Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 16 Colts Draft, Free Agency

Here is my new version of our Colts and their offseason...

Free agency...Indy signs/resigns...

-Resigns OT/G Joe Reitz, LB Moises Fokou, P Pat McAfee, DT Fili Moala, CB Cassius Vaughn

-Signs FAs OG Andy Levitre, CB Mike Jenkins, OLB Antwan Barnes, S Dashon Goldson, NT Terrance Knighton

Draft...

Indy trades down from the 23rd spot to the early 2nd round, picking up a 3rd in the process.

2nd(via trade)- DT/DE Sharrif Floyd, Florida (I have been pretty high on this guy, and I think he would fit this defense perfectly, since he can play both 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE. Redding will be 33 next season, and both he and Moala could use a guy to rotate with them. Nevis also helps with the rotation giving us a darn good DL, especially if Chapman pans out. Top defense starts in the trenches!)

3rd(via trade)- OLB Sean Porter, Texas A&M (Gives us another athletic pass rusher to go with Mathis and Hughes.)

3rd- OG Larry Warford, Kentucky (We still need another starting OG opposite Levitre. I still believe Reitz should be our RT so he moves there opening a spot for Warford or Ijalana at OG.)

4th- CB Leon McFadden, San Diego State (Underrated corner who could play the nickel right away.)

I agree with all the resignings except Vaughn

Levitre would not fit the blocking scheme based on size of O Linemen needed to run a Man Blocking scheme, Buffalo runs a Zone Blocking scheme

I'd take Brandon Jenkins or Damontre Moore over Porter or Ricky Wagner in the 3rd or Alvin Bailey if Warmack and Barrett Jones is gone, Sean Porter is a bit small (6'2 230lbs)

I agree with all the resignings except Vaughn

Levitre would not fit the blocking scheme based on size of O Linemen needed to run a Man Blocking scheme, Buffalo runs a Zone Blocking scheme

I'd take Brandon Jenkins or Damontre Moore over Porter or Ricky Wagner in the 3rd or Alvin Bailey if Warmack and Barrett Jones is gone, Sean Porter is a bit small (6'2 230lbs)

My guess is you don't know both Kiper & McShay have Moore (the Texas A&M de)  in their top 5.  

Unless he gets hurt between now and the draft, there is zero chance he's an option for anyone in the 2nd round...

My guess is you don't know both Kiper & McShay have Moore (the Texas A&M de)  in their top 5.  

Unless he gets hurt between now and the draft, there is zero chance he's an option for anyone in the 2nd round...

1st round talent some how seems to fall to the 2nd round alot of times or at least late 1st and not everyone can go in the top 5-10, I dont think he will be around by the time we pick, I will give ya that but top 5-10 is to high given all the other talent in my opinion (based on skill he probably could go that high. He has top 10 talent, I just think he will fall out of the top 10, Not saying he will fall to us but it could happen, I dont really pay attention to Kiper or Mcshays draft boards much. I tend to wait for Mayocks.

Teo

Montgomery

Mingo

Could all be around that range as well along with players at other positions, WR's, Tackle, QB. He very well could go early but Im not sold he will. I'd pass on him if he fell and Barrett Jones was there or Warmack. My point is someone will fall to us we dont expect

1st round talent some how seems to fall to the 2nd round alot of times or at least late 1st and not everyone can go in the top 5-10, I dont think he will be around by the time we pick, I will give ya that but top 5-10 is to high given all the other talent in my opinion (based on skill he probably could go that high. He has top 10 talent, I just think he will fall out of the top 10, Not saying he will fall to us but it could happen, I dont really pay attention to Kiper or Mcshays draft boards much. I tend to wait for Mayocks.

Teo

Montgomery

Mingo

Could all be around that range as well along with players at other positions, WR's, Tackle, QB. He very well could go early but Im not sold he will. I'd pass on him if he fell and Barrett Jones was there or Warmack. My point is someone will fall to us we dont expect

Those three could be around for what range?   Where we'll stand in the mid-20's?     If one of those three falls to the mid-20's I'll be very surprised.    If Keuchley went #9 in a stronger draft, then Teo should go top-10 in a weaker draft easily.

Montgomery is one of my favorites...  I'd be thrilled if he fells to us,  but since he's a guy with a high motor and high effort and skills to match,  I don't see him falling to the 20's.  

Mingo, I suppose might.   Looks like Tarzan, but plays like Jane.   Not nearly enough production to match the physical skills.    But you saw how KC grabbed Poe last year,  another guy who tested great but didn't have production.   Some team will see the same with Mingo, plus, he's a passh rusher and they'll grab him too.

One last thought....  typically when guys fall out of the first round...  it's not top-10 guys.   It's guy's who are ranked in the mid-to-low 20's...   and the reason is this...    there might be 12-15 players with similar grades all bunched around spots 25-40.   At that point,  it's a beauty contest.   You take what you like and need.    At least, that's what lots of teams do.

I would resign all your choices.

We have worked quite a few guys through our defense this year. And considering we have had a rather ineffective pass rush, I see the guys that we have been playing lately as learning, playing better against the rush, and i see some promise with our secondary.

I am ALL FOR signing at least one Top Notch FA O-Lineman. And we need a Pass Rusher Bad. NOT FREENEY, he is done.

If they have a pass rusher they think will be available in the 1st rd, then I would sign TWO FA O-Lineman and draft the rusher. We MUST Fix the O-Line.

Griggs & Coach P will do fine picking the best available. Size-Speed-Love to play the Game.

IF the packers dont sign him and Jennings decides to test free agency, is there a possibility of him signing with the colts ? 

If we decide to pick-up a WR via Free Agency then Jennings is on my radar.   But, he's 5'11" and 200.    We already have 3 other similar WR's that we use just like that.    Avery, TYH and Brazil.

You can argue Jennings is much better than Avery -- fine.    Except Avery will be a fraction of the cost of Jennings.

My guess is Jennings is looking at $7--8 Mill per year for multiple years.

My guess is Avery would cost half that for a year or so less.      

And sometimes that's the decision a GM has to make.   Take the lesser player because he's much more cost effective.

Again, just my guess.

I would resign darius butler he's been doing pretty well

I'm perfectly fine with a trio of Davis, Butler and Vaughn....   but we do need a quality 4th guy, someone who would be a solid #2 to Davis.    Butler and Vaughn can slug it out who is 3 and who is 4....

How we get that other corner is the question...   my guess would be Free Agency....

Hope we can find the right guy for the right price....