Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Robert Mathis guilty 4 separate times before suspension?

chad72

In this article where Goodell explains the 2 games for Rice, I found this:

"When we have a drug program that is collectively bargained, it takes four incidents before you actually reach a suspension," Goodell said.

Does this mean Mathis was guilty 4 times before he was suspended, 3 times that we obviously did not know of? What does that make of Josh Gordon and Lavon Brazil then?

I am assuming you can have incidents with different drugs and the four incidents is in totality.

Instead of getting her pregnant, he should have beaten her up-then he would have been suspended two games.

Wait...too soon?

I don't know if it's too soon, but it's true. Obviously, violence against women is no laughing matter. But this policy is.

I thought it was for a "banned substance" not a PED...there is a difference right?

There are two separate policies.

Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse-

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/PlayerDevelopment/2010%20Drug%20Policy.pdf

Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances-

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/PlayerDevelopment/2010%20Steroid%20Policy.pdf

The former contains some grace and accelerating punishment (generally non PED, recreational drugs and alcohol) for violations, the latter is a no tolerance rule that contain PED's and those substances that are related. The list of those are in Appendix A, pages 14-18.

Mathis suspension was for a related substance under the Steroid policy. Clomid is listed under the Anti-Estrogenic agents section.  And Clomid is banned by the NFL because it can be used as part of a steroid cycle, reducing or eliminating side effects of their use and restoring the natural production of testosterone. 

So whether it is used for good reasons (Mathis case), or bad, it is prohibited in the NFL.  And as Superman says, punishment is 1st strike, no grace.

I don't know if it's too soon, but it's true. Obviously, violence against women is no laughing matter. But this policy is.

I don't think there is a collectively bargained agreement on domestic issues.  That being the case, Goodell was likely investigating and following the lead of the judicial system.  Rice was interviewed by the prosecutors and based upon all things uncovered, past and present, allowed him to inter a pre-trial intervention.  Thus allowing him to avoid trial and potential jail time. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10960822/ray-rice-baltimore-ravens-accepted-pretrial-diversion-program

In retrospect, the NFL's 2 game / no pay punishment is arguably harsher than anything else he'll likely have to endure concerning the whole matter.

Now if Ray Rice's history was littered with previous incidences, his behavior belligerent and non-compliant, etc.. I'm certain the courts would be trying to incarcerate him post haste.  They did the opposite and extended extreme leniency.  And I think the NFL followed suit.  That doesn't mean the next raged dude that knocks out his significant other will get the same treatment.  There's no hard and fast punishments, and a heavy handed punishment can be levied as well as a lenient one. It will most likely be on a case by case basis, unless / until a formal domestic abuse policy is created.