Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are gonna miss Austin Collie more than expected

Smitto

For one... I think we need to stop with the Mike Wallace talk. As has been stated before there are BIGGER holes than WR right now and even next year. The guys who are playing now, after a full season and another off-season, should be much better next year. Lets let these guys play first before we start playing the adding/subtracting game. On top of that, the Colts don't need another "smurf".

As far as stepping up, I think it comes down to who gets targeted more after Reggie. There seems to be a pretty big drop off, in terms of targets, after Reggie and I don't necessarily think you HAVE to have that #2 guy. Everyone needs to step up if Reggie just happens to be taken out of the game. I really think Dwayne Allen gained A LOT of confidence from Luck with some of the catches he was making. Not the fastest guy, but he's caught pretty much everything thrown his way. To be honest, looking back at Packers game, Hilton, Allen, and Fleener all made some pretty good plays. With the game that Reggie is bringing this year its going to take a group effort from the other guys to match what Reggie has been doing if, again, Reggie seemingly gets taken away. I'd have to say that I would be surprised if any corner this year shuts him down, especially with what he just did to Charles Woodson. I also hope DB's keep jawing with him because it seemed like the more they did it in the Packers game the more Reggie kept burning them. Keep fueling that fire.....

Right now I think that's the big question about the Colts offense if teams take away Reggie (which make no mistake someone is going to sooner or later) who is the next guy? Avery had a good game and so did Hilton. I'd even say both Fleener and Allen have had good games as the second guy but no one has done it yet on a constant bases. Hopefully someone steps up. We might need it Sunday because the Jets were able to take Johnson out of the Texans game plan on Monday Night I am sure they will try to do the samething to Wayne on Sunday. If the Jets don't you can bet that the Pats will when we play them. That's what BB loves to do. Find your favorite weapon and take him away from you.

With all that said I am not sure Collie was that guy either. I mean it's not like he was tearing things up that one game he did play. Don't get me wrong I would like to have Collie but I am not sure he would have been the answer if a team takes Reggie away. Honestly the last couple of years the guy that was the answer was mostly Garcon and someone needs to step up and be our number two guy. Collie benefited a lot from teams focusing on Wayne and Garcon before they got to him like any good slot guy does.

I think that's what some of us need to remember... Tracy porter shutdown Wayne in the Superbowl so I'm sure guys like cromartie or flowers can do the same... collie want that real go to guy with painter or orlovsky.

During this preseason though collie was getting a lot more looks I think than Wayne was before his first concussion, kinda made you think they were working on some chemistry. Someone needs to step up and start making those catches

You're crying over spilled milk. Why are you bringing up collie at this point? A lot of teams are hurt, get over it and move on

Aye look no ones butt hurt about collie, I'm just stating the fact that if Wayne is taken out of the game especially against a good defense who's gonna step it up and make those catches that need to be caught... cause no one else has lately.

Collie was a good possession receiver its always good to have two of those on your team... Dwayne Allen looks like he can be that guy hopefully that is the case.

I'm not worried about losing Collie. I feel like WRs are similar to RBs in that they're a dime a dozen. Obviously the really good ones aren't, but you can find nice slot/underneath receivers on your practice squad. Although, you are kinda right. By the looks of things, we have a ton of speed on the outside, but we don't have much in the form of underneath/sure-handed guys to be the outlet. I'm not seeing the TEs running down the seam much so maybe that's what their role will be.

Fleener and Allen can handle that especially as they get more reps.

While I think Avery and TY will step up, I think Allen could have a huge impact on the passing game if Wayne is having an off day or something. It is so hard to account for Allen when he is utilized so much for blocking.

I also think that as the season progresses, Hilton will get better.

Additionally, it won't be that easy to double up on Wayne. I like how this offense moves him around and has him run crossing routes away from double teams! I wish we would have done stuff like that when Marvin was in his prime. I think it would have helped his career so much more.