Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nice article by Doug Farrar

Warhorse

It's a blog, but I think he describes the team and the last 5 years pretty darn well.

http://sports.yahoo....52229--nfl.html

The descriptions of our tendencies both offensively and defensively are pretty telling.

Very good article. Thanks for pointing it out.

It was pretty funny (and telling) when he made that comment about Lefeged being the worse return man in the NFL, by far. Which was as much a fault of our former ST coach as it was his. Any coach that would let him attempt to return KO after KO from deep in the endzone with the same pathetic results should have been let go a lot sooner.

That's the most insightful article I've read about our situation. We have been the most uncoached team in the NFL for years, and that's about to change. It's probably going to be painful for awhile. The approach might contain a lot of allowing people to show what they can or can't do in the type of defense that's needed in today's league. The offense will have some very smart young rookies learning the ropes. We may loose a bunch of games for a year, and end up with high draft picks and a boat load of cap space. I personally think it could be more fun to watch us loose some games with these new players developing, with NFL caliber coaching, and a front office that's not asleep at the wheel (or working on his autobiography), than it was to watch some of our past victories. I remember sitting through wins, where it seemed the majority of my time, time that I looked forward to all week, was spent watching the other guys plodding up and down the field all day. Is there any Colt fan out there that hasn't seen a 20 yd, pick up on 3rd and 18, and not been surprised. It won't bother me to go down swinging for awhile.

Most telling part, IMO:

Their anemic non-Manning offense went with "11" personnel (one tight end and one running back) 62 percent of the time, making them the only NFL team to go with a particular personnel grouping more than 60 percent of the time last year. They also used the standard 4-3-4 formation more than any other team used any other defensive formation, rushed just four defenders 82.4 percent of the time (by far the most in the league), almost never went with a nickel defense, zone-blitzed on just a few plays, and got very few quarterback sacks from linebackers or defensive backs. The offense almost never went with four or more receivers, or with an empty backfield ... and all these things are about to change.

We displayed zero creativity or originality last season. As bad as our quarterbacking was, and as many holes as we had on defense, our schemes didn't do anything to help the situation.

I'm surprised he didn't mention the cushions....

It still baffles me, that the people in charge of this team failed to see the lack of results, yet still continued to 'do what we do'. I'm sure glad we're trading that mantra in for cooler ones like 'building the monster' and 'football is a big man's game'.

I'm surprised he didn't mention the cushions....

It still baffles me, that the people in charge of this team failed to see the lack of results, yet still continued to 'do what we do'. I'm sure glad we're trading that mantra in for cooler ones like 'building the monster' and 'football is a big man's game'.

That is the expected result from an egotistical GM and a clueless coach