Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Former IU standout James Hardy tragic death

indyagent17

Pretty shocking. I live in Fort Wayne and went to middle school with him. He was always a super cool dude back in the day, always smiling. There's been 3 bodies found in Fort Wayne rivers within the past 2 weeks, didn't expect one of them to be James. Sad... Everyone around here is completely shocked.

I live in Fort Wayne also and going to work passed over the bridge where they found Hardy's body. At first I wondered why there were fire trucks and police cars around that area; the traffic was closed to one lane. Turns out that they had found Hardy. They don't know the cause of death yet. Sad story.

Sounds like he knew he would die.

“He says, ‘Mom I’ve got to leave, I’ve got to get out of town,'” said Summerville. “I said ‘Why, where are you going?’ And he says, ‘I’ve got to go. If I don’t go, I’m going to die tonight.’ Those were his words.”

http://wane.com/2017/06/12/hardys-last-words-to-mom-if-i-dont-go-im-going-to-die-tonight/

7 hours ago, Myles said:

Sounds like he knew he would die.

“He says, ‘Mom I’ve got to leave, I’ve got to get out of town,'” said Summerville. “I said ‘Why, where are you going?’ And he says, ‘I’ve got to go. If I don’t go, I’m going to die tonight.’ Those were his words.”

http://wane.com/2017/06/12/hardys-last-words-to-mom-if-i-dont-go-im-going-to-die-tonight/

Sad

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:03 AM, pgt_rob said:

Pretty shocking. I live in Fort Wayne and went to middle school with him. He was always a super cool dude back in the day, always smiling. There's been 3 bodies found in Fort Wayne rivers within the past 2 weeks, didn't expect one of them to be James. Sad... Everyone around here is completely shocked.

If there are that many bodies in a short period of time I believe you might have a serial killer on the loose.

5 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

If there are that many bodies in a short period of time I believe you might have a serial killer on the loose.

Pretty unfortunate but I think they were all suicides. At least I believe that is what it's lead to anyway.

Part of it I think is athletes who have played football so long growing up from pop warner, to high school, college, & the pros that if they are no longer participating in the sport physically they feel inadequate tying their whole identity & self worth to it.

James Hardy probably thought to himself what am I now if I can't play ball at a high level anymore? Nothing. 

This is why I get upset when society defines you by your income or occupation vs your personality, outside hobbies, character, & anything besides wealth in general. 

My condolences to his mother & immediate family & friends who knew him best. 

6 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Part of it I think is athletes who have played football so long growing up from pop warner, to high school, college, & the pros that if they are no longer participating in the sport physically they feel inadequate tying their whole identity & self worth to it.

James Hardy probably thought to himself what am I now if I can't play ball at a high level anymore? Nothing. 

This is why I get upset when society defines you by your income or occupation vs your personality, outside hobbies, character, & anything besides wealth in general. 

My condolences to his mother & immediate family & friends who knew him best. 

Very well said and is so very true. The society we live in makes it seem like we need to prove our worth. We live in a world where people feel the need to compare yourself with someone else to judge your self worth. I know James Hardy was going through some crap here and there over the past few years. He was arrested for fighting police officers 4 years ago and he was in the news here about 2 years ago. Something to do with a young girl if I remember correctly. Those words to his mother are really unfortunate and it's sad that he couldn't get more help. He apparently called his high school football coach the night before he disappeared. His coach was out of town at that moment and then James disappeared. Sad.

17 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Very well said and is so very true. The society we live in makes it seem like we need to prove our worth. We live in a world where people feel the need to compare yourself with someone else to judge your self worth. I know James Hardy was going through some crap here and there over the past few years. He was arrested for fighting police officers 4 years ago and he was in the news here about 2 years ago. Something to do with a young girl if I remember correctly. Those words to his mother are really unfortunate and it's sad that he couldn't get more help. He apparently called his high school football coach the night before he disappeared. His coach was out of town at that moment and then James disappeared. Sad.

You're exactly right PGT_rob. It's gut wrenching to hear the mother try to figure out why her son was so down, not want to call the police earlier for fear that she might embarrass him or push him a little bit more to get too the root of his depression. I'm not blaming her at all. It's just devastating to think that if James had been able to confide in his former football coach he might still be here today. 

Thank you for your kind words on my behalf. I appreciate that. Very astute observations on your end too PGT! 

Yes unfortunately, it's too easy to measure your whole identity to 1 image for so long that if we lose it, we become disoriented not knowing where are bearings are or how to redefine our value anymore once we feel adrift & lost with no direction moving forward. 

Nice chatting with you. :thmup: