Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Football Life

trsean

And the Manning brothers, Brees, Rodgers, and Montana are the only quarterbacks who can be called great or be admired for winning. But no...their teams won those Super Bowls, right? So why do they get all the admiration and love? They won as starters, Tebow won as a starter. The quarterback position is the most important in sports. If your team fails, you get the blame. When your team succeeds, you get the credit. That's just the way it is.

Okay. Super. His team won a playoff game with him at the QB,

I eagerly await A Football Life: TJ Yates.

Oh,...so wait. It IS about what he's accomplished on the field? Team pressured into giving him a starting job and won one playoff game? Yeah, now it makes sense. Major accomplishments.

And wait, he's been criticized for his own beliefs? What a regular Job. A large portion of the following this guy has is a result of said beliefs. As for being successful based on his style of play - If being traded away by your team that won a playoff game to being regulated to a back up for Mark freaking Sanchez is considered success, I guess you have a point.

Tebow has an incredible story off the field too. Take off your blue glasses. By the way, the guy who took his job was Peyton freaking Manning. And we all know the back-up facade isn't going to last all season.

Oh, you mean that awful way they played after Cutler had won them SEVEN of those eight games? You mean that terrible way they played when, you know, Tebow played them?

Oh, you mean those players that several on that list were either or not on the team or on IR when Tebow both beat and LOST to them in a most excruciating fashion that other teams, except for the Steelers and their hubris, decided to follow and then beat Tebow?

Cutler doesn't play defense. Excuses, excuses.

Okay. Super. His team won a playoff game with him at the QB,

And I can't wait to see A Football Life: Curtis Painter. No wait...okay, A Football Life: Kerry Collins. Oh, hold on...um...yeah! A Football Life: Dan Orlovsky. Oh no, that wouldn't work either. Oh well. Open your mind and stop thinking so narrowly. Yes, Tebow, someone who everyone, I repeat, said was going to fail with his style of play, won a playoff game. There you go. Say what you want, but the guy is going to be around for a long time. People like you motivate him, ironically enough.

And I can't wait to see A Football Life: Curtis Painter. Open your mind and stop thinking so narrowly. Yes, Tebow, someone who everyone, I repeat, said was going to fail with his style of play, won a playoff game. There you go. Say what you want, but the guy is going to be around for a long time. People like you motivate him, ironically enough.

Actually, I'd gladly watch A Football Life: T.J. Yates. The Texans are about to take both the AFC South and the NFL by storm. Any publicity on that team would be must viewing IMO, especially DC Wade Phillips.

A Football Life: Curtis Painter...The picks just keep coming. haha:lol: :lol: You took the words right out of my mouth QuizBoy. :spit:

The question with Tim Tebow is: Who is responsible for his fame, notoriety, and attention? His fans, his religious beliefs, or his leap frogging the depth cart via a Denver coaching staff with minimal QB skills when no other backup NFL field general was given so many opportunities despite a number of QB shortcomings?

Say what you want, but the guy is going to be around for a long time. People like you motivate him, ironically enough.

Doubtful. Teams will more likely weigh the risk reward of the circus he brings vs what he adds to the team. He may stick around after a couple seasons of inneptitude because people will lose interest and then teams may be interested in seeing if he can add anything.

Guy's a backup QB who has accomplished less than Trent Dilfer with a legacy special on NFLN. The notion that this kid is somehow unique in regards to determination when compared to the dozens and dozens of other young and scrappy kids with a dream that were just cut from our teams is nothing short of disrespectful and ignorant.

when no other backup NFL field general was given so many opportunities despite a number of QB shortcomings?

Exactly. And this is the kid I'm supposed to believe has overcome anything on the football field?

I don't blame the kid for doing his best for trying to reap what ever benefits he can, who wouldn't?

After this year I believe one of two things will happen. Tebow will be a starting QB in the NFL, or completely out of the league. This year shows above all else that there is no middle ground for him. And I can't entirely blame him, the media pushes and pushes until something breaks.

He's a career 47% comp QB, there isn't a very large demand for a QB like that..

