Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rule suggestion

Valpo2004

I know it has been done before but the situation with Landry has reminded me how much I think tag and trade is an abuse of the franchise tag.

Franchise tag should be about keeping players you really need in the fold, not trying to collect a draft pick after their contract is up.

Therefore I suggest a rule that states that the tagging team is responsible for 90 percent of the cost of the tag in a fully guaranteed signing bonus.  The remainder is in salary guaranteed for injury only.

So if a player is traded or released under the tag it will come at a heavy cap cost for the team that tagged them.

I hate the tag and trade practice.  Landry should be a free agent.  He played out his entire contract and the phins are not willing to pay him long term.

But instead they are letting him negotiate with other teams to facilitate a trade.  Wich basically means that once he finds a team the phins steal a free draft pick at zero cost to themselves.

Landry pays for it by restricted opportunity, the team that wants him pays a draft pick and still has to pay the man as if he where a free agent.  Dolphins take all the rewards.

Thoughts??

yeah, teams are pretty clever when it comes to these things

the dolphins are strapped for cash other wise they would probably just sign him, hes their best offensive player 

id like to see something like tagged players dont count against the cap, but you can only tag them once, and only if you drafted them.  that may not fix this situation, but it would have helped cousins and would be good for teams that are smart with the cap

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, aaron11 said:

yeah, teams are pretty clever when it comes to these things

the dolphins are strapped for cash other wise they would probably just sign him, hes their best offensive player 

id like to see something like tagged players dont count against the cap, but you can only tag them once, and only if you drafted them.  that may not fix this situation, but it would have helped cousins and would be good for teams that are smart with the cap

Nah, I don't want any NFL team to be able to go over the cap for any reason. The NFL is not MLB or the NBA. Having a hard cap is what separates the NFL from the NBA and the MLB.

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Perhaps they could just increase the cost of tagging a 2nd time.  Say you have to pay them 10 percent more then the highest paid player at their position.

Either way they need to fix the tag rules because they are being abused.

I thought that was already the case, except it is the average of the Top 5 at that position or 120% of his salary from the previous year, whichever is higher.

Here is a good read:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/franchise-tag-contract-rules-explanation-date-deadline

I think it is fair enough, IMO.

3 hours ago, Reality Check said:

I agree with the OP's intent/suggestion.

At the same time, a guy like Kirk Cousins has benefitted a GREAT deal from the tag....and it is 100% GUARANTEED (for the player).  Not a bad deal IMO....

Actually I think it is only guaranteed for injury.

I think Kirk Cousins would disagree too.  Tag kept him from negotiating a long term deal elsewhere.