Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Got to workout with a few Colts players over the weekend

Boiler_Colt

1 hour ago, MR. Blueblood said:

It's been quite a few years ago, but I was shopping at Costco and met Adam Vinatieri.  He looked just like any other guy walking around the store that day, and people were passing him without a clue who he was.  I went up and introduced myself.  He was super nice guy, I'm sure not a stretch of the imagination for anybody to believe.  He asked me where the coffee was, said his wife sent him out with the shopping list and he had no idea where anything was, lol.  

That's the key right there. If you approach somebody calmly & not go up to them like an overzealous Beatles fanatic at the zenith of their popularity, your inaction will be a good one.

Adam V. does seem like an average joe & I like that you told us he had no idea where the coffee was because it humanizes him. Guys can picture themselves heading to the store when our wives or girlfriends are exhausted too Mr. BB. I've heard that Adam compensates workers above & beyond when they do work for him too. I like when well compensated athletes are not afraid to crack open their wallet too.  

On 5/2/2017 at 0:53 AM, LJpalmbeacher said:

I once seen Robinson Cano toss a mostly eaten apple  in trash can before boarding a bus after a spring training game.

That's so awesome. I hope he was still playing for the Yankees then 

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:16 AM, GoColtsWin said:

Bumped into Damon Bailey once, while buying diapers at Target in Bloomington. Super nice guy.   :)

FYI the sports plex up the hill from twin lakes on w second st is frequented by the hoosier b ball players .

Sat next to Larry Bird on a plane as a child was a really nice fellow gave my brother and I the umbrellas from his tropical drinks and signed them for us .

23 hours ago, King Colt said:

Message To All: Get a life.

2 hours ago, el duderino said:

Message To All: Great thread, keep sharing your stories.

haha   Such a Diverse group here...   It sure keeps things interesting. :hat: 

btw.... @el duderino I enjoy the stories too.

On 5/2/2017 at 6:13 PM, coltsfansince65 said:

I met & shook hands with John Unitas when I was 11 years old. It's the moment I became a Colts fan for life.

My oldest brother played semi pro football for a team in New Hampshire called the Nashua Colts. (Horseshoe on the helmets & the whole 9) I. attended his end of season banquet & Unitas was there as a guest speaker.

Now, I idolized my big brother & was already somewhat a Colts fan because of him playing on this team but after this encounter I was star struck. My brother passed away in 2004 & his Colt helmet is still hanging in his basement in NH. Every time I visit I go down & look at it. I would love to some day have it but I don't know how to ask my sister in law.

I love that story.  Just ask your sister-in-law. The worst she could do is say "no".

Living in NY, I have met or ran into many athletes just walking in the street. Many years ago I met former St. John's basketball star and Indiana Pacer Mark Jackson. We were both buying newspapers at the news stand. I once met Bucs and Broncos safety and now 49ers GM John Lynch and his wife at Barney's NY -- very nice guy. Having worked near the Hospital for Special Surgery where many athletes receive their care, I often walked  passed players like Tiki Barber and former Dolphin/Jets QB Jay Fiedler.

When I used to attend spring training games in the mid to late 90s, I met many of the Mets players. I also met Cal Ripken and Brady Anderson after an Orioles-Mets game in Florida.

Great stories and thanks for sharing. My story isnt quite as exciting as some of the others, but ill share it anyway. I think it was about in 98 or 99 I went to a Pacers game as a kid and was standing in the bleachers where the players run out from the locker room. I was standing there when Austin Croshere handed me a size 18 shoe! I had some lady try to rip it from my hands when he said NO, its for the kid. Such a great guy.

In around 1967 I was about 9-10 yrs. old my father took me and my sister to a sports show in New York City. I believe it was at a place called the Coloseum. I got lost and taken to the security office. While there I met John Unitas and got his autograph and I also met Cassius Clay and got his autograph. That's how I became a Colts fan. True Blue for life. Living in jets/Giants country here in Jersey I don't care I have my license plate frame Indianapolis Colts. I also remember talking all kinds of trash around Super Bowl 3. 7th grade. I ate some crow. I still hate the Jets, to this day, which stems from that loss.

I am a big Larry Bird /Celtics fan. I went to see a Sunday game against the Lakers. Kareem/Magic days. After the game I went down the parquet floor and Henry Finkel and Dave Cowens were standing there talking. Dave Cowens walked over to me and shook my hand and said Hello!  I have to tell you I did look alot like Larry Bird back then. I heard it often. not quite that tall 6'3" .   He must have thought I was related to him or something. I was in shock. My girlfriend now my wife 34 yrs. says who's he ? Had to give her a history lesson. 

When I was a youngster i played in a peewee soccer league in speedway and jim harbaughs step son played on my team. He came out one game and I got an autograph. 

My grandpa owned a barber shop in Indianapolis and Reggie Miller's wife liked getting her hair done there. I was about eight years old just wandering around the shop when I saw him. I recognized him but couldnt put my finger on where i knew him from. He looked at me and asked, "do you want my autograph?" Told him nope I already have Jim Harbaughs lol. He gave me a dirty look.