Who has said anything about disliking Tebow? I don't even know him.

I've said it's ridiculous to have someone who has accomplished so little be included in a series that has celebrated those that have done so much.

I meant his media portrayal. You made a topic about your displeasure with how his name is used in the media.

It's as annoying as what they do.

Exactly. And this is the kid I'm supposed to believe has overcome anything on the football field?

I don't blame the kid for doing his best for trying to reap what ever benefits he can, who wouldn't?

Tim Tebow clearly has the drive and work ethic to improve as a QB. Only 1 problem though: Passion without skill gets a person nowhere. It's like a person that is caring and compassionate, but if they can't pass organic chemistry they will never become a registered nurse. It's the difference between theory and successful on the job application. Tim Tebow falls short I'm afraid. A desire to perform well is not the same thing as effective execution.

Doubtful. Teams will more likely weigh the risk reward of the circus he brings vs what he adds to the team. He may stick around after a couple seasons of inneptitude because people will lose interest and then teams may be interested in seeing if he can add anything.

Guy's a backup QB who has accomplished less than Trent Dilfer with a legacy special on NFLN. The notion that this kid is somehow unique in regards to determination when compared to the dozens and dozens of other young and scrappy kids with a dream that were just cut from our teams is nothing short of disrespectful and ignorant.

Tebow is unique. Ask the millions of people cheering for him, despite the fact that he's a third year, back-up quarterback, who happens to have a playoff win under his belt. He'll be something special, I'll go on record typing that right now.

I'm surprised to see this debate here...

I, as a Broncos fan, was really torn between Tebow the young man I like and Tebow the QB I couldn't accept for my team. And the biggest issue surrounding him is the incredible amount of coverage and credit he received, much of which in my view was undeserved. To Tebowmaniacs, he could do no wrong. Everything the team achieved was because of him, and everything they didn't was because of someone else. The horde of Tebowmaniacs descended on the Bronco nation was overwhelming and divided us. It was so crazy I was not able to read Denver Post for a long time.

Ironically, those who enthusiastically supported him did a lot of disservice to him in my view. It deprived him of the preious time to develop his skills. They demanded to see him before he was ready.

I think in the end, the Broncos organization and the Broncos fans (separate from Tebow fans) got tired of this exact argument I'm seeing here. PFM's availability made it a no-brainer to move on.

I have a lot of respect of Tebow. I think he is genuine and upright and a great role model for the young. But I didn't want him to be our QB, just that simple. I wish he could have been.

I, as a Broncos fan, was really torn between Tebow the young man I like and Tebow the QB I couldn't accept for my team. And the biggest issue surrounding him is the incredible amount of coverage and credit he received, much of which in my view was undeserved. To Tebowmaniacs, he could do no wrong. Everything the team achieved was because of him, and everything they didn't was because of someone else. The horde of Tebowmaniacs descended on the Bronco nation was overwhelming and divided us. It was so crazy I was not able to read Denver Post for a long time.

Ironically, those who enthusiastically supported him did a lot of disservice to him in my view. It deprived him of the preious time to develop his skills. They demanded to see him before he was ready.

I think in the end, the Broncos organization and the Broncos fans (separate from Tebow fans) got tired of this exact argument I'm seeing here. PFM's availability made it a no-brainer to move on.

I have a lot of respect of Tebow. I think he is genuine and upright and a great role model for the young. But I didn't want him to be our QB, just that simple. I wish he could have been.

Thanks for your post. Gives a good insight. I'd talk to Jets fans about it, but A) Who wants to do that? and B) It's a different situation this time.

Of course, I could again point out that I have nothing against Tebow as an individual - but you know what? - I think people having to make that preface is equally ridiculous. I mean, how many other QBs in the league do we have to assert first and foremost that we aren't judging who he is as a person before criticizing his game? That should be the default assumption. I don't have to go, "I think Kevin Kolb seems like an okay guy, but he rots as a QB." Anyway, I digress.

I have to say that back during the draft and everything, I was pulling for the kid. I frickin' love it when people get all riled up and say there's no way a person can do something, and then he goes out and does it. If he continues to shock the world and evolves into a genuine NFL starting QB, more power - but you know what? It will still be ridiculous that he got this show.

Loved this show last year, but a grassroots movement needs to start letting the NFL Network that fans of the league do not endorse or support an episode about Tim Tebow. Even people who love the kid HAVE to realize that the very notion of someone who has accomplished so little in this league is deserving of this is ridiculous.

Who is with me?

Its like Katy Perry doing her life story....what is she ...27?

Dosent Tim have to live a little longer to HAVE a 'Footbal Life'?

But the NFL Net is not above sucking up to the Christian football fan....

Its harmless......

(but that'll be my night to watch the Golf Channell)

Tebow has an incredible story off the field too. Take off your blue glasses. By the way, the guy who took his job was Peyton freaking Manning. And we all know the back-up facade isn't going to last all season.

Oh, please. Tebow was exposed last year in the playoffs against the Patriots, and he's done absolutely nothing in NY. Sanchez is godawful, yes, but Sanchez throws the ball a bit better.

Tebow no more deserves a "Football life" episode than any backup QB. He's a media darling/hot button topic, that's it.

Of course, I could again point out that I have nothing against Tebow as an individual - but you know what? - I think people having to make that preface is equally ridiculous. I mean, how many other QBs in the league do we have to assert first and foremost that we aren't judging who he is as a person before criticizing his game? That should be the default assumption. I don't have to go, "I think Kevin Kolb seems like an okay guy, but he rots as a QB." Anyway, I digress.

I have to say that back during the draft and everything, I was pulling for the kid. I frickin' love it when people get all riled up and say there's no way a person can do something, and then he goes out and does it. If he continues to shock the world and evolves into a genuine NFL starting QB, more power - but you know what? It will still be ridiculous that he got this show.

Yeah, you are so right. This is precisely what made us Broncos fans grow so tired. Anything critical we say about his play made us "haters." It was hard for me to swallow that, but I think it was harder for Elway. He couldn't move on fast enough once we landed Peyton. Despite what was said about Elway, though, I genuinely believe he liked Tim. He might still be a Bronco if it weren't for all the frenzy.

If this were produced by ESPNU then I feel they have a leg to stand on. I don't think any 3rd year player is deserving of a show such as this. I'm not sure that any active player is deserving, even when you include players with the stature in the game such as Manning, Brady, Ray Lewis, Tony Gonzalez. Maybe it could be a thing that they do when a player retires, like they did with Kurt Warner. Favre would be more deserving of having one done this year.

There are great college players that could have a segment like this on ESPNU, Tommy Frazier, Major Applewhite, Charlie Ward, guys that had no shot at an NFL career but were great college players.

You don't see Ndamukong Suh having a show, or Sam Bradford or maybe the most productive player to date out of that draft. Jason Pierre Paul.

He's a lightning rod, and people are going to watch it. That's why they are making it.

Oh, please. Tebow was exposed last year in the playoffs against the Patriots, and he's done absolutely nothing in NY. Sanchez is godawful, yes, but Sanchez throws the ball a bit better.

Tebow no more deserves a "Football life" episode than any backup QB. He's a media darling/hot button topic, that's it.

Well, considering the fact that the regular season hasn't started, no one's done anything in the NFL yet. And you still can't disprove the fact that his life has more of a story than just football.

The biggest issue surrounding him is the incredible amount of coverage and credit he received, much of which in my view was undeserved. To Tebowmaniacs, he could do no wrong. Everything the team achieved was because of him, and everything they didn't was because of someone else. The horde of Tebowmaniacs descended on the Bronco nation was overwhelming and divided us. It was so crazy I was not able to read Denver Post for a long time.

I think he is genuine and upright and a great role model for the young. But I didn't want him to be our QB, just that simple. I wish he could have been.

Oh, please. Tebow was exposed last year in the playoffs against the Patriots, and he's done absolutely nothing in NY.

And you still can't disprove the fact that his life has more of a story than just football.

