Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Two articles on Peyton

BayAreaBronco

From USA Today

Archie Manning has been making it a point not to bother his son too much during his first season in Denver, but this much is clear from those phone calls: Peyton Manning is happy and enjoying football more than ever.

"I know for sure he's not taking it for granted. I think he's elated," Archie Manning told USA TODAY Sports this week. "Peyton's always been a grinder, but I think he's enjoying it more. I think he maybe reflects more, and he's soaking up every moment."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/01/10/denver-broncos-peyton-manning-comes-back-strong/1825109/

From Yahoo

"He wants it to be perfect every time," Thomas said. "I used to round my routes, not make a clean break every time. He started saying, 'You round your route, you don't get the ball.' He wasn't yelling or anything, but you could tell he was serious. I never had anybody work with me like that before, push me so hard to be right every single time."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--broncos-enjoying-real-deal-at-qb-with-peyton-manning-heading-into-playoff-opener-060253724.html

So he is enjoying it more in Denver than he ever did in Indy. Yup. Our dear friend and legend is a PR genius as well as an all time great. Telling the Denver media just what they want to hear. Sometimes I do miss him, and I bet Mr Luck is watching everything the guy does....on and off the field.

So he is enjoying it more in Denver than he ever did in Indy. Yup. Our dear friend and legend is a PR genius as well as an all time great. Telling the Denver media just what they want to hear. Sometimes I do miss him, and I bet Mr Luck is watching everything the guy does....on and off the field.

To me clearly he did not feel happy about how they handled the situation before they released him. They just did not talk to him at all and then came up with the decision. I noticed he tried to avoid mentioning Colts and Andrew Luck in different interviews.

To me clearly he did not feel happy about how they handled the situation before they released him. They just did not talk to him at all and then came up with the decision. I noticed he tried to avoid mentioning Colts and Andrew Luck in different interviews.

You may be correct, but there is no 'clearly' involved whatsoever. Just heresay, conjecture and guesswork. I suppose it doesn't really matter, the deed is done, and most people are happy.....in Indy and Denver....

My take on the first article was that he is loving playing football more than ever because he realizes how close he was to losing it.  I don't think it has anything to do with him not liking Indy.  If you ask him, I think he would truthfully say he loved playing in Indy.  I just think that he enjoys football in general more now that he was so close to losing it.  He nearly lost it, realized he had opportunities to still play, so now he enjoys every opportunity he has whereas before his injury, he might have taken some of it for granted.  The article even says it straight up:

It's not that Manning ever stopped loving football. But after neck surgeries — four of them over 18 months — forced him to miss the 2011 season, Manning has learned to appreciate all of the moments along the way.

So it was never an issue of Denver vs. Indy and how he was treated in Indy.  Let's not put words into Peyton or Archie's mouth.

My take on the first article was that he is loving playing football more than ever because he realizes how close he was to losing it.  I don't think it has anything to do with him not liking Indy.  If you ask him, I think he would truthfully say he loved playing in Indy.  I just think that he enjoys football in general more now that he was so close to losing it.  He nearly lost it, realized he had opportunities to still play, so now he enjoys every opportunity he has whereas before his injury, he might have taken some of it for granted.  The article even says it straight up:

It's not that Manning ever stopped loving football. But after neck surgeries — four of them over 18 months — forced him to miss the 2011 season, Manning has learned to appreciate all of the moments along the way.

So it was never an issue of Denver vs. Indy and how he was treated in Indy.  Let's not put words into Peyton or Archie's mouth.

My thoughts exactly.  That is  what I took from that article. 

I agree. I know you guys saw how upset he was when he was released. He loved his time in Indy. And I think he appreciates and is loving his time here in Denver. We really are a great organization and Im sure he is grateful that he was able to start new after his injury. Both of our teams got put into pretty good situations if you ask me. 

Couldn't have said it better. It is like "you dont know what you have till it is almost gone or sometimes gone forever". It is like cherishing life after a near-death experience, and for Peyton, football is life.

It was painfully obvious from every scowl and the intense look in his eyes on the sidelines last year that every fiber in his body wanted longed to be out on the field. He has a newfound appreciation for the sport. Of course I'm sure he's thrilled about the early success with his new team.

"When you miss a year, you don't know how much you miss it until you miss it."

I always wonder how athletes adjust to their livelihood being threatened & what will they do after football is over as an occupation. Peyton has a strong family life & he will make this transition smoothly. I could see #18 on NFL Network as an analyst pretty easily.

"You round your route, you don't get the ball.' He wasn't yelling or anything, but you could tell he was serious. I never had anybody work with me like that before, push me so hard to be right every single time."

Precision= longterm dependability & success game in game out.