Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What a Difference a Week Makes

crestmount

Watching Saints v Packers and Giants v Eagles games today and noted a total change in attitude toward officials by commentators. Dodgy calls simply brought the response, 'not sure if I would have made that call'--last week the same calls would bring a 'they're destroying the game'

One thing that stood out to me in this week's games: While we ALL know that the replacement referees were as bad as bad can be, We found that the announcers 'think' they are better than replacement officials in knowing rules.

My challenge to all announcers is to quit going out after the game to eat prime rib and bon bons and learn the rule book so they can talk intelligently about the rules and not argue in the booth.

Crestmount is absolutely correct in that the calls were quickly made and the 'real refs' were refreshing as was the crowd response to them. The announcers can yell "destroyed the game' all they want, but ALL announcers need to learn the rule book to accurately assess/analyze any NFL game. :rantoff::blueshoe: :blueshoe: :blueshoe:

Edited by BrentMc11

Watching Saints v Packers and Giants v Eagles games today and noted a total change in attitude toward officials by commentators. Dodgy calls simply brought the response, 'not sure if I would have made that call'--last week the same calls would bring a 'they're destroying the game'

There is quite a difference between the actual officials and the scabs. Lets not pretend that the reg refs didn't make mistakes. The media has made the whole issue far more convoluted than need be.

The difference is; The scabs didn't know the rules, often making rulings that were in conflict with the rules. They hesitated greatly. Especially in concern toward PI calls, how many times did we see 'late flags'? As if they were waiting for crowd/player reaction? Finally, the number of mistakes were FAR greater with the scabs.

In the GB game this Sunday, they missed the fumble. There simply is no way for the officials to see everything, they're not omnipotent. Unless they add another 6 refs, they simply can't see everything. What happened in that GB game is more of an issue with the rules than the officials. GB was out of challenges.

IMO, all turnovers should be reviewed automatically so that teams can save their challenges for other issues. I do not like how they made a 'mini-game' of sorts out of challenges, as if it's fun to watch egregious mistakes unfold and go unchecked.

Pitiful. It was a media whirlwind. In the past 3 weeks it was simply 'cool' to hate the officials, unfortunately. These commentators and analysts need to grow up, honestly. Now players, the media, and the fans can't blame losses and odd calls on the replacements.

Exactly right......

The 'sack' call on Carson Palmer when he threw the ball off the head of a lineman was insane...but the announcers ignored it...

...and the TV split screen showed that the Phily coach called itme out AFTER the ball had been snapped on the final NYG field goal.

Refs badly missed both plays....but they're the regular guys and it doesnt fit the 'evil NFL" narrative..that all the ex-players-turned

announcers speak of...

...and the TV split screen showed that the Phily coach called itme out AFTER the ball had been snapped on the final NYG field goal.

Icing the kicker should be abolished.....Reid likely informed the refs before the snap of his desire for a TO. Either way, icing the kicker just jerks the fans around.

Refs badly missed both plays....but they're the regular guys and it doesnt fit the 'evil NFL" narrative..that all the ex-players-turned

announcers speak of...

I think you're reading too much into it. Refs have always made mistakes, bad calls were always a part of the game. The difference is noticeable and I'm glad the announcers aren't making a big to-do about what bad calls that did occur. What occurred in the first 3 weeks was just too much....too many bad calls, refs not knowing the rules and extreme hesitation.

Especially Gruden. He drives me nuts.

I'm about to rip my hair out over this guy. I remember during the first week how he was talking about how either Flacco or Dalton had Jim Caldwell as their QB coach, and that was great because Caldwell coached Peyton.

Raise your hand if you've ever seen ANYONE other than Gruden ever give a positive remark about Jim Caldwell. Only Gruden can somehow magnify this guy and make a letter of recommendation for him to Canton.

Speaking of letters of recommendation, I should ask Gruden if he could give me a good word or two somewhere once I'm done with college. But then he'd nullify that by giving a recommendation to a guy with a 2.1 GPA. :P

thanks for starting the thread . . . i had half thought starting one myself but was not sure how to present it . . . but bottom line the replacement refs might of not know all of the rules and were choppy at times and may have miss spotted the ball (altho I think they might of been correct a few times contray to the media) but there was defenitely a considered effort on the part of the players (starting fights that "cant" be contained) and the announcer and media, spending plenty of time focues on each mistake by the refs . . .. if they continue this routine they would very likely fine many mistakes, and likely just as many mistakes, with the normal refs as with the replacement . . .

in the three games i watched this weekend, NE/Buf, GB/NO and NYG/Phila all of them had calls that would of set the twitter world on fire had it been reffed by the replacements . . .

I understand that there may have been feeling for them refs and all were trying to force the league's hand but it was kind of over the top . . .

I'm about to rip my hair out over this guy. I remember during the first week how he was talking about how either Flacco or Dalton had Jim Caldwell as their QB coach, and that was great because Caldwell coached Peyton.

Raise your hand if you've ever seen ANYONE other than Gruden ever give a positive remark about Jim Caldwell. Only Gruden can somehow magnify this guy and make a letter of recommendation for him to Canton.

Speaking of letters of recommendation, I should ask Gruden if he could give me a good word or two somewhere once I'm done with college. But then he'd nullify that by giving a recommendation to a guy with a 2.1 GPA. :P

he's over the top, but at least he is nice. i assume his coaching skills are primarily telling everyone how great they are :)