manning is a superman and do not have many flaws. It is so much pain for them to admit he has these limitations.

Wasn't Collie already on IR at that time? I was watching it at the stadium. I believe it was a back-shoulder to Blair White which was a little low and under-thrown, which White dropped. Perhaps Collie as a much better receiver could catch it with his skill. The best WR Wayne was not even targeted more than a couple of times in that game if I remember clearly.

Very much like a recent throw Peyton made to Demaryius Thomas, low for a tall WR that was less than accurate that could have resulted in a critical first down to be in position for a FG in OT to win the game. DT had taken his CB little farther, so the ball had the luxury of being thrown a little higher. In that case, Peyton played conservative with his pass. In this case, the low throw was not justified.

In the Blair White case, he was covered by a safety named Eric Smith and did not have that much separation, so Peyton's low throw was more justified because he had a potential game winning FG in the bag, and it would have been the game winning FG, if not for the Colts' ST giving Cromartie a 53 yard return and Caldwell's timeout giving the Jets time to regroup and target Lacey for a 20 yard completion to Braylon Edwards.

I do think each case needs to be analyzed on its own context.

Manning threw a perfect pass which Blair White dropped on the last 3rd down of that drive.

from what i recall it was in the dirt or close to it, no? . . . sorta like Brady's pass to welker last year in the SB which welker dropped, surely Welker could of caught the ball but it would of been a tough catch . . . Brady over compensated for the safety and went too far over Welker back shoulder causing him to have to turn too much and weight was going away from the ball as he got his hands on it . . . similarly Manning he threw it too much towards the ground and made it a tough catch . . . i view both of those plays similiar, both QBs had a opporunity to basically end the game and did not make the best throw . . . understandably they are trying to be safe and err on the side of caution given that an INT would be disasterous, but they both over compenstated . . . my two cents . . .

from what i recall it was in the dirt or close to it, no? . . . sorta like Brady's pass to welker last year in the SB which welker dropped, surely Welker could of caught the ball but it would of been a tough catch . . . Brady over compensated for the safety and went too far over Welker back shoulder causing him to have to turn too much and weight was going away from the ball as he got his hands on it . . . similarly Manning he threw it too much towards the ground and made it a tough catch . . . i view both of those plays similiar, both QBs had a opporunity to basically end the game and did not make the best throw . . . understandably they are trying to be safe and err on the side of caution given that an INT would be disasterous, but they both over compenstated . . . my two cents . . .

No it was a post route to the center of field about 20 yards downfield. If I remember correctly it was a little short, but it hit White right in the hands.

Yeah Revis absolutely shut down Reggie in that game. I believe his only catch was a screen for like 2 yards.

But on your other point yeah it was a deep post that was a little underthrown, but a ball that hit Blair right in his hands.

One main difference was, Peyton was in FG position, Brady was not, plus Peyton's WR Blair White was played in man coverage and had little separation on Eric Smith, the safety while Welker was inside a zone vs the Giants, if I remember accurately.

No it was a post route to the center of field about 20 yards downfield. If I remember correctly it was a little short, but his White right in th hands.

okay then i am off, i have to check the video, i thought he rolled out to the near side of the field and threw teh ball to the WR who was near the 20 or something, it was like 3rd down and medium, and the guy was covered but was in front of the defender and PM threw it at the guys knees and he dived for the ball and could not come up with it, . . . either way it was tough throw as PM was rolling out . . . i might be wrong tho . . .

No it was a post route to the center of field about 20 yards downfield. If I remember correctly it was a little short, but it hit White right in the hands.

Yeah Revis absolutely shut down Reggie in that game. I believe his only catch was a screen for like 2 yards.

But on your other point yeah it was a deep post that was a little underthrown, but a ball that hit Blair right in his hands.

Actually I'm way wrong, it was a back shoulder throw to the sideline. Blair still dropped it though. The play is at 4:47 if anyone is interested.

http://youtu.be/cM0cHjAegdQ

Maybe i'm thinking of a different play because thats not how i remember it. I thought it was a designed roll out away from pressure and a short throw toward the sideline. It was a 3rd and very managable. The throw was low and white hit the ground trying to make the catch. It did hit his hands but he dropped it. I agree with yehoodi, could have been caught but wasn't an easy catch.

okay then i am off, i have to check the video, i thought he rolled out to the near side of the field and threw teh ball to the WR who was near the 20 or something, it was like 3rd down and medium, and the guy was covered but was in front of the defender and PM threw it at the guys knees and he dived for the ball and could not come up with it, . . . either way it was tough throw as PM was rolling out . . . i might be wrong tho . . .

You were right. I went and checked I was thinking of the wrong play.

Maybe i'm thinking of a different play because thats not how i remember it. I thought it was a designed roll out away from pressure and a short throw toward the sideline. It was a 3rd and very managable. The throw was low and white hit the ground trying to make the catch. It did hit his hands but he dropped it. I agree with yehoodi, could have been caught but wasn't an easy catch.

No you're right. I was thinking of the wrong play. I linked the video above.

No it was not a post since they only needed a 1st down to run out the clock, move the chain a little more, and kick the field goal to seal the deal. The threw a back shoulder such that nobody could catch it but White. White was a 6'-3'' tall guy but Manning threw it low (around the height of White's knee) and White had to reach it with some efforts and failed.

In Manning's career I just don't remember he ever finished when he had this kind of opportunities to seal the deal, except for the 06 super bowl winning season he sealed the deal at Baltimore throwing to Clark, and came back at home against the Pats.

No it was not a post since they only needed a 1st down to run out the clock, move the chain a little more, and kick the field goal to seal the deal. The threw a back shoulder such that nobody could catch it but White. White was a 6'-3'' tall guy but Manning threw it low (around the height of White's knee) and White had to reach it with some efforts and failed.

In Manning's career I just don't remember he ever finished when he had this kind of opportunities to seal the deal, except for the 06 super bowl winning season he sealed the deal at Baltimore throwing to Clark, and came back at home against the Pats.

I know, I said above that I was thinking of the wrong play. I linked the video above.

One main difference was, Peyton was in FG position, Brady was not, plus Peyton's WR Blair White was played in man coverage and had little separation on Eric Smith, the safety while Welker was inside a zone vs the Giants, if I remember accurately.

yes the safety was a good distance from welker . . . if i remember the post game talk, the safety said he was confused as to what to do at that time, which in turn made him a little out of sorts with the rest of his 10 teammates as to where he was supposed to be positioned in that given defense, and thus made it tough on Brady to figure what he is doing as he is out of position . . . and Brady was injured too in the 4th qtr . . .

but regardless, Brady did not have to throw it to welker back shoulder, much less over compenstate . . . indeed a throw to his hands/leading him would of been a easy catch, first down surely, and maybe even a TD, with the later sealing the game . . .

Brady does well, but that throw is a bad memory for me . . . :( . . .

I know, I said above that I was thinking of the wrong play. I linked the video above.

So do you now understand why I have criticized Manning so harshly recently? There are just too many moments like this, which he could have delivered and win the big game by a better throw or better decision but instead he blew. I just remember them so very clearly. So much pain.

So do you now understand why I have criticized Manning so harshly recently? There are just too many moments like this, which he could have delivered and win the big game by a better throw or better decision but instead he blew. I just remember them so very clearly. So much pain.

I don't know how Manning is somehow responsible for a 70 yard TD with 30 seconds left, but I guess if you think he is then I will respect your opinion.

BTW Did you even watch the play above? Any receiver on the team other than White would have caught that.

The Volek Chargers game they had 4 chances inside the 10 to take the lead and ran the ball 3 times and never scored.

The one in SD Manning got sacked when we could have iced the game. I think a TE blew a block so it's fair to give him a pass there.

The Pittsburg game he took a couple deep shots in short yardage when they could have just tried to get closer for a FG. Vandy missed the kick. Really though they played awful on offense in that game and never should have been it. The overturned INT was a horrible call and a huge gift.

The Jets game above of course. A first down seals that game as long as Vinny makes the kick.

Some of these games should have never came to this though. There were opportunities missed throughout the game. This past weekends game i go back to the 3rd qtr after the Flacco fumble gave them great field position with a 7 point lead. Manning did nothing with it. The next possession, he fumbled. He could have put the game away early.