I agree that Tebow mania is predominately a fan creation, which in large part is outside his ability to control. What percentage of that intense following is directly linked to his religious beliefs is difficult to answer. Here's my whole dilemma with the treatment of Tim Tebow: Why can't media personnel and NFL analysts assess him strictly from his QB skill set alone? I don't care about a player's religious beliefs off the field. They have nothing to do with how exceptionally or dismally a QB performs at their position on the field.

People seem to want to couch his QB flaws in his Christian faith like a security blanket. Like this: Tebow failed to move the ball effectively and threw a couple of picks today but he's such a fine, upstanding, God fearing man. What a minute...What's religion got to do with a sub standard football performance? I don't see the relevance. Either you played great or you stunk up the joint. Christianity had nothing to do with it at all. Again, I don't blame Tebow for that I blame NFL reporters who are too lazy to do their job and critique individual athletic performances on the field.

The Patriots handled Tebow perfectly last year. Load up the box and stop the run. Tebow is a RB not a QB especially if you block his line of vision and block his throwing lanes IMO. The media created this nightmare and only Tebow's play can perpetuate the hype or literally kill it.

End the madness now media and do your job okay. This is not a cinderella story. Either Tebow can execute on the field or he can't. My money says Tebow in Denver was a mirage, a fluke, and 1 trick pony myself. If I am wrong, I will admit it, but I doubt that I am on this one personally. I don't might stars getting elevated for their athletic talent, but I have an issue with religion being used as a mask to hide glaring QB deficiencies.

End the madness now media and do your job okay. This is not a cinderella story. Either Tebow can execute on the field or he can't. My money says Tebow in Denver was a mirage, a fluke, and 1 trick pony myself. If I am wrong, I will admit it, but I doubt that I am on this one personally. I don't might stars getting elevated for their athletic talent, but I have an issue with religion being used as a mask to hide glaring QB deficiencies.

I don't know if anyone used religion as a mask to hide his deficiencies, but it was as if some people just couldn't see them at all. It was as though we were seeing two different QBs. But they were fans, not NFL people. Fans and Skip Bayless.

I think Tebow's success to the extent it was was in unpredictability. I cannot remember who it was, but someone (it might have been an opponent's DC or an analyst) said he couldn't believe Denver kept running this simple play over and over again. We the Broncos household thoroughly enjoyed the craziness but thought defense will figure out soon enough, and not at all surprised the Pats spanked.

I boycotted Denver Post for a while because of the madness that is Tebowmania, but went there when we signed Peyton. One Tebow fan commented he or she hoped Peyton would break his neck first play of the first game. I was so traumatized by that I couldn't go back to Denver Post for a while longer. Unfortunately for some people including me to some extent, it was hard to separate Tebow from the mania. I just had to stay away.

Like him or not, feel he deserves to be featured on A Football Life or not; (as funktacious posted) this is a very intelligent business decision because Tebow will draw viewers.

Even people who don't follow the NFL know who Tebow is. In fact, I just quizzed my husband (a man who doesn't care for sports).

I asked him if he knew who Tim Tebow is. His answer, "Yea, he's a player in the NFL."

I asked him if he knew who Ray Lewis is. His answer, "I'm not sure. Is he that Sugar Ray boxer guy?"

Speaking of Ray Lewis, he will be featured also.

Season 2 will feature 13 new episodes. Some of the subjects profiled include Ray Lewis, Jimmy Johnson, Eddie DeBartolo, Jr., Marcus Allen, Steve McNair and Tom Coughlin. The season will also air have feature stories on The Immaculate Reception and the 1995 Cleveland Browns.

http://www.nj.com/je...a_football.html

I don't know if anyone used religion as a mask to hide his deficiencies, but it was as if some people just couldn't see them at all. Fans and Skip Bayless.

I think Tebow's success to the extent it was was in unpredictability.

I boycotted Denver Post for a while because of the madness that is Tebowmania, but went there when we signed Peyton. One Tebow fan commented he or she hoped Peyton would break his neck first play of the first game. I was so traumatized by that I couldn't go back to Denver Post for a while longer. Unfortunately for some people including me to some extent, it was hard to separate Tebow from the mania. I just had to stay away.

Tebow will draw viewers.

Even people who don't follow the NFL know who Tebow is. In fact, I just quizzed my husband (a man who doesn't care for sports).

I asked him if he knew who Tim Tebow is. His answer, "Yea, he's a player in the NFL."

I asked him if he knew who Ray Lewis is. His answer, "I'm not sure. Is he that Sugar Ray boxer guy?"

BayAreaBronco and shecolt,

You both make very valid points. Tim Tebow does move the public interest meter no question. A number of 4th quarter victories were actually won by a field goal kicker, the Denver defense, or a failure to run out of bounds as a Chicago Bears RB. Tebow falsely got credit for it all via the media. And how many people are fans of Tebow strictly on the famous religious kneel after every football victory especially those who seldom watch football?

And why is the pose being marketed and sold like a t-shirt and hat gimmick? Ed Clemente Photography sounds like a business or corporate entity to me.

tebow-kneel.jpg

I remember week after week last season, coming home from watching the game at a friend's house, telling my wife "Tebow did it again!" The man has football skills but his popularity trancends his play on the field. Why? I don't know but his celebrity, love him or hate him, makes him attractive to these types of TV programs.

When Denver made it known that Tebow was available, I wondered if Belichick, who brought Tebow to Boston a couple of years ago for a pre-draft evening of football talk and pasta, and Josh McDaniels, who spent one of his valuable 1st round draft picks on Tebow, might make a play for him. Now that would have made for good TV!

I remember week after week last season, coming home from watching the game at a friend's house, telling my wife "Tebow did it again!" The man has football skills but his popularity trancends his play on the field. Why? I don't know but his celebrity, love him or hate him, makes him attractive to these types of TV programs.

When Denver made it known that Tebow was available, I wondered if Belichick, who brought Tebow to Boston a couple of years ago for a pre-draft evening of football talk and pasta, and Josh McDaniels, who spent one of his valuable 1st round draft picks on Tebow, might make a play for him. Now that would have made for good TV!

Well said Flying Elvis. Yes, Tim Tebow does deserve to be playing in the NFL based on his college success and winning a Playoff Game vs the Pittsburgh Steelers. My problem with Tebow is that his lack of QB skills doesn't warrant the attention he receives on a NFL superstar level. Look at Tom Brady, Big Ben, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rogers...What do they all have in common? Championship hardware. What exactly does Tebow bring to the Vince Lombardi conversation? Absolutely nothing. Please remember that crucial fact NFL sports media. Thank you. The NFL is all about production and results. Can Tim Tebow win 2 Playoff games this year? I have my doubts, but I will give Tebow the opportunity to prove me wrong.

I like the pasta talk hour will Bill Belicheck. Thanks for the background information on Tebow. I don't have a problem with any NFL organization talking to Tebow. Signing him to a contract is an entirely different matter though. What in the world in NY Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan thinking? :facepalm: The NFL is all about winning not grabbing headlines Rex. :sigh:

Actually, he was exposed by the Patriots TWICE in a four or five week span. Don't forget him running for his life during week 15. (11 for 22) That roflfest was followed by "leading" the Broncos limping in to the playoffs by losing to the BILLS 40-14 wherein he went 13 for 29. Followed by a masterful performance in week 17 while losing to the CHIEFS 7-3. (6 for 22) SERIOUSLY!

By leading I of course mean hoping the defense can win the day, because he sure as heck couldn't. One game of his life later they beat Pittsburgh only to get shredded by the Patriots. Again. Only this time it was infinitely worse.

I hate the Patriots, but at least they earned the right to be hated by being a good football team above all else. Tebow off the field is a good kid, but I HATE "Tebowmania." Not so much him as all the imbeciles who put him on a pedestal when he CLEARLY SUCKS HORRIBLY.

Tebow is mediocre on a career day, and not even better than Sanchez who is HORRIBLE. Tebow just might be the most overexposed, overhyped athlete in sports history VS length/quality of his work - which is a one year old steaming turd.