Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The case for Corners

coltnorth

The debate of whether having solid corners or solid pass rush has raged on this forum for a long time. Last night showed the arguement well. The Giants had a great pass rush but Romo was able to move around and buy just a little time and could always find an open receiver. Giants CB play was bad and they got burned. On the flip side, Eli struggled to find open receivers against the cowboys great cornwers and couldnt move the ball. I think the Giants have a better receiver core and a better pass rush but without coverage skills, they were not the better team. I think that moving forward, this could be applied to the futre of the "monster"

All I know is I want our defense to look like the Cowboys defense last night. They looked good.

I think the 2 starting corners we have right now are better than what the Giants currently have

and equal to if not better than what the Texans had last year. We'll be alright unless we get

bitten real hard by the injury bug. I think King and Gordy will do an adequate job, and I'm not

sure what Cassius Vaughn is going to do but we'll see.

As a whole, I'm a bit more concerned with how the D-line and the linebackers pan out. If they can be

effective I look for us to do well, but I'm specifically concerned about whether we can be effective at

stopping the run. I think we're going to be fine at creating pressure against the pass which will help

out the secondary alot.

I don't think I have ever been so excited for a team that I knew in advance don't really have a chance of even making the playoffs. I just don't even care about the playoffs this yr., I just want to watch this team grow together and I know Pagano will have them out there fighting their butts off every game win or lose. Over the last couple yrs., I honestly believe the Colts grew complacent and were just going through the motions. Didn't really ever feel like they were leaving it all on the field every week.

I don't think I have ever been so excited for a team that I knew in advance don't really have a chance of even making the playoffs. I just don't even care about the playoffs this yr., I just want to watch this team grow together and I know Pagano will have them out there fighting their butts off every game win or lose. Over the last couple yrs., I honestly believe the Colts grew complacent and were just going through the motions. Didn't really ever feel like they were leaving it all on the field every week.

You said it. I've been obsessing over this team since the start of the off-season, win or lose, I'm ready for some actual football!

The debate of whether having solid corners or solid pass rush has raged on this forum for a long time. Last night showed the arguement well. The Giants had a great pass rush but Romo was able to move around and buy just a little time and could always find an open receiver. Giants CB play was bad and they got burned. On the flip side, Eli struggled to find open receivers against the cowboys great cornwers and couldnt move the ball. I think the Giants have a better receiver core and a better pass rush but without coverage skills, they were not the better team. I think that moving forward, this could be applied to the futre of the "monster"

I don't mean to nit-pick and perhaps I'm making too much of the wordage used here.... but....

Actually, I don't think the debate has been corners OR solid pass rush.

I think the debate has been which was more important while still recognizing that the lesser of the two was still very, very important.

This has been our websites version of the old beer commercial.... LESS FILLING!! TASTES GREAT!!

At least, this has always been my interpretation of the debate. BOTH are important.

But to me, since it all starts with the QB in the NFL, then the pass rush has to be more important. You can't allow the QB too much time or to be too comfortable... Corners are great and important and I want 3 very good ones.... but it's hard to beat a relentless pass rush.

Just my two cents....

The Cowboys definitely looked like a force to be reckoned with... and with their next meet against the Giants being at home, they may be making a case for the playoffs early if they can match last night's performance in the coming weeks.

The Cowboys indeed have some great DBs, it definitely brought out some envy a bit. I'm not sure if I'll be saying that my the end of the season, but holding E. Manning to under 200 yards passing is certainly an inspiring start.

I hope with some time and with Pags coaching history we can have a fierce secondary by the end of the season. I think we have some talent in the secondary, I'm really hoping the Davis trade was that final piece to give us the full aggressive edge we've lacked in pass defense.

Teams need a solid pass rush and good DB play. A DB cant cover a receiver forever so the pass rush has to put pressure on the QB.

That's the advantage of having a quarterback who can extend the play. The Giants pass rush put Romo on the run quite a bit last night, but he's one of those guys who can salvage a gain out of a busted play. You can't cover forever, no matter how good you are.

Another thing, the Giants lost two corners in last night's game. And then Corey Webster made a huge mistake in coverage (which is the knock against him every year since he's been in the league) and gave up a touchdown.

I think the argument is that a good pass rush can take pressure off of the secondary, but that obviously doesn't mean that you don't need to have good coverage.

That's the advantage of having a quarterback who can extend the play. The Giants pass rush put Romo on the run quite a bit last night, but he's one of those guys who can salvage a gain out of a busted play. You can't cover forever, no matter how good you are.

Another thing, the Giants lost two corners in last night's game. And then Corey Webster made a huge mistake in coverage (which is the knock against him every year since he's been in the league) and gave up a touchdown.

I think the argument is that a good pass rush can take pressure off of the secondary, but that obviously doesn't mean that you don't need to have good coverage.

This is why I believe we will be fine against the bears since cutler doesnt handle pressure all that well and the DB's have improved. Im more worried about Forte and Bush running the ball.

I was thinking at the beginning of the game that the Giants could be in trouble because of corner play. When their 3rd and 4th corners couldn't make it on the Colts, what does that say about the G-men corners.

I think they're as good or better at the top; Amukamara and Webster are super talented. Webster is just mistake prone, and Amukamara can't stay healthy.

I think its just to easy to avoid a good pass rush, just dink and dunk it over the field, the pass rush will eventually be forced to peel off or shift your pass catching Tight End over the pass rushing defensive end or Outside Linebacker , have that Tight End chip and release on him every play or just run to set up the pass or just run right at that pass rusher (as we are seeing now many pass rushers instincts are to pass rush and thats it not worry about the run which leaves gaping holes for the run game)

They work hand in hand. Good coverage in the back end makes the QB hold on to the ball a little longer than he wants allowing the rush more time to get there. And a good pass rush makes the QB get rid off the ball before he wants too or knocking him off his spot which allows good instinctive CBs to jump more routes and hopefully make a big play. One without the other simply won't work for the most part