Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts-Rams Preview

Andy

The Double A Breakdown starts at the beginning of the regular season, so for now, we'll be doing just a brief preview on the Colts' preseason games. The Colts face the Rams on Sunday, and that game will be the first for Andrew Luck. Andrew Aziz tells you what to expect from him, and many other players.

Let's start with the offense. Andrew Luck is making his NFL debut and he'll be seeing the field a lot. He's expected to see 20-25 snaps against the Rams. This should give him a good feel of what the NFL is kind of like, and the Colts aren't overusing him. That's why I didn't like the Redskins underusing Robert Griffin III. If you start underusing the quarterback in the preseason, he won't be ready for the regular season. It's as simple as that. 20-25 times a game is perfect as Luck will now be ready for the season. I expect about around 15 throws from him, with him completing about 7 of them. History shows us that QBs complete around 50% of their passes in their first game. The things to watch is his decision making, and his improvisational skills (scrambling and moving around in the pocket).

As for the running backs, Donald Brown should see a couple of series, but expect the majority of the time to spent with Mewelde Moore, Vick Ballard, and Delone Carter, as they will be the ones getting the ball. Moore is most likely to get the most of the 3, but that could change as the night goes on.

For the receivers, Reggie Wayne and Austin Colie should see a couple of series. Austin Collie will be playing on the outside, not the slot. TY Hilton should be playing a lot. Donnie Avery was expected to get a lot of playing time, but he will be missing the game with a hip flexor injury. Kris Adams and Lavon Brazill should see a good amount of time also.

Tight end wise, it's going to be mostly Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen, with Andre Smith and Dominique Jones getting the most time after the 2 starters.

The O-line should see a lot of changes with Linkenbach and Reitz fighting for the LG spot and the right side of the line being replaceable. Expect to see a lot of changes, and Anthony Castonzo expected to see a lot of time. Castonzo has shown improvements this year, but this will really show us if he's real or not. As mentioned last week, Ben Ijalana is injured and unable to go for the season.

The D-line should also see a bunch of combinations with Cory Redding, Fili Moala and Mookie Johnson being the starting squad, but expect that to change before the season starts. If Mookie Johnson can't play the 1 gap defensive tackle, how can he play a 2 gap defensive tackle. It's simple logic. Brandon McKinney is expected to see a good amount of time too, with Chigbu Anuoby seeing some time late in the game. It's a feeling out process for the D-line.

The linebacker core should see some different lineups. Angerer is going to start along with Conner, but they aren't expected to play for long. Expect to see a lot of Jerrell Freeman, Scott Lutrus, Greg Lloyd and Moise Fokou. Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis are going to be playing the 3-4 OLB spot. Their amount of playing time is unknown because we don't know if the Colts don't want to overuse them, or underuse them. Jerry Hughes and Mario Harvey are their current backups, with Tim Fugger probably not playing.

The secondary will showcase Tom Zbikowski and the battle for the #2 cornerback spot. Cassius Vaughn is starting at that spot, but Justin King should see a good amount of time and the same for Korey Lindsey. Jerraud Powers and Antoine Bethea should also see some series. The mactchup to watch is David Caldwell vs Joe Lefeged. Both are battling for the backup spot, that could ultimately result in the final roster spot. That's going to be a tight race.

Nothing major from special teams. Patty McAfee will punt, but Brian Stahovich will also see a lot of time, probably because they want to rest McAfee. Stahovich is not going to take the punting job from McAfee. As for returning, Brazill is the return man, but Hilton should see some returns and maybe even Tom Zbikowski could take a few.

All in all, it should be an interesting first preseason game.

Prediction: Colts 21 vs Rams 13 (New era, new preseason scores!)

I tend to think Moore was brought it as a veteran guy to give Brown a veteran to get some pointers from, I think Moore gets some carries but very little and that Ballard, Carter and maybe Evans gets the majority of the carries, the staff knows Moore can run the ball I think he is just an insurance policy at this point who can provide some leadership at the position short term besides Moore is 30 years old

U know i'm not a big fan of Moore i really think he's a good running back, but i also think he is just there to give the other running backs pointers on how Mr. Arians likes to run his offense with running backs that's all.I hope he do well but i personally think the top 3 other running backs at this point are better them him (Brown, Ballard,and Carter). That's all the Colts need when season start.

