Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Salary cap space released!

vinatierifan4

If they can get him for approx 4 mil this year next year if i remeber right we will be top 3 as far as cap space next year. So making room not a huge issue

I forgot that he was still under contract, so he'd be relatively cheap this year. But it may be painful on what it would cost for the trade. If he's truly recovered from the shoulder injury he's going to be wanted by several teams.

Back to the topic, our cap looks good this year and fantastic next season.

I think you've got it.

:thmup:

Thanks , I keep trying . Getting to be an old man but if you don't understand how the cap works , you pretty much should just stay out of all the discusions on who we sign and who we let go

• 1 month later...

We have 38,000,000 in dead money in our cap, reportedly we can carry 2 players cap money till next year Manning was 10,000,000, and Clark was 7,000,000. Are the colts taking all of the dead money cap hit this year. Which means we have 82 million while every one else is playing with 120 million. Besides not having a good backup for manning , this is where the polians screwed up

freeney represents 19 million in cap, wonder what they are going to do with him

Nothing. We entertained the idea of trading him, but we're over that now. It's the last year of his deal, and he'll likely be moving on next year because I don't see us offering near what he could get elsewhere to stay here.

We have 38,000,000 in dead money in our cap, reportedly we can carry 2 players cap money till next year Manning was 10,000,000, and Clark was 7,000,000.

I don't think this is right. I don't see why we would be. I'm not a cap expert so I can't really speak on the matter. Can they split a cap hit for a player that was released if they are strapped for money?

We have 38,000,000 in dead money in our cap, reportedly we can carry 2 players cap money till next year Manning was 10,000,000, and Clark was 7,000,000. Are the colts taking all of the dead money cap hit this year. Which means we have 82 million while every one else is playing with 120 million. Besides not having a good backup for manning , this is where the polians screwed up

Technically, Grigson was the one that released the players which created the dead money in the 2012 salary cap.

Hopefully the following examples will make it clearer.

When Manning was released, he had 16 million of unamortized dollars left from signing bonus(20/5) on his contract signed in 2011. Since the 2011 salary cap carried a 5.6 cap hit that was based on the assumption the 28 million option bonus would be paid(28/5) late in the 2011 league year. This allowed for part of that option bonus to be carried in the 2011 league year. Since the option bonus was refused by the Colts, Manning was released and that 5.6 cap hit from 2011 becomes a credit towards the 16 million that the team was faced with for a 2012 dead cap hit. Thus creating the 10.4 million cap hit for Manning in 2012. I"m typing in green italicized bold here since this part is hypothetical, it did not happen, it could not happen and cannot happen. I'm just have that treated as a post June1/2 cut, they would have had to designate that as such. If they wanted to treat that his release 2012 has a 1.6 million dollar salary cap credit . (4.0-5.6 credit), 2013 would have been charged with a 12 million dead cap space. In the end, the same 10.4 million is going to be accounted on the salary cap.

The current management chose to eat the 10.4 cap hit this year along with the dead cap space hits of the other players released prior to June 1.

Last season the Colts released Hayden on July 30th. In his case, since it was after 6/1, his 2011 unamortized amount of 2.7 remained in place for the 2011 salary cap and the remaining amount was carried into 2012, which is why he is still on the books for 5.4 million which is the equivalent to two years of pro-rated signing bonus) (13.5/5).

(1) For any player removed from the Team’s roster, or whose Contract is assigned to another Club via waivers or trade, on or before June 1 in any League Year prior to the Final League Year, or at any time during the Final League Year, any unamor-tized signing bonus amounts will be included in Team Salary for such League Year, except that for each League Year preceding the Final League Year, each Club may designate