Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Major Team Needs That Have Gone Unaddressed Were Exposed Today

PreManningColtsFan

If you recall a post from last week I made addressing specific concerns on this team and have said several times in the past feww years and prior to Manning's injury this year (no original thoughts here), what we are seeing is the result of:

- Missed draft picks (Brown / Hughes / Ugoh to name a few)

- Aging Playerse

- Basing an entire team around 1 player

- Denial of general flaws (small fast players and inability to address blatant flaws: Special teams and interior defensive line)

I think we are about to see this teams mistakes in the draft and overall scheme (small quick players) and building a team around 1 player (Manning) become not only exposed, but it's going to take a few years to build a solid team. Even if Manning comes back, we need a player that will be the future of this franchise at that position. Our defensive line, particularly against the run, is a joke and has been for years. Our special teams coverage is a travesty. Opening kickoff is fielded 5 yards deep in the end zone and taken out to the 40. Jacoby Jones returns a punt 79 for a td and is never touched.

I don't think Caldwell, in all due respect and while a very nice man and a man of morals, has no business being a head coach in this league. This team was not ready today and seemed uninspired. Maybe it's not fair to compare him to Belichick, but I couldn't help thinking what it would be like if we had someone like him on the sidelines. In Foxborough, it's about the team, not one player. This franchise, whether right or wrong, has allowed this team to be about one player. What we are seeing is the fallout from that fact. Heck, we even built our defense around him.

I was a fan before Peyton and I'll remain one after he's gone, whenever that may occur. However, I had a feeling that not only would we not win many games this year, but our losses would be very lopsided. It wouldn't even be close.

It's not fair to base my decision off of one game, particularly with Collins having so little time with our group. But if today proved anything, it proved we simply aren't a good TEAM. That is the bottom line to me. I was at the game and it was rough. Stayed all the way through it. I say brace yourselves fans, because the next few years are going to be rough. Whether Manning is with us or not. Just too many holes that have gone unfilled for years and that exposure was on full display today.

Myself and others went on and on for the last 2 weeks telling people to temper their expectations. Not because this team sucks and the season is lost. Because this team has been put in an unusually difficult position with the loss of Manning snuggled between the 11th hour end of the lockout and the last week of preseason.

A landslide of stupidity and angst has smothered any semblance of common sense by many of our fans. Emotions are defeating reason.

We will bounce back because we have smart, championship, probowl vets, patient coaches and a culture of winning that cannot be thrown in the crapper because of one ugly loss.

I agree totally I'm glad I couldn't watch the game but listen on radio! Our run defense is worst in all of football. Did freeney moala and Johnson play too day!!!!!""""" Linkenbach! Are you kidding! Lacey! ! Our special teams is horrid!!!" Has been for years! We are in for long long season and unless we get new front office making better decisions it will only get worse! Embarrassed! !!"" Collins can't take snap from center17 yrs and you can't take snap from center! I was supportive of him too! I'm sorry never seen a bunch of million dollar babies with no heart!!!!! All week long they said we don't need motivated we do what we do! Next man up! Are you kidding back up and get your paychecks then turn around and give them back!!!!!

Hidden

I agree totally I'm glad I couldn't watch the game but listen on radio! Our run defense is worst in all of football. Did freeney moala and Johnson play too day!!!!!""""" Linkenbach! Are you kidding! Lacey! ! Our special teams is horrid!!!" Has been for years! We are in for long long season and unless we get new front office making better decisions it will only get worse! Embarrassed! !!"" Collins can't take snap from center17 yrs and you can't take snap from center! I was supportive of him too! I'm sorry never seen a bunch of million dollar babies with no heart!!!!! All week long they said we don't need motivated we do what we do! Next man up! Are you kidding back up and get your paychecks then turn around and give them back!!!!!

My brother and I talked about this this morning. We are going to have to start changing out philosophy here soon. What we have been doing is not going to work much longer with Peyton, we will be okay when he comes back, but when he retires we will need to do a lot of shuffling around. This system does not work without a great QB.

Myself and others went on and on for the last 2 weeks telling people to temper their expectations. Not because this team sucks and the season is lost. Because this team has been put in an unusually difficult position with the loss of Manning snuggled between the 11th hour end of the lockout and the last week of preseason.

A landslide of stupidity and angst has smothered any semblance of common sense by many of our fans. Emotions are defeating reason.

We will bounce back because we have smart, championship, pro bowl vets, patient coaches and a culture of winning that cannot be thrown in the crapper because of one ugly loss.

You my friend, in all due respect, are in complete denial. Yes, we are a professional club. Yes, we have done things the right way and have a patient staff. You missed my entire point. We have enormous flaws that have continued to go unaddressed. When addressed in the draft, we have missed a la Hughes, Brown, Ugoh, etc. I will be the first to come on here and admit when I'm wrong and when I overreact. My post today isn't an overeaction. My expectations aren't for us to have a winning season. I expect us to have 6 or fewer wins. My expectation is to actually show up and compete. Today was a complete embarassment. We have a ton of talent and some very big contracts on that defense. They were nowhere today. Special teams remain a joke. Coaches don't have a clue. I feel like a broken record.........

My brother and I talked about this this morning. We are going to have to start changing out philosophy here soon. What we have been doing is not going to work much longer with Peyton, we will be okay when he comes back, but when he retires we will need to do a lot of shuffling around. This system does not work without a great QB.

That's a given. Obviously you build your team around your strengths. It's worked so far, there's no denying that. Anyone who thinks we "deserve more SBs" aren't being realistic. You can only win a SB by getting into the playoffs.

But you can see the changes already being set in motion, going with bigger linemen and backs. Bigger D players too. It's not going to happen over night.

You my friend, in all due respect, are in complete denial. Yes, we are a professional club. Yes, we have done things the right way and have a patient staff. You missed my entire point. We have enormous flaws that have continued to go unaddressed. When addressed in the draft, we have missed a la Hughes, Brown, Ugoh, etc. I will be the first to come on here and admit when I'm wrong and when I overreact. My post today isn't an overeaction. My expectations aren't for us to have a winning season. I expect us to have 6 or fewer wins. My expectation is to actually show up and compete. Today was a complete embarassment. We have a ton of talent and some very big contracts on that defense. They were nowhere today. Special teams remain a joke. Coaches don't have a clue. I feel like a broken record.........

Denial of what?

I knew we'd lose today, big. I called it Houston 37 Indy 13 before the game. I knew it would be ugly as a can of smashed buttholes. But I also know this doesn't mean the Colts are doomed and this will continue.

Our defense was thrown in the thrasher by two mistakes in particular on offense (fumbles on the oppositions side of the 50). You cannot repeatedly put that kind of pressure on a D, it will not hold.

I'm tellin you, I'm not a cheerleader type, I'm tellin ya bro, we aren't as bad as the box-score looked today. It will get better from here on out, I promise you this.

We got away with drafting bust for years, now it's finally being exposed, especially by team that have been drafting to beat us(Texans).

Shouldn't we be drafting to beat our biggest rivals, or road block teams that stop us from getting to the SB?

We draft to make the playoffs, but not to really compete in the playoffs like other teams do.

Denial of what?

I knew we'd lose today, big. I called it Houston 37 Indy 13 before the game. I knew it would be ugly as a can of smashed buttholes. But I also know this doesn't mean the Colts are doomed and this will continue.

Our defense was thrown in the thrasher by two mistakes in particular on offense (fumbles on the oppositions side of the 50). You cannot repeatedly put that kind of pressure on a D, it will not hold.

I'm tellin you, I'm not a cheerleader type, I'm tellin ya bro, we aren't as bad as the box-score looked today. It will get better from here on out, I promise you this.

Brother..........I hope you're right. But even as Collins gets more comfortable with our offense, we aren't a good TEAM. Our first unit D gave up huge yards all preseason and it did again today. The bottom line is they aren't good. Secondary is thin and our defensive line got pushed all over the field. I realize they got dealt bad hands on two possessions with short fields, but they still gave up 27 points in the first half. I have no doubt we will improved, but really, now could we be worse and improving makes us an average team at best. I will be shocked if we win more than 6 games.

If you recall a post from last week I made addressing specific concerns on this team and have said several times in the past feww years and prior to Manning's injury this year (no original thoughts here), what we are seeing is the result of:

- Aging Playerse

- Denial of general flaws (small fast players and inability to address blatant flaws: Special teams and interior defensive line)

I think we are about to see this teams mistakes in the draft and overall scheme (small quick players) and building a team around 1 player (Manning) become not only exposed, but it's going to take a few years to build a solid team. Even if Manning comes back, we need a player that will be the future of this franchise at that position. Our defensive line, particularly against the run, is a joke and has been for years. Our special teams coverage is a travesty. Opening kickoff is fielded 5 yards deep in the end zone and taken out to the 40. Jacoby Jones returns a punt 79 for a td and is never touched.

I don't think Caldwell, in all due respect and while a very nice man and a man of morals, has no business being a head coach in this league. This team was not ready today and seemed uninspired. Maybe it's not fair to compare him to Belichick, but I couldn't help thinking what it would be like if we had someone like him on the sidelines. In Foxborough, it's about the team, not one player. This franchise, whether right or wrong, has allowed this team to be about one player. What we are seeing is the fallout from that fact. Heck, we even built our defense around him.

I was a fan before Peyton and I'll remain one after he's gone, whenever that may occur. However, I had a feeling that not only would we not win many games this year, but our losses would be very lopsided. It wouldn't even be close.

It's not fair to base my decision off of one game, particularly with Collins having so little time with our group. But if today proved anything, it proved we simply aren't a good TEAM. That is the bottom line to me. I was at the game and it was rough. Stayed all the way through it. I say brace yourselves fans, because the next few years are going to be rough. Whether Manning is with us or not. Just too many holes that have gone unfilled for years and that exposure was on full display today.

i agree we have not fixed the same problems we have had for years. still cant run the ball, still cant cover kicks, still cant protect the qb, still cant stop the run, still cant stop a tall receiver (too short), still playing let them catch then tackle defense instead of attacking the ball. I will still root for them but hope they fix these old problems.

We're fine as a team. I believe we actually should've won that game. Relax we have a backup quarterback under center. It's going to take time for us to play together and hold out until or if Peyton returns. We are capable of winnning without him. Our defense actually didn't play bad at all today, they got turnsovers. Scaub's had a few good passes, but was picked twice today. We could get anything going on offense thats why we lost today. Houston had short fields most of this game because of our offense. This lost was a bad one, but we need to get something going on offense. Special teams gave up a touchdown, we could've made that tackle. We have to get going on offense and we're going to make it to the Superbowl. We just have to keep fighting! Go Colts!

- Aging Playerse

That's a given. Obviously you build your team around your strengths. It's worked so far, there's no denying that. Anyone who thinks we "deserve more SBs" aren't being realistic. You can only win a SB by getting into the playoffs.

But you can see the changes already being set in motion, going with bigger linemen and backs. Bigger D players too. It's not going to happen over night.

I agree it has worked, but I am not so sure they are making the right moves you refer to. Doesn't matter if they are bigger lineman, they have to be good. They can all be 250lbs for all I care as long as they can block. Polian said after the Super Bowl loss that lineman was a problem, nothing besides Castonzo has really been done. Bringing in undrafted free agents is not going to keep getting it done. Our corners need improvement, but nothing gets done about it, same with LB's, better players need to be brought in.

Hello Colts fans. I stated in Aug that the team is going in the wrong direction. SPECIAL TEAMS, DEFENSE, OFFENSE. We need a true head coach(one that doesnt look like he is lost), special teams coach, defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator. I know that Peyton Manning is hurt but why in the heck didnt he have surgery right after the 2010 season. He wasnt involved in the negotiations of the lockout. The Colts dont want to pay anybody, therefore you see player needs in all aspects of the team. Go after David Garrard, he is better than Kerry Collins. I know when Jim Caldwell was named head coach, it was a cheap move for the organization. I dont want to hear any excuses and i know this is week one but i guarantee that it wont get better. I hope Jim Irsay sees this because he cant take a blind eye to this.

We're fine as a team. I believe we actually should've won that game. Relax we have a backup quarterback under center. It's going to take time for us to play together and hold out until or if Peyton returns. We are capable of winnning without him. Our defense actually didn't play bad at all today, they got turnsovers. Scaub's had a few good passes, but was picked twice today. We could get anything going on offense thats why we lost today. Houston had short fields most of this game because of our offense. This lost was a bad one, but we need to get something going on offense. Special teams gave up a touchdown, we could've made that tackle. We have to get going on offense and we're going to make it to the Superbowl. We just have to keep fighting! Go Colts!

You can not actually believe this. The only reason the Colts didn't lose by 60 points today was because the Texans took their foot off the gas after halftime. I was defending this team a few days ago when so many were saying we weren't gonna win 3 games without Manning, but with a performance like today, well, theres no defending it. I think they may gel together a little more than they showed today, but the defense was flat terrible and I don't see how they can fix it with the personel we have now. It is going to take a remarkable turn around next week for me to have any faith they can fix the mess I seen today. I'll be there rooting for them every step of the way even if they lose 16 straight games, but I do not have to pretend to myself or to others that this effort today was anything more than flat out awful.

Hello Colts fans. I stated in Aug that the team is going in the wrong direction. SPECIAL TEAMS, DEFENSE, OFFENSE. We need a true head coach(one that doesnt look like he is lost), special teams coach, defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator. I know that Peyton Manning is hurt but why in the heck didnt he have surgery right after the 2010 season. He wasnt involved in the negotiations of the lockout. The Colts dont want to pay anybody, therefore you see player needs in all aspects of the team. Go after David Garrard, he is better than Kerry Collins. I know when Jim Caldwell was named head coach, it was a cheap move for the organization. I dont want to hear any excuses and i know this is week one but i guarantee that it wont get better. I hope Jim Irsay sees this because he cant take a blind eye to this.

i agree we need changes but the FO does a very poor job of salary cap management, thats why we cant sign big name players. undrafted players will work cheap and when and if they become good and want more money, we have to let them go because of bad cap management

Settle down, its week one and week one is always screwy. And most of the time not anything like the way the team will be for the season.

But without manning to make up for our soft run D, and freaking disgustingly horrible ST. The close games that we used to win, we will not.

For me i will never understand ignoring ST, is field position not important? ST have been so bad for so long, with no evidence they have even tried to improve it.

heck they will not even speak the words Special Teams, can't recall ever hearing them speak of it. lol

Anyhow its a long season, so at least give them a few games before ya burn them at the stake.

We will bounce back because we have smart, championship, probowl vets, patient coaches and a culture of winning that cannot be thrown in the crapper because of one ugly loss.

+1

Thank you

I wonder if Steelers' fans are being so doom and gloom as well.

That being said, very disappointed in the run defence and disgusted in the kick and punt coverage. Not surprised about the sluggish offence. Colts have lost bad in the past few years a few times, though, even in the year they won the Super Bowl. Sure things are concerning, but I think it's premature to give up just yet.

I wonder if Steelers' fans are being so doom and gloom as well.

That being said, very disappointed in the run defence and disgusted in the kick and punt coverage. Not surprised about the sluggish offence. Colts have lost bad in the past few years a few times, though, even in the year they won the Super Bowl. Sure things are concerning, but I think it's premature to give up just yet.

For everbody who mentions the steelers and other good teams who lost today,those teams have a quarterback.So stop comparing them to us.

For everbody who mentions the steelers and other good teams who lost today,those teams have a quarterback.So stop comparing them to us.

All the more reason for them to be concerned, as their very best was there and they still got trashed.

With the Colts, you KNEW their offense would be sluggish. The bigger concern for the Colts, though, was the same old same old on run defense and special teams. The offense should come around as the OL jells and Collins becomes more assimilated into the Colts O scheme.

As I have said, I recall the Colts getting hammered a couple of times in the year they won the Super Bowl, so all is not yet lost. The next four games will be very telling, though, as I figure the Colts have to win 3 out of 4 to realistically remain in contention.

All the more reason for them to be concerned, as their very best was there and they still got trashed.

With the Colts, you KNEW their offense would be sluggish. The bigger concern for the Colts, though, was the same old same old on run defense and special teams. The offense should come around as the OL jells and Collins becomes more assimilated into the Colts O scheme.

As I have said, I recall the Colts getting hammered a couple of times in the year they won the Super Bowl, so all is not yet lost. The next four games will be very telling, though, as I figure the Colts have to win 3 out of 4 to realistically remain in contention.

The next game is a must win, losing to the Browns is not an option. I am not panicking by any means but IF we are 0-4 the Bucs game, and go 0-5 after the Chiefs game, yep, that is when the season cannot be salvaged, IMO. There are no almost wins in the NFL, no style points for wins or losses, isn't that what we have been telling our division rivals when we beat them closely? Just get a win vs the Browns and all will be normal. Lose, and the morale of the team will take a hit, albeit a bit small at this point.

The next game is a must win, losing to the Browns is not an option. I am not panicking by any means but IF we are 0-4 the Bucs game, and go 0-5 after the Chiefs game, yep, that is when the season cannot be salvaged, IMO. There are no almost wins in the NFL, no style points for wins or losses, isn't that what we have been telling our division rivals when we beat them closely? Just get a win vs the Browns and all will be normal. Lose, and the morale of the team will take a hit, albeit a bit small at this point.

I pretty much agree. Looking at their schedule, this next game against the Browns is likely a must win game. Then they have Pit, Tampa, KC, Cincy, and the Saints thereafter. Pencil in losses against Pit and New Orleans and that means they pretty much have to win the other 4 games against Cleveland, Tampa, KC, and the Bengals. Lose this coming week to Cleveland, then things are going to begin to look pretty dire pretty quickly.

Ergo, the defense better get their crap together in shutting down the run and the special teams are going to have to quit putting a noose around the Colts' necks. If special teams keep performing so poorly, I really think a mid-season change in the SP coach will be in order.

I pretty much agree. Looking at their schedule, this next game against the Browns is likely a must win game. Then they have Pit, Tampa, KC, Cincy, and the Saints thereafter. Pencil in losses against Pit and New Orleans and that means they pretty much have to win the other 4 games against Cleveland, Tampa, KC, and the Bengals. Lose this coming week to Cleveland, then things are going to begin to look pretty dire pretty quickly.

Ergo, the defense better get their crap together in shutting down the run and the special teams are going to have to quit putting a noose around the Colts' necks. If special teams keep performing so poorly, I really think a mid-season change in the SP coach will be in order.

I agree....alot hinges on the Cleveland game thru Week 5.

Our well-documented problem is...having an average, at best, rushing attack and average, at best, run-defense (and that's on on a good day) WITH Peyton Manning is one thing....with Kerry Collins, and in in all fairness probably anyone else at QB, its a major problem. And special teams has been shaky all along.

For one reason or another...salary cap, not playing in free agency, injuries, draft busts, etc....those areas have gotten worse or stayed the same since our Super Bowl win.

I hope I'm dead wrong, but in looking at our schedule....I'll consider a 7-9 season a success. But our AFC South rivals were never an easy out even with Peyton healthy.

Unfortunately....something in the 4-12 range wouldn't surprise me one bit.

seriously who out of our team can secure a starting job in other NFL teams? I see Wayne, Clark, and maybe Mathis and Bathea (Freeny does not tackle, so he may be situational for some teams), that's about it. as a team we dont have enough talent. we were less talented than the texans team we faces and this has been the same problem in the past 2 years. they got many good players from the draft and there would be certain time they become better than us. even Manning needed a almost perfect game to beat them. this being said it may not be a bad thing to suck for 1 yr and get the talent from the next draft.