U know before people start criticizing Donald Brown give him a full season to start before judging.Remember fans that Addai was handed the job when the Colts let Edge go so he did not have to be a back up and get limited carries like Donald had to do and reps as well. Donald had to deal with a depleted offensive line with a lot of line changes, but with all that occur the more he got the ball and reps he seem to get more explosive u could see it coming. Just so Colts fans know the Colts coaches and owner blew the season on purpose so they could reload the offense and bring in new blood. Curtis Painter can play football people the coaches put him in bad plays once they notice he could sling it he almost mess up are reloading trust me when i say this just watch him in Baltimore he is going to score a lot of pass td's in the preseason.

U know before people start criticizing Donald Brown give him a full season to start before judging.Remember fans that Addai was handed the job when the Colts let Edge go so he did not have to be a back up and get limited carries like Donald had to do and reps as well. Donald had to deal with a depleted offensive line with a lot of line changes, but with all that occur the more he got the ball and reps he seem to get more explosive u could see it coming. Just so Colts fans know the Colts coaches and owner blew the season on purpose so they could reload the offense and bring in new blood. Curtis Painter can play football people the coaches put him in bad plays once they notice he could sling it he almost mess up are reloading trust me when i say this just watch him in Baltimore he is going to score a lot of pass td's in the preseason.

He had a full season last year didn't he? Brown was pretty bad all year besides the last couple games. I hope he plays great and has a good year, but we shall see what happens.

Actually no Brown did not have a full year last year and he only started like 2 games remember Joseph Addai did start last year. And he was so bad that u probally thought Brown was starting, but i think this was long overdue anyway for Brown he was a 1st rounder so he deserve a chance just like Addai got.Addai stayed strangely healthy for most of the season so Brown got limited time and then on some occasions they use Delone Carter as well so.....

Brown had 645 yards last year on only 134 carries thats 4.8 yards per carry now lets say he doubles his carry amount to 268 times thats 1286.4 yards for the season, which is more then guys like Steven Jackson, Arian Foster, Frank Gore, Marshawn Lynch, Adrian Peterson. Brown would have been 5th in rushing with far less carries at 268 then Maurice Jones Drew league leading 343, Now MJD had 4.7 yards per carry, Lets say Donald Brown carried the ball as much as MJD did, Brown would have had (with his 4.8 yards per carry) 1646.4 yards in other words the rushing title, the dude can run but the holes have to be there and he has to get touches unlike last year when we insisted that we treat Curtis Painter like Peyton Manning

I was a critic of Donald Brown until I did the numbers also just so everyone nows 268 times for the season is only 16.7 times or rounded up 17 times a game compared to his 8.3 times per game last year neither amount is running the ball to much

U are right Gavin with Donald Brown, but i want to get on another player for a moment. Curtis Painter can play QB in the NFL just so u know Gavin. The reason why Curtis Painter start looking like a back up as he was, was because at first he was on fire we he 1st started for the Colts, but he was never the long term answer if P. Manning could never play anymore. So what did the organization do? The coaches start giving him plays that was against his strengths and turn the fans against him so they could pull him out as starter.Just watch you going to here a lot about Curtis Painter in the Preseason as a back up in Baltimore trust me!

I'm interested in seeing how Jeff Fisher coaches this game. Everyone in the world of football is going to want to see how Luck does, and this would be the perfect opportunity to upstage him and get people talking about the Rams. Fisher always has some random ideas and really gets the Dline after the QB. Could be scary.

Their motivation for doing this was to get themseves fired ?

Jeff Fisher has his FAVORITE CB (Finnegan). It's the Finnegan vs Wayne REUNION!!!!

*In my Announcer Voice* Luck takes the Snap, Fakes the Handoff to Donald Brown on Play Action... Throws it Deep looking for Wayne.... It's Caught!!! Finnegan on the Coverage. Finnegan has changed Uniforms people, but He has NOT Changed his playing Style. Finnegan is use to seeing the Back of Wayne's Jersey. This one could get Ugly Folks :lol: