Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Issue at Safety/We need to go after a strong safety (merged)

Dtman513

With Bob Sanders gone, it's up to Melvin Bullitt to take over the Free Safety position. When he went down last year, the Colts went out and grabbed Aaron Francisco, and Ken Hamlin. Both did OK however, there wasn't that threat at the position.

With the Free Agency period being a very small window this year, the Colts should use that time to sign a veteran Free Safety. I'd like to see Donte Whitner in a Colts' uniform.

What do you guys think? Should the Colts go after a veteran player or, see who on the team steps up in training camp for the position?

Somebody I would like to see the Colts sign is Donte Whitner. Good playmaker, plays for the Bills... him and Byrd are the only bright spots on that defense. He's a free agent this year, and he could be the starting safety, and leave Melvin Bullit in the hands of the Colts. BTW, Dawan Landry is a free agent, but he's restricted and probably going back to Baltimore. Maybe the Colts can take another thing from Baltimore... lol.

With Bob Sanders gone, it's up to Melvin Bullitt to take over the Free Safety position. When he went down last year, the Colts went out and grabbed Aaron Francisco, and Ken Hamlin. Both did OK however, there wasn't that threat at the position.

With the Free Agency period being a very small window this year, the Colts should use that time to sign a veteran Free Safety. I'd like to see Donte Whitner in a Colts' uniform.

What do you guys think? Should the Colts go after a veteran player or, see who on the team steps up in training camp for the position?

It's by no means a certainty that Melvin will even be a colt. He was issued a tender, and i believe under the new CBA those are going to be invalid, meaning he is free to sign with the highest bidder. So yeah, there is definitely going to be an issue at safety and they either need to sign Melvin or go another route in free agency.

I'd love to get Whitner, but how often do the Colts go out on a limb and get a well known free agent? Rarely ever.

I would love Whitner, but he I'll not come cheap at all. We are not going to be able to bring him on, sign Manning, and keep some key free agents of our own like JA and CJ.

We are very thin at safety. There is no guarantee that we will keep Bulitt. There is talks about the cap going down from what it as two years ago and were really close to the potential cap at the end of last season. With how thin we are Bulitt is probably a sign at all costs or we will be screwed. Fransico, King, and Hamlin sure as heck will not do for next year.

Not necessarily....the draft class was terrible at the safety position.

That has yet to be determined. Projections are just that....projections. The reality is some of this years safety class could be inducted into the hall of fame in 20 years. Were teams falling over each other to land a safety in round one? Nope, not even close. But that doesn't suggest that teams weren't poised and eager to * some of these kids, knowing the draft class would allow them to pick safeties lower in the draft without worry of consequence.

lol (S N A T C H) is dissallowed via word filter? Are you guys serious with this crap?

Let's face it Melvin Bullit was amazing replacing Bob Sanders when he was injured. Now he's the starter. He's a great backup, but a great backup doesn't equal a great starter. I think we should go after a great starter. My 1st pick would probably be Donte Whitner. He's a great player who is very underrated, and is a tackling machine. He is a good all around player, who can be used in any situation: blitzing, covering, and like I said is a good tackler. He is a little slow, but we have the fastest defense in the NFL, so it's not a big deal. My 1st pick. My 2nd pick would be Dawan Landry. He is a great coverage guy, and is an underrated tackler, but not as well rounded as Whitner. All in all, both good picks, and both players are better than Bullit. I'll be making a blog within the next week or two. What do you guys think? Your opinions will probably go in the blog.

We will be forced to do something. Melvin Bullit was issued a tender that i believe under the new CBA will be invalid. Therefore he will be an UFA and can sign anywhere. So that means either the Colts sign Bullit, or go after someone else in free agency. Lets hope Manning doesn't break the bank so we have some room to do some things.

last year I thought the Colts had the best safety core in football with Sanders, Bethea, and Bullitt. I agree with 21isSuperman when he says that Bullitt is not the best run stopping safety. However, if we bring in Mebane or some other good DT we would need less of a run stuffing safety imo. I feel like the Colts should resign Bullitt, but leave him as a backup. I loved our flexibility at that position last year, and I am hoping we make a splash in free agency to keep us strong in the secondary.

last year I thought the Colts had the best safety core in football with Sanders, Bethea, and Bullitt. I agree with 21isSuperman when he says that Bullitt is not the best run stopping safety. However, if we bring in Mebane or some other good DT we would need less of a run stuffing safety imo. I feel like the Colts should resign Bullitt, but leave him as a backup. I loved our flexibility at that position last year, and I am hoping we make a splash in free agency to keep us strong in the secondary.

If we resign him I'm pretty sure it will be as a starter. It would be nice to have a guy like Quintin Mikell, but if we only have the money to make one impact signing- and I think that will be the max- then I agree with you, let's get a DT! At that point I think Bullitt will prove to be more than fine.

If we resign him I'm pretty sure it will be as a starter. It would be nice to have a guy like Quintin Mikell, but if we only have the money to make one impact signing- and I think that will be the max- then I agree with you, let's get a DT! At that point I think Bullitt will prove to be more than fine.

seconf that, a good DT