Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mcafee tweets about hgh testing

GoColts8818

More window dressing than anything. In its current form, it's incredibly easy to beat HGH testing because the baseline levels are different for everyone and the test really only has a viable 24-48 hour window in the best circumstances- If a player used it at breakfast, its possible he still may not test positive by bedtime.

That's why it hasn't caught anyone- they literally have to ambush you within hours of taking it to ring up a positive test. It's also much more expensive to run and implement, meaning they have to be selective on using a test that really only works if you test guys all the time. It's much easier if they find a paper trail on you or someone narcs- they tend to catch more guys with receipts than with the lab.

We'll still see a ton of players (and athletes from other pro sports) on it. The NCAA won't even go that far so players are free to use most PED's in college without worrying about even basic testing.

So, why incur the extra costs if you're the NFL? Easy - even if it's not effective from a practical standpoint, it's a great marketing tool for the league. Some kind of testing--even lousy testing--tends to make fans feel better about things.

More window dressing than anything. In its current form, it's incredibly easy to beat HGH testing because the baseline levels are different for everyone and the test really only has a viable 24-48 hour window in the best circumstances- If a player used it at breakfast, its possible he still may not test positive by bedtime.

That's why it hasn't caught anyone- they literally have to ambush you within hours of taking it to ring up a positive test. It's also much more expensive to run and implement, meaning they have to be selective on using a test that really only works if you test guys all the time. It's much easier if they find a paper trail on you or someone narcs- they tend to catch more guys with receipts than with the lab.

We'll still see a ton of players (and athletes from other pro sports) on it. The NCAA won't even go that far so players are free to use most PED's in college without worrying about even basic testing.

So, why incur the extra costs if you're the NFL? Easy - even if it's not effective from a practical standpoint, it's a great marketing tool for the league. Some kind of testing--even lousy testing--tends to make fans feel better about things.

That is actually a salient point Hans. How does the league balance reliability vs. a public relations gimmick? The idea behind HGH testing to preserve the integrity of the game is a good idea, but establishing an athlete's bloodstream baseline takes time and it can't be effectively measured at random junctures or points in time. HGH have often been used to speed up the healing process in a player to get back on the field of play in order to keep getting paid because if you are idle for too long your backup replaces you, you get cut, and you no longer receive game checks.

The irony here is that the NFL benefits by having key defensive players on the field making hits, tackles, sacks, selling jerseys, and making money for the NFL. The League can't have it both ways: Regulate unfair competitive advantages and sell jerseys and Best Hit DVD's at the same time. Can you say blatant hypocrisy Roger Goodell?

That is actually a salient point Hans. How does the league balance reliability vs. a public relations gimmick? The idea behind HGH testing to preserve the integrity of the game is a good idea, but establishing an athlete's bloodstream baseline takes time and it can't be effectively measured at random junctures or points in time. HGH have often been used to speed up the healing process in a player to get back on the field of play in order to keep getting paid because if you are idle for too long your backup replaces you, you get cut, and you no longer receive game checks.

The irony here is that the NFL benefits by having key defensive players on the field making hits, tackles, sacks, selling jerseys, and making money for the NFL. The League can't have it both ways: Regulate unfair competitive advantages and sell jerseys and Best Hit DVD's at the same time. Can you say blatant hypocrisy Roger Goodell?

Exactly. And it's important to remember as well that Goodell is essentially the mouthpiece for the owners. One has to ask how much money the owners are willing to take out of their own pockets for a situation like this, where even the best available testing isn't catching anyone.

The irony is that the the better the testing is, the better the odds they lose one or more of their star players either to getting caught or not recovering as quickly from injury/the daily grind. The last thing any owner wants is that. Owners invest $50 million in a star QB and they go down, of course they want them on anything that'll help get them back sooner and at 100%. Or something to keep that old LB or workhorse RB fresh come the playoff stretch run. The coaches aren't complaining, either, because ultimately it's wins that count for them and they're under insane pressure to get them.

To me, the policy is in place moreso to sell a clean image to fans than to actually deter from P.E.D. use. And frankly, I don't think it's a battle the league (and sports in general) could win even if they wanted to. There's no getting that genie back in the bottle with the massive amount of $ at stake and the intense pressure to win.

How many of the injuries that happen are being caused by juiced players? Now that the NFL is constantly and most likely increasingly being sued by current and former players, can you blame Goodell for trying to do anything he can to control that?

Have players and teams taken advantage of whatever has been available to them to keep them on the field? Absolutely. Have players purposely by their own free will gone back out on the field knowing that they are injured and could become more so? Absolutely. It is not the NFL’s fault if a player can no longer perform and is replaced. It is a players own greed for that huge paycheck that puts himself back on the field. They continue to complain about all the safety rules that are put in place then want to sue for more money when they retire because of injuries sustained while playing. To me it is the players who want to have it both ways.

LOL I wouldon't know. He blocked me LOL.....

Robert Mathis tweeted something about McAfee having more followers than Mathis and I tweeted to both of them "don't worry Robert he may have more followers but defense wins championships" and that was the last tweet I ever got from the #boomstick. LOL