Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Notre Dame offensive tackle

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

No I hear you man. I’d love nothing more than to just load up on defense. However no amount of defensive help is going to prevent Luck from tearing his labrum. Better coaching and play design can fix some of our OL issues but a lot of it is lack of talent.

Yes.....

But personally,   that's why I favor using our first round pick on a tackle, a premium pick on a premium position.

Good guards can be found in the 2018 free agency.     Perhaps not great guards,  but certainly good guards.    It's a non premium position,  and we can fill that in free agency.

I also think we need to beef up the wide receiver group in FA.     So, I'm hoping we address that in Mid-March when the FA window opens....  

I know there's going to be lots of disagreements with lots of posters....    I'm only sharing what I would do if I were the GM and I'll try to support my viewpoints with my reasoning....

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember...   every draft pick you use on offense is another pick we're not using on defense.

I'm not trying to state the obvious,  I'm only saying this is why our defense is where it is right now...

So,  some of our problems,  especiallly on offense,  are going to have to be addressed by free agency... 

Just food for thought..

Yeah. A lot will depend on what we do in FA. We will probably have 70M or thereabout to spend in FA. That's a lot of quality players you can buy and holes you can plug. Our needs going into the draft will look very different than they do now. And we shouldn't be drafting by need anyways. That's how you end up missing on quality players. 

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

No I hear you man. I’d love nothing more than to just load up on defense. However no amount of defensive help is going to prevent Luck from tearing his labrum. Better coaching and play design can fix some of our OL issues but a lot of it is lack of talent.

To your point and also NCF, I feel like if we grab a OT early on in the draft and sign a Guard in FA then we can have a better built line.  Add to that an offense that allows for quick plays and not the same redundant crap we run now and you hide a lot of flaws.  We do however need some better talent or else we will never be able to run.  This then allows for a lot of picks and even FA dollars to be placed on the D side.  We still desperately need help over there.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes.....

But personally,   that's why I favor using our first round pick on a tackle, a premium pick on a premium position.

Good guards can be found in the 2018 free agency.     Perhaps not great guards,  but certainly good guards.    It's a non premium position,  and we can fill that in free agency.

I also think we need to beef up the wide receiver group in FA.     So, I'm hoping we address that in Mid-March when the FA window opens....  

I know there's going to be lots of disagreements with lots of posters....    I'm only sharing what I would do if I were the GM and I'll try to support my viewpoints with my reasoning....

The FA class is probably better at OG than it is at OT so you’re probably right about getting a guard there. It’s just I think Mewhort isn’t coming back so we probably need 2 new guards.Justin Pugh is a possibility.

As for WR I think we should sign Landry in FA. He can play the slot. We can draft a bigger wideout to play on the outside with Hilton Late in the draft.

I can see why some may not want to burn too many picks on OL, or draft a guard high. I’m open to either tbh. Wouldn’t be upset with Nelson or McGlinchey.

IMHO, unless the tackle you would look at in this draft would be considered a top 3 pick and almost as sure of a prospect as can be guaranteed during a draft, you take the guard if he is there and after he pans out the rest of the season, during the bowl games and through his evaluations. My thinking on taking the mailer guard is pair him with Kelly and perhaps we can finally get that rushing game opened up the middle which will give defenses concern for just overloading our line vs PAP from Luck. It also gives Luck a space to be able to step up into if the LT gets beat and all the tackles can do is hope to push the rusher as far back into the backfield to give our QB one more second to make that read, ala how Brady has been able to do over the years. If a gaurd can open up that middle run and allow a QB to stup up away from pressure coming from the sides, it’s like taking two players and winning on both but only using one pick. 

At any point, this draft will be critical to either get a top plug and play tackle, gaurd or qb wrecker on defense with this high of a draft spot looming. Such a long way away. 

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

Could be time to buck the trend of not taking a G in the top 5......I have a serious man crush on Nelson......are the top edge rushers  this year really that much better?

Not really. Arden Key is a huge question mark for a couple reasons. Harold Landry is a perfect fit for the Colts, but he’s not top 5 worthy. Chubb is good but he’s more of a 4-3 end. None of them are Joey Bosa or Myles Garrett though. They’re not safe, no brainer picks.

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not really. Arden Key is a huge question mark for a couple reasons. Harold Landry is a perfect fit for the Colts, but he’s not top 5 worthy. Chubb is good but he’s more of a 4-3 end. None of them are Joey Bosa or Myles Garrett though. They’re not safe, no brainer picks.

