Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Stuff On Peyton, Did Anyone Else Hear This?

ColtsHappy

I was on a quick ride to get some gas and I caught a guy calling in on the NFL Network a day or two ago (Sirius) talking about Peyton. I wasn't in the car long enough to even note who the hosts were, so I can't give any details about that part of this, sorry.  Maybe some of you also heard it.

He was saying that his brother is a big time neurosurgeon in St. Louis and his brother had remarked to him how "heavy, out of breath type" breathing in extremely cold air could wreak havoc on metal screws and plates in the neck. He added that when the plates and screws get really cold it could easily cause temporary numbness in the hands. With the thin air in Denver he surmised that this could possibly be even more severe of an effect than it might be in a different NFL city.

He was also commenting about the glove that Peyton has been wearing on his right hand the last couple of games. He speculated that Peyton was merely using the glove in those games as a warm-up  exercise -  in preparation for the upcoming game on saturday. The temperature in those games has not been extreme at all. However, last I looked game time in Denver was going to be 15 degrees and with the chill as low as 2 degrees.

The theory is that - should he start to feel some numbness - (maybe he already has) - the customized special grip on the gloves will hopefully help get him through it.

Comment as you see fit.

I was on a quick ride to get some gas and I caught a guy calling in on the NFL Network a day or two ago (Sirius) talking about Peyton. I wasn't in the car long enough to even note who the hosts were, so I can't give any details about that part of this, sorry. Maybe some of you also heard it.

He was saying that his brother is a big time neurosurgeon in St. Louis and his brother had remarked to him how "heavy, out of breath type" breathing in extremely cold air could wreak havoc on metal screws and plates in the neck. He added that when the plates and screws get really cold it could easily cause temporary numbness in the hands. With the thin air in Denver he surmised that this could possibly be even more severe of an effect than it might be in a different NFL city.

He was also commenting about the glove that Peyton has been wearing on his right hand the last couple of games. He speculated that Peyton was merely using the glove in those games as a warm-up exercise - in preparation for the upcoming game on saturday. The temperature in those games has not been extreme at all. However, last I looked game time in Denver was going to be 15 degrees and with the chill as low as 2 degrees.

The theory is that - should he start to feel some numbness - (maybe he already has) - the customized special grip on the gloves will hopefully help get him through it.

Comment as you see fit.

Espn had s story about the glove. He has hard time gripping the ball in cold weather due to the nerves in his neck.

Here is his quote on it

"I certainly don't think I would have had to wear the glove had I not been injured last year," he said. "It's part of my injury, some things that I've had to adjust. I'm in a different body, some things are different for me, so that's the reason for that as much as anything."

I have a plate and four screws in my right hand and a plate and seven screws in my shoulder. When it's very cold out, I can feel them. And the presence of them inevitably causes some minor blood circulation issues that don't help the cause. I've got to be very cautious about my hand and make sure that it doesn't get too cold if I'm outdoors in the winter, whether it's climbing or shoveling my driveway.

That said, I don't believe Manning had any surgical plates/screws/rods or anything inserted in his neck. And if he did, they would have come out. Professional football players can't have implants permanently... if I broke the same bones with the hardware in them, they'd shatter. (Or so I'm told.)

If his nerves are still in the process of regenerating, I would assume that what others have said (a little trouble with his grip) is dead on. That would be further impacted by the cold, since flesh gets numb when you're out in it.

I've not heard of any plates/screws/rods inserted either..

In any event, Let's not look to blame the weather for any excuses, and keep in mind, this is not a one-man team.

If the Whole team Shows up Ready to play, and the Defense can take care of Flacco, and Rice, and if Denver's running game is effective, then, No worries. I have complete confidence in Peyton doing his part.

I think he has some numbness....agreed...but he's thrown better with the glove than he did without it...

I think he anticipated this.......but the kid of passe he throws...short darts..wont be affected ...deep ones might be..

But he might have some warmers inside his shoulder pads.....to keep his temp up

But Gramz is right...there are no excuses for someone like Manning..

