Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Jones Sued for Hot Seat

shecolt

Garrett's been sitting on that bench for about a year now.

His close relationship with Jones and his ties to the franchise has kept him safe thus far. Another disappointing season, though, and I bet significant changes are made.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If she was under medication, how would JJ be liable? I don't understand how that works. Isn't that the same thing as say being drunk and slipping on stairs? You can't sue the owner there because you made yourself impaired. In both cases, the person is knowingly taking something that impairs their ability.

Because the bence could plausibly be unreasonable, like Ruksak said, in certain conditions it can be as hot as heating element. It would be has reasonable as making a public door 200 pounds or a 2 foot wide toilet seat.

Anything that exposes customers to 180-190 or greater temperatures against their skin that can cause 3rd degree burns in 3-7 seconds need to be emphatically warned or situation not presented at all. The McDonalds case was coffee at >180 degrees, and she had it in between her legs to remove the lid to add cream and sugar (she was a passenger n a stopped vehicle, not driver). it spilled all over her sweat pats. Liquid the temp of a fully warmed up cars radiator fluid was quickly absorbed into her thick sweat pants. Her thighs, buttocks and private areas suffered 3rd degree and required >$20,00 in medical care. She was never offered more than $800. In court she was found 20% at fault, and got 160,000 for compensatory damages, and the 2.7 million punitive damages was reduced to $480k by the judge, and it was later settled in secrecy.

So even the huge multi million number we all heard about never came to pass. for the people law group used to have a full video of the case and graphic photos of the damage.It was too graphic for me.

The temp of that black marble in the Texas sun might exceed 180 degrees too. if that's the case, it should be removed. Warning isn't enough IMHO.

Wasn't the hot seat occurrence in August of 2010 though?

After having sometime to ponder what I wrote last night in reference to extreme temperatures, litigation, clearly posted warnings, and the horrific nature of skin grafs, perhaps I was a little too emotional last night regarding Ruksak's perspective on the Jerry Jones case. This forum is a good community of individuals from a multitude of NFL teams and fan bases that I really enjoy reading and learning from and naturally we all come from a variety of interests and backgrounds.

I apologize if I created a tumultuous tone on this subject matter last night. It didn't help that this topic evolved into skin graphs on the anniversary of my friend's death via suicide as a result of those severe burns and the corresponding skin graph procedures that took place to give a shot at a normal life, which was far from normal after the tragic house fire incident transpired. In any event, I will try to avoid responding to topics that strike a negative personal chord with me and are a little to close to home for my own comfort. Thank you for understanding everyone, including Ruksak, I appreciate it. The whole episode is over, done, and water under the bridge now.

After having sometime to ponder what I wrote last night in reference to extreme temperatures, litigation, clearly posted warnings, and the horrific nature of skin grafs, perhaps I was a little too emotional last night regarding Ruksak's perspective on the Jerry Jones case. This forum is a good community of individuals from a multitude of NFL teams and fan bases that I really enjoy reading and learning from and naturally we all come from a variety of interests and backgrounds.

I apologize if I created a tumultuous tone on this subject matter last night. It didn't help that this topic evolved into skin graphs on the anniversary of my friend's death via suicide as a result of those severe burns and the corresponding skin graph procedures that took place to give a shot at a normal life, which was far from normal after the tragic house fire incident transpired. In any event, I will try to avoid responding to topics that strike a negative personal chord with me and are a little to close to home for my own comfort. Thank you for understanding everyone, including Ruksak, I appreciate it. The whole episode is over, done, and water under the bridge now.

Oh no sweat brother. These discussion forums should display people clearly disagreeing in one thread and coming together in other threads. I do not trust people that are too agreeable, as if they want acceptance at the expense of their true feelings. I would never dislike a fellow Colts fan for their political/social opinions (racism/bigotry aside). I have friends I've known since grade school, people I would fight for (literally), and we disagree and argue about politics/social issues with passion.

If anything, this discussion has caused me to garner more respect for you, SW1. Because you have the stones to tell me how you really feel. That's respectable, sir.

True but this is the same court system that sided with a woman who sued McDonald's because they gave her hot coffee and she spilled it on herself...

I was going to reply to this, but instead I'm just going to agree with Yehoodi back on page 1.

Believe it or not, sometimes chain emails stretch the truth a bit.

:facepalm: I knew someone would try to make this into a much bigger deal than it was which was a simple example of a lawsuit that most people feel is rather silly rather she was justified to file it or not.

"most people" should find a better example then.

Oh no sweat brother. These discussion forums should display people clearly disagreeing in one thread and coming together in other threads. I do not trust people that are too agreeable, as if they want acceptance at the expense of their true feelings. I would never dislike a fellow Colts fan for their political/social opinions (racism/bigotry aside). I have friends I've known since grade school, people I would fight for (literally), and we disagree and argue about politics/social issues with passion.

If anything, this discussion has caused me to garner more respect for you, SW1. Because you have the stones to tell me how you really feel. That's respectable, sir.

I too really respect your candor Ruksak. It is not easy to admit when the lines of discourse and decency get blurred and a bit hazy at times. Passionate people on both sides of the aisle often have passionate debates as it should be. I have never been afraid to speak my mind and neither have you either--a rare and redeeming quality as you so eloquently stated earlier. If a topic ever evolves into choppy, volcanic waters again, please remember that I am simply vehemently defending to an ideal or a life experience that I have personally undergone which has shaped the man I have become today and I promise to extend you and all Colts Forum friends the same personal and professional courtesy. Thank you Ruksak. Have a pleasant evening.

Reading through this thread has been very interesting. I can now see why Jerry Jones and the Cowboys could be considered negligent when they placed such a bench outdoors.

Should the woman have realized that it may be extremely hot? Yes, but I know that I often do stupid things without thinking. After all, I am the one who started the "Stupid Things You Have Done" thread.

And, if the heat of this bench was enough to burn someone that severely in a short time span; it would have posed a hazard to those who couldn't have realized the potential hazard such as the learning impaired or young children.

However, this lady's story still sounds fishy to me. She doesn't remember how long she sat on the bench. Didn't know she was burnt until she went to the restroom, was treated for first degree burns, and then days later had third degree burns. :scratch:

I think the underlying theme in the responses is that many of us are tired of the frivolous law cases.

When my father passed away, I inherited 40 acres of farm ground. Since my husband and I don't own anything larger than a roto tiller, the ground is cash rented by a farmer. My insurance company has urged me to take out a farm policy that would protect me from any liability should someone be injured on those 40 acres.

This policy is not meant to cover any injuries that the farmer and his workers may incur, but to cover those who may be injured on my property even though I never gave them permission to step foot on that land . . . such as a snowmobiler suing me because he was injured when he hit a rock in the field.

I was told that the injured party would likely not win the case, but the insurance would help cover any court costs I may have. So far, I haven't taken out that insurance; but every year I start to worry when the first snowfall arrives.

@ Yehoodi I found your post regarding McDonalds very interesting and informative. Thank you. I also think it's great that you are an attorney. Now, I know where to get free legal advice. ;)

Reading through this thread has been very interesting. I can now see why Jerry Jones and the Cowboys could be considered negligent when they placed such a bench outdoors.

Although, I felt that the substance of these benches i.e. marble was irrelevant to the exact size of a financial settlement a client could be awarded, I will concede that this circumstance is similar to snow sliding off a stadium roof several feet above the structure and injuring an innocent patron and by standard. The question is one of personal safety and accidental or gross negligence. What specific steps were taken to prevent, offset, or minimize this situation from resulting in personal bodily harm and were there any incidents documenting repeated warnings that were ignored or neglected? If large umbrellas or tarp shades were placed over these outside benches would that precautionary move alleviate litigation issues in this Jerry Jones case?

@ Yehoodi I found your post regarding McDonalds very interesting and informative. Thank you. I also think it's great that you are an attorney. Now, I know where to get free legal advice. ;)

Not all attorneys are created equal in terms of jury experience, drafting legislation, or speaking before the state supreme court or U.S. Supreme Court. No attorney's advice is ever free beyond the initial consolation visit. There is a variety of different types of law to be an expert in: Corporate Entertainment Law, Injury Law, Environmental Law, Patent and Copyright Law, Divorce Law, Child Custody Law, Inheritance/Trust Fund Law, Tax Law, and Social Security Law just to name a few choices that a person can pass the bar for and practice state to state.

However, it is evident to me that Yehoodi is a logical thinker, very well spoken and extemely organized, and I am sure that he is well respected by his peers and legal colleagues and contemporaries IMO.