Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Major Team Needs That Have Gone Unaddressed Were Exposed Today

PreManningColtsFan

To say "unaddressed" (which isn't a word) is to imply that this organization doesn't try.

We drafted two big offensive linemen.

We drafted a big DT, and brought in as many as 5 other Free Agents, all larger than what we are accustomed to, and all who supposedly specialize in stuffing the run. We brought in a LB who fits the same description.

We picked up a very talented Safety named Lefeged to help our depth, as well as our Special Teams unit.

We drafted a big, durable running back.

Manning took a pay cut to clear space for these moves.

We spent to pretty much the limit of our cap to surround Manning with a team that alleviated the pressure he faces.

How in the world is this failing to address our primary concerns?

Because we didn't get Haynesworth or a 38 year old Williams? Yeah...we will see how that pans out.

We didn't get a star corner? For one, no team can get players for every position that they want, and I would argue all day that the lines were a far bigger need. And secondly, the potentially available star corners (Asamougha and Samuel), were going to cost a truck load of money that we didn't have. They also didn't play in systems remotely close to our own.

I understand you folks are frustrated. This was shaping up to be a special season, prior to Manning's setback. But to claim that this organization did anything less than exceptional work in terms of trying to address our most pressing needs is just bitterness blinding your logic. You sound foolish. If the fixes were easy, no team would have flaws.

Thus isn't a statement of homerism. Just pure, explicit truth. Was every decision perfect? Of course not, but they made them all in an attempt to address the major weaknesses among our personnel. Just a few short asks ago, the same lot of you were praising how well we addressed the trenches; now you're flipping the script to sound right based on one game.

seriously who out of our team can secure a starting job in other NFL teams? I see Wayne, Clark, and maybe Mathis and Bathea (Freeny does not tackle, so he may be situational for some teams), that's about it. as a team we dont have enough talent. we were less talented than the texans team we faces and this has been the same problem in the past 2 years. they got many good players from the draft and there would be certain time they become better than us. even Manning needed a almost perfect game to beat them. this being said it may not be a bad thing to suck for 1 yr and get the talent from the next draft.

So you think that they went 14-0 and to the Super Bowl the year before last simply because of Manning?

I think he's amazing too, but try tempering your comments with at least a dash of reality.

By the way, Freeney is universally regarded as one of the best pass rushers in recent memory. There isn't a team in football that wouldn't take him in a heartbeat.

I will be the first to come on here and admit when I'm wrong and when I overreact. My post today isn't an overeaction.

Yes, actually your post is a serious overreaction.

No-body expects the Colts to win 12 games without Manning, but an opening day loss on the road against a high octane arch rival who treats our game each year likes it's their Super Bowl, with a QB who is still trying to learn the system and a newly re-constituted o-line that is still trying to mesh is hardly reason to condemn the entire organization.

I saw plenty of bright spots, and fully expect dramatic improvement through the course of the season.

I am pretty much absolving the players of blame. The front office is to blame.

As long as there is someone to blame that's all that really matters I guess.

Perhaps it's Blues fault! (I'd better not say that, some people on here might act on it).

To say "unaddressed" (which isn't a word) is to imply that this organization doesn't try.

We drafted two big offensive linemen.

We drafted a big DT, and brought in as many as 5 other Free Agents, all larger than what we are accustomed to, and all who supposedly specialize in stuffing the run. We brought in a LB who fits the same description.

We picked up a very talented Safety named Lefeged to help our depth, as well as our Special Teams unit.

We drafted a big, durable running back.

Manning took a pay cut to clear space for these moves.

We spent to pretty much the limit of our cap to surround Manning with a team that alleviated the pressure he faces.

How in the world is this failing to address our primary concerns?

Because we didn't get Haynesworth or a 38 year old Williams? Yeah...we will see how that pans out.

We didn't get a star corner? For one, no team can get players for every position that they want, and I would argue all day that the lines were a far bigger need. And secondly, the potentially available star corners (Asamougha and Samuel), were going to cost a truck load of money that we didn't have. They also didn't play in systems remotely close to our own.