.the big question Saturday might be how Joe Flacco throws the ball..

Yeah, Peyton said that the glove helps with grip, and if he never had surgery, then he most likely wouldnt be wearing a glove. He said its just one side effect of having that type of surgery. Nothing to worry about though. 

OK, Here is the only thing I can find online about it....

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/09/inside-peyton-mannings-surgery/

Anyone else?

But it specifically says that they may have used screws and plates:

"Manning had a procedure called a single level anterior fusion. That involves making an incision at the front of the neck, without cutting any muscles. The disc is removed from the nerve and spinal cord. The surgeon then fills the open disc space with a bone graft. The graft acts as a bridge between the two vertebrae, creating a spinal fusion. Metal plates and screws are often used to hold the bone graft and vertebrae together."

Really not trying to be a smartbutt but do we really know for a fact that he doesn't have them?

Anyone have anything else?

Comment as you see fit.

ColtsHappy

see this post http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/14627-peytons-workout-at-duke-video/

Thanks so much to all for the info and kind responses. I wasn't sure if Manning had any "hardware" in his neck or not, but the guy who called in sure had me thinking....

ColtsHappy

I was on a quick ride to get some gas and I caught a guy calling in on the NFL Network a day or two ago (Sirius) talking about Peyton. I wasn't in the car long enough to even note who the hosts were, so I can't give any details about that part of this, sorry.  Maybe some of you also heard it.

He was also commenting about the glove that Peyton has been wearing on his right hand the last couple of games. He speculated that Peyton was merely using the glove in those games as a warm-up  exercise -  in preparation for the upcoming game on saturday. The temperature in those games has not been extreme at all. However, last I looked game time in Denver was going to be 15 degrees and with the chill as low as 2 degrees.

Comment as you see fit.

Espn had s story about the glove. He has hard time gripping the ball in cold weather due to the nerves in his neck.

Dont think he has any metal parts in his neck. The surgery took a piece of his own hip bone for the fusion, and nothing metal was needed after it healed.

There are no screws or plates in Mannings neck, but if he did, this would make sense.

Yeah ESPN already mentioned this but didn't mention any screws or plates. They just said Manning is having a hard time gripping in cold weather or something. 

I've not heard of any plates/screws/rods inserted either..

In any event, Let's not look to blame the weather for any excuses, and keep in mind, this is not a one-man team.

If the Whole team Shows up Ready to play, and the Defense can take care of Flacco, and Rice, and if Denver's running game is effective, then, No worries. I have complete confidence in Peyton doing his part.

I think he has some numbness....agreed...but he's thrown better with the glove than he did without it...

I  

.the big question Saturday might be how Joe Flacco throws the ball..

Due to the nerve injury & lack of,,  as   it was put,,  full recovery as of now,  there is numbness in the cold and peyton couldn't feel the ball at all enough to grip it, the glove warms   enough he can feel and grip, With the extreme cold hopefully the glove will still keep it warm enough to feel 

I posted on forum in another topic   a huge article detailing this when story broke but no longer have link, 

There is no metal in his neck to my knowlege as noted earlier in thread his own bone was reportedly used as a bridge to fuse the area ,

USUALLY IF NOT ALL THE TIME  procedures do use a plate & screw thats removable to hold the bone in place though as fusion occurs , a millimeter of movement can change results and does in fact change way bone heals , once fused the metal can be removed

I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS WHAT PEYTON HAD DONE NOR IF THIS IS DONE IN NECK< IDID ANKLE & FOOT SURGERY BEFORE DISABLED AND DID MANY FUSIONS, sometimes i left in pending the type of fusion & if it bothered the patient  or not, others u must take out 

as far as metal causing cold, I hhave metal in both ankles ,. more on right than left, both getr extremely cold and numb even in the hopuse at trimes , when I am sick with chills  they  feel totally  frozen

to take out screws are quite simple, the long plate can be done but more invasive and really not worth it as by now its basically incorporatedv withion the tissue of the boner covering so to speak