Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The NFL Network training camp marathons

oldunclemark

When I saw that the NFL Net was going to spend nine hours a day dropping in on NFL training camps..I thought it would be more boring than the Chicago White Sox..

...But it actually is fairly interesting..

I know its costing them a blue fortune to send 32 retired ex-ball players and spokesmodels to all the remote camp locations to do 'stand ups'  and file reports but this time of year is pretty dead and updates from camp are filling the time..

..I give them credit because they are making a good effort...

I haven't had cable for a couple years now, so I'm not sure what all NFL network airs anymore, but it sounds like they've gone away from what they were doing a few years back, which was replaying old games and documentary style stuff about the history of the league and various players during the offseason. That was the best stuff in my opinion.

They are handvuffed during the offseason because the football offseason is 5 months...

........the longest among the major pro sports.

I also liked it when they re-ran old games in prime time during the off-season.

They have adopted some 'original programming' ideas like 'NFL AM',  the Top-100 players series, the 'Football Life' historical series to go with all of the Sabol family's old NFL films library

I agree with you I wish they'd simply show the original broadcasts of more old games....10 yeares ago is a long time and anything more than 15-20 years old....most young fans have not seen and I'd like to see again...

NFL-AM is great during the season but its starving for content during the spring and summer and the hosts seem to struggle to stay awake (possibly because they do it in LA and start at 3 a.m. west coast time??)

Supe......I do not think the NFL Network makes much money at all (Other than the live games they carry during the season) but they dont have to because they are basiclaly owned by the NFL.....  They just have to avoid losing money.

That's why sending 32 correspondents to 32 camps is a risk...

I think the goal of the network for the its few years is simply to break even and promote the NFL...

They are handvuffed during the offseason because the football offseason is 5 months...

........the longest among the major pro sports.

I also liked it when they re-ran old games in prime time during the off-season.

They have adopted some 'original programming' ideas like 'NFL AM',  the Top-100 players series, the 'Football Life' historical series to go with all of the Sabol family's old NFL films library

I agree with you I wish they'd simply show the original broadcasts of more old games....10 yeares ago is a long time and anything more than 15-20 years old....most young fans have not seen and I'd like to see again...

NFL-AM is great during the season but its starving for content during the spring and summer and the hosts seem to struggle to stay awake (possibly because they do it in LA and start at 3 a.m. west coast time??)

Supe......I do not think the NFL Network makes much money at all (Other than the live games they carry during the season) but they dont have to because they are basiclaly owned by the NFL.....  They just have to avoid losing money.

That's why sending 32 correspondents to 32 camps is a risk...

I think the goal of the network for the its few years is simply to break even and promote the NFL...

Nah, those guys are on salary and the production crews for remotes are really very small. It's a lot cheaper than any specials they run.

They don't make as much as BSPN, but they're doing okay. I like the network, they've come a long way from just showing old NFL Films repeats!

I haven't had cable for a couple years now, so I'm not sure what all NFL network airs anymore, but it sounds like they've gone away from what they were doing a few years back, which was replaying old games and documentary style stuff about the history of the league and various players during the offseason. That was the best stuff in my opinion.

They still have that all on there quite a bit

Nah, those guys are on salary and the production crews for remotes are really very small. It's a lot cheaper than any specials they run.

They don't make as much as BSPN, but they're doing okay. I like the network, they've come a long way from just showing old NFL Films repeats!

I like the NFL Net. I watch it.

But it most certainly costs a LOT more to send correspendents (they are not on salary) to Kankakee Illinois and Anedrson, Indiana and uplinking live time than it does to  do live in studio (those folks are on contract) programming than it does to roll old NFL films......

I wish they'd run a classic game every night in the offseason...I'd watch

During the year..they run games from the previous Sunday and that's just perfect because on Sunday, nobody can watch all the games that are played simultanesouly....

Its a great idea..But its just like NBA-TV or the MLB Network.  They just have to figure out what to do in the offseason..

TBH some of these training camp sessions with ex-players breaking down plays with current players have been great.  The ones with Kaepernick yesterday and Tuck today explaining his keys on a read option play were nice segments. (The Tuck/ O'Hara one is coming up again in few segments if anyone wants to catch it.) I wish NFLN and ESPN would do more pieces like this and less of the straight-forward interviews.

TBH some of these training camp sessions with ex-players breaking down plays with current players have been great.  The ones with Kaepernick yesterday and Tuck today explaining his keys on a read option play were nice segments. (The Tuck/ O'Hara one is coming up again in few segments if anyone wants to catch it.) I wish NFLN and ESPN would do more pieces like this and less of the straight-forward interviews.

They did one Saturday with the fullback from Washington explaining how he and RG3 run the read option.

I agree. Very, very good..

i watched nfl network's live coverage from camps to see the colts, but after about an hour i couldn't listen to in depth analysis of rg3's knee, or the jets qb battle..

didn't find their exact schedule, so does anyone know when they will be reporting from anderson? 

i read that some female reporter from nfln was at camp 2 days in a row, but no footage yet..  :scratch:

They do obsess on the Jets....

..and I apologize..the NFL Net, for some reason, hasn't been to Colts camp...or to Kankakee to see the Bears..

Sometimes they act like they cant find the midwest

Hopefully they don't cover the bears....puke.

They still do that, they haven't changed really, its just TC time.

They still do that, they haven't changed really, its just TC time.

No, they've changed a lot...the net work is 10 years old

During the off-season, they used to rerun EVERY game/week from the previous season....

They no longer do that.....NFL-AM is just a year old...and its basically a companion show to the evening recap 'Total Access'

They use each others interviews and, in some respects, direct the days' pro fotball narrative

They used to run classic games from the past and they do little of that now....

...preferring reruns of past years' 'Hard Knocks', which, to me,  just seem soap opera-ish and irrevelant years later..

...(but a lot of others like)

They used to run six games from each previous weekend during the season. They run 2 or 3 now...

But we're headed into the best time for  the network because they can run EVERY pre-season game, other networks cant run hardly any... and those games are what a lot of us are waiting for...