That's what I was kinda figuring....if the colts have a to 5 pick you take elite prospects....Nelson is an elite prospect.

I have been a wanting nelson since last year. Guy is an animal. Best case scenario imo is trade down a couple spots to someone who wants chubb, key, or maybe a qb, draft nelson and sign norwell from carolina. Would give us an interior line with 3 lineman who show a mean and physical mentality.

On 11/13/2017 at 11:11 PM, Defjamz26 said:

I think every lineman he touched ended up on the ground. 

Most impressive snaps here are against Malik McDowell. He is very impressive. 

On 11/13/2017 at 11:34 PM, PeterBowman said:

Could be time to buck the trend of not taking a G in the top 5......I have a serious man crush on Nelson......are the top edge rushers  this year really that much better?

The passrushers are kind of gaining steam down the stretch of the college season. Arden Key has been looking beastly lately, Chubb has been great all year... The only one that MIA is Landry. I also think there will be surprises. Look for a Solomon Thomas like ascent in the draft process from one of Taven Bryan(3 tech) or Hercules Mata'afa or... Maurice Hurst(3 tech)? There are some sleepers that will be brought into the focus of the draft community once the NFL season is over and more people start watching college tape and start seeing good things from prospects. 

I watched the ND/Stanford game and was expecting to see some line domination from ND. I didn’t see that, was it poor coaching by Kelly, poor execution, a Stanford team that has a really good dline as well or something else? What’s the thoughts on these two oline prospects after this game? 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I watched the ND/Stanford game and was expecting to see some line domination from ND. I didn’t see that, was it poor coaching by Kelly, poor execution, a Stanford team that has a really good dline as well or something else? What’s the thoughts on these two oline prospects after this game? 

There were a lot of issues in this game, and not just the offensive line.  Nelson and McGlinchey both played alright games to me.  They did not dominate the d-line but they are still going to be drafted very high on the talent, potential, measurable's, and combine/pro day results.  This game is not going to have any setback on their draft status.  I would still happily take either.  I will say McGlinchey is a better run blocker than pass blocker, but he should get better with pro coaching (hopefully).

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

There were a lot of issues in this game, and not just the offensive line.  Nelson and McGlinchey both played alright games to me.  They did not dominate the d-line but they are still going to be drafted very high on the talent, potential, measurable's, and combine/pro day results.  This game is not going to have any setback on their draft status.  I would still happily take either.  I will say McGlinchey is a better run blocker than pass blocker, but he should get better with pro coaching (hopefully).

Thanks, I have no idea what good or bad will be for these lineman at any school. I just was pretty shocked to watch this game and not see some form of dominant play by the oline, either in the run or pass scheme as they didn't seem very capable or either much of the game. I didn't know how good Stanford guys are either since I don't follow college all that much unless its on in front of me. What ever happens, the guy we take has to be a day one starter.

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

Thanks, I have no idea what good or bad will be for these lineman at any school. I just was pretty shocked to watch this game and not see some form of dominant play by the oline, either in the run or pass scheme as they didn't seem very capable or either much of the game. I didn't know how good Stanford guys are either since I don't follow college all that much unless its on in front of me. What ever happens, the guy we take has to be a day one starter.

They did not play to well against Miami either.  Some has to do with the play call and nerves of Wimbush at QB.  They did have some faults on the line and McGlinchey had some obvious faults on himself in the game as well.  Miami all around worked ND.  Stanford played a well balanced game and out coached ND in the end.  

31 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

I thought that Nelson played well against Miami and Stanford. I like that Nelson in pass blocking did not go backwards. McGlinchey seems to have trouble with speed rushers. I like Conner Williams at Tackle as the better prospect. 

McGlinchey proved you right against Miami.  They had him looking bad in a few plays.  He showed that he does not have the quickest of feet.  He honestly reminds me of Castonzo.  Not the fastest of feet but good technique and can get the job done.  He might have a higher ceiling though.

Nelson is just purely a stud...simply said!  He had some plays against Stanford and Miami where he did not look like the top lineman in college but it happens to everyone from time to time.  He bounced back the very next play.  This only happened a hand full of times though.  

Yeah... McGlinchey had problems with speed rushers to the outside since the first game I saw him this season vs Georgia. Both Carter and Bellamy beat him EASILY to the outside and on multiple occasions. BTW, the player on Miami that whooped his butt the most was Joe Jackson who is very possibly a future first round pick.

Look at his true freshman highlights: