Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Haeg got first team rels at RG over Clark?

CR91

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

We should be able to put Blythe on the PS. He really is a Center only with his size and super short arms.
 Regarding Haeg, with so little practice time, starting him out working at guard first makes since. But he sure does have tackle potential, so we can be sure he will get reps there too soon enough.
  I like this kid, and look forward to seeing him beefed and strengthened up. He is athletic and has some gnarly to him.
  Clark can be really good with those tentacles of his. In time. The kind of guy to be excited about! :thmup:

I agree. Blythe should be fine on the PS. That's probably where he goes. I don't see anyone grabbing him but we may play it safe. Remember it was the Dolphins and Philbin who stole John from our PS. I'm sure Grigs remembers that. 

I think next year is when we will see these guys really shake up the OL. Kelly is the only one I expect a major contribution from this year. Maybe Haeg can help some but he has some guys to jump. As always an injury could change things. 

On May 25, 2016 at 1:23 PM, ar88 said:

Personally I would be stunned if Good is cut. Irsay and Grigson (maybe Pagano too) have spoken very highly of him. I think they see him as a starter on this line.

They say a lot of things early on. Those comments were made before the 2016 draft. All the guys we drafted have way better upside than Good. If he stays it'll be as a career backup.

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They say a lot of things early on. Those comments were made before the 2016 draft. All the guys we drafted have way better upside than Good. If he stays it'll be as a career backup.

I just clearly disagree with these comments.  Ridiculous and extreme.  And what upside are you talking about?

31 minutes ago, krunk said:

I just clearly disagree with these comments.  Ridiculous and extreme.  And what upside are you talking about?

Clark has incredibly long arms and great measurables all around for the position. Haeg played in a pro-style offense and is can play every position on the line except center, making him more flexible. Blythe played at a big school for arguably the best OL coach in the game, and is also super flexible. 

Denzelle Good is extremely overrated by people here. I know everyone wants a Cinderella story for the Colts, but Good is not it. He's from Mars Hill and a 7th round pick. Don't hit me with the "But Mathis Alabama A&M, Jerry Rice, etc..." I know all of that. There are more Ulrick John's that Jerry Rice. Not every low round, small school guy from the Colts is going to be something. Especially when there is better competition in front of them.

Good is just another Delano Howell, Henoc Muamba, or Daniel Adongo. That's not to say he won't be anything because I don't know that yet. But he's another player who comes and performs adequately in a limited sample size and Colts fans start to overrate him. 

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Clark has incredibly long arms and great measurables all around for the position. Haeg played in a pro-style offense and is can play every position on the line except center, making him more flexible. Blythe played at a big school for arguably the best OL coach in the game, and is also super flexible. 

Denzelle Good is extremely overrated by people here. I know everyone wants a Cinderella story for the Colts, but Good is not it. He's from Mars Hill and a 7th round pick. Don't hit me with the "But Mathis Alabama A&M, Jerry Rice, etc..." I know all of that. There are more Ulrick John's that Jerry Rice. Not every low round, small school guy from the Colts is going to be something. Especially when there is better competition in front of them.

Good is just another Delano Howell, Henoc Muamba, or Daniel Adongo. That's not to say he won't be anything because I don't know that yet. But he's another player who comes and performs adequately in a limited sample size and Colts fans start to overrate him. 

To sum it up it's just all of your personal bias.  When was the last time you saw everyone from the owner down to the head coach and even writers and other players speaking highly about a 7th round pick?  It's just your own personal bias.

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Guy has already proven he can play. However he has to wear this "stain" of being a 7th round pick forever so he can never go anywhere and do anything according to some of you.    Dude if you can play you can play so let's get it proved on the field alright.   You better hope Leraven Clark is who you think he is or you know I'm coming down hard on you.    

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

If you want to see upside, go back and watch Good move people out of the way in the run game at the end of the year.  Pass Pro potential is there too, but the dude could be a hammer in the run game.

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Let us remember that before he was at Mars Hill he was at Clemson.  You don't wind up at Clemson if you don't have some type of proven talent.   He ended up at Mars Hill for I believe an off the field incident.  People for some reason like to make it seem like he's just this straight Mars Hill type of guy when it ain't the whole picture.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

If you put your bias to the side you'll start to see that there's room for all 3 of them.  Reitz will not be here forever.  I wouldn't be surprised if Reitz is gone by next year.  Let's see everybody play before we truly know who is the career backup as you might get a surprise.  Denzelle Good ain't never seen the Practice Squad so he's no Ulrick John type of cat.  If the guy couldn't play they could have easily let him go or put him on the PS but they didn't even want to take the chance. That says something about how he performed the entire year. Give the kid a chance.  

33 minutes ago, krunk said:

If you put your bias to the side you'll start to see that there's room for all 3 of them.  Reitz will not be here forever.  I wouldn't be surprised if Reitz is gone by next year.  Let's see everybody play before we truly know who is the career backup as you might get a surprise.  Denzelle Good ain't never seen the Practice Squad so he's no Ulrick John type of cat.  If the guy couldn't play they could have easily let him go or put him on the PS but they didn't even want to take the chance. That says something about how he performed the entire year. Give the kid a chance.  

I'm giving him a chance, as a potential backup. He didn't see the practice squad mostly because we didn't have that type of depth on the line last year. Just like when we had Xavier Nixon on the 53. Let's not act as if this is some unheard of story with him. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Let us remember that before he was at Mars Hill he was at Clemson.  You don't wind up at Clemson if you don't have some type of proven talent.   He ended up at Mars Hill for I believe an off the field incident.  People for some reason like to make it seem like he's just this straight Mars Hill type of guy when it ain't the whole picture.

Wikipedia and NFL.com says he played at North Carolina state and then transferred. I don't know where you got Clemson from.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Guy has already proven he can play. However he has to wear this "stain" of being a 7th round pick forever so he can never go anywhere and do anything according to some of you.    Dude if you can play you can play so let's get it proved on the field alright.   You better hope Leraven Clark is who you think he is or you know I'm coming down hard on you.    

Hasn't proven anything. Limited sample size. You don't draft a guy as high as Clark for him to lose out to a guy from the 7th round. At least at RT. And I said he COULD be a surprise cut. My main argument is that a lot of guys hype him up too much. Again, all of his praise came before the draft. He was probably talked up a lot to make it appear as if there was some hope in the future for a struggling Colts line with no depth. I expect the tune will change now.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm giving him a chance, as a potential backup. He didn't see the practice squad mostly because we didn't have that type of depth on the line last year. Just like when we had Xavier Nixon on the 53. Let's not act as if this is some unheard of story with him. 

Wikipedia and NFL.com says he played at North Carolina state and then transferred. I don't know where you got Clemson from.

Hasn't proven anything. Limited sample size. You don't draft a guy as high as Clark for him to lose out to a guy from the 7th round. At least at RT. And I said he COULD be a surprise cut. My main argument is that a lot of guys hype him up too much. Again, all of his praise came before the draft. He was probably talked up a lot to make it appear as if there was some hope in the future for a struggling Colts line with no depth. I expect the tune will change now.

Man when you get stuck on a bias you go hard with it.  Okay so I was wrong about Clemson but we certainly are not confusing NC State for Prairie View here. It's still Division 1 Ball.  He had an incident there and had to transfer. So what?

When has this team had a lot of offensive line depth sir?  You're so full of crap

You're so full of it.   Nobody on this planet outside of the Colts was even mentioning Good as a solution for anything so what would the Colts point be in doing that?  Most if not all of the Media pundits would not and did not even mention his name. Hey let's talk up Denzelle Good to make the media feel like we have some hope.  Are you serious?

The biggest issue I have with your statements is you called the guy a career back up solely on the basis of your bias of him as a low round pick.  Not that I can't see the sense in believing or feeling a higher round pick should play. As if this league hasn't proven over and over again that if you can ball you can ball.  Too many low round picks in the hall of fame to say otherwise.    I do not  believe they were playing possum when they say they are high on Good in whatever position they choose to play him at. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Man when you get stuck on a bias you go hard with it.  Okay so I was wrong about Clemson but we certainly are not confusing NC State for Prairie View here. It's still Division 1 Ball.  He had an incident there and had to transfer. So what?

There is no bias. I'm going off fact. There's no reason for me to be overly excited about a 7th round pick from Mars feel. And he didn't even play more than a season at NC State.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

You're so full of it.   Nobody on this planet outside of the Colts was even mentioning Good as a solution for anything so what would the Colts point be in doing that?  Most if not all of the Media pundits would not and did not even mention his name. Hey let's talk up Denzelle Good to make the media feel like we have some hope.  Are you serious?

Are you saying that just because they praised a low round pick means something? Are you saying coach speak means nothing? Everyone gets talked up. Remember Duron Carter? Josh McNary has been hyped up by our staff. Heck Luchez Purifoy already had a nick name by training camp and fans were already speculating. You guys are making way too much out of him getting praised.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

The biggest issue I have with your statements is you called the guy a career back up solely on the basis of your bias of him as a low round pick.  Not that I can't see the sense in believing or feeling a higher round pick should play. As if this league hasn't proven over and over again that if you can ball you can ball.  Too many low round picks in the hall of fame to say otherwise.    I do not  believe they were playing possum when they say they are high on Good in whatever position they choose to play him at. 

That's not a bad prediction for him all things considered. It'd be different if I called Phillip Dorsett a career backup. But a career backup for a 7th round guy who played at Mars Hill is a tremendous accomplishment. It makes sense. Who is he gonna beat out? Not Reitz, he has experience. Clark should be ready to start year 2 and would be a better option at RT because of his measurables. So move over to RG. If Thorton sucks could he be better than Thorton? Possibly. But he'd be competiting with Haeg and maybe Blythe. I'm not saying he's got no shot but it'd be hard to buy him as a long time starter at any position in the line.

Also the problem with talking about the low round and small school guys who turned out well is that no one looks at the whole picture. It's an EXTREME rarity that happens once a decade for a team that is luck enough to catch lightning in a bottle. How many low round players drafted after Jerry Rice by the 49ers have had a career as good or close? How many 6th round picks by the Pats can be put in the same convo as Brady? Or if you want to look at the whole picture I'm sure the ratio of low round guys who are in the HOF or made a pro-bowl vs the guys who don't workout is something like 50:10,000 or something like that. You can't hang your hat on a broken rhetoric that disproves your claim more than it supports it.