I understand you folks are frustrated. This was shaping up to be a special season, prior to Manning's setback. But to claim that this organization did anything less than exceptional work in terms of trying to address our most pressing needs is just bitterness blinding your logic. You sound foolish. If the fixes were easy, no team would have flaws.

Thus isn't a statement of homerism. Just pure, explicit truth. Was every decision perfect? Of course not, but they made them all in an attempt to address the major weaknesses among our personnel. Just a few short asks ago, the same lot of you were praising how well we addressed the trenches; now you're flipping the script to sound right based on one game.

No one can fault Polian for not trying....it just hasn't worked out. Almost everything he's tried at DT has blown up...and the Corey Simon experience was a good reason NOT to overplay the free agency route.

We've kicked around the O-line and D-line issues for 4 years now and the front office efforts have just not panned out. As far as Castonzo/Ijalana/Nevis bearing fruit....we know that will take time but they were the correct areas to address.

Special teams? I wish I had an answer.

Something as sudden, at least publicly, as Peyton's neck injury is bound to elicit some drastic responses.

But I still think we're 7-9, at best, this season.

31 passes, 16 runs. Something else that's been a problem for the last 6 years.

Honestly, they fell behind too early to even give the RB's a chance. Addai & Carter looked really good when given the carries. Hopefully next week's game is a bit more competitive & we'll get to see those 2 guys go to work.

Next week will tell us a lot. Not many of us expected them to win at Houston but they should at least be competitive at home against Cleveland.

I didn't think they would beat the Texans but, I did think the Colts would be able to compete.

I thought it would be an exciting game.

I didn't think they would get embarrassed.

Good post to the OP. This team seems to continue to have the same problems and doesn't address them. The mentality was if it's not broke don't fix it. With Manning the Colts were able to win in spite of all of these glaring problems, but not any more. The interior D-line has been a problem since I can remember and has only been decent a few times, one of those years we won the Superbowl and the season before we should have went undefeated. As far as the O-line, atleast they have made an effort there in the draft, we will see how that pans out. Although picking up a free agent with some experience would have been a good idea for this season. Special teams hasn't been good since I can remember, minus Hunter Smith being a good punter. At their best they just aren't horrible. The defense has not been good for the past couple of years either. Dungy made it work as well as he could and he was a master of the Cover 2 system utilizing undersized players. The problem now is Dungy is gone and that defense was built for the RCA Dome, not grass or astroturf. It's time to get bigger players and change the system. The problem is Caldwell doesn't know better, he doesn't have his own system. He seems to be living off Manning running the offense and calling plays Dungy used.

So you think that they went 14-0 and to the Super Bowl the year before last simply because of Manning?

I think he's amazing too, but try tempering your comments with at least a dash of reality.

By the way, Freeney is universally regarded as one of the best pass rushers in recent memory. There isn't a team in football that wouldn't take him in a heartbeat.

Yes, I do believe that. Seven 4th quarter comebacks including 5 in a row.

And as to that season, I think the 2 losses are more important right now than the 14 wins.

This team has never looked the same since they quit and they never had a single comeback last year.

Honestly I think they lost some of their heart when Polian made them give up their shot at a perfect season.

I agree with you on Freeney as a pass rusher but he has been a little suspect against the run.

All of which counts for nothing this year. Now they are 0-1.

The first 4 games with Matt Cassel, the Pats were 2-2. That is why I am hoping we beat the Browns and go 1-1 to be .500 for a start. Then, we can take it from there. I dread remembering the Titans start under Collins when they went 0-6 (the 6th game was a 59-24 romp at Foxboro if I remember it right) before Bud Adams asked Jeff Fisher to play VY and he went on a 6 or 7 game winning streak before we stopped him dead in his tracks and then the Chargers pummeled him during Christmas at Tennessee to basically snuff out their last breath in the 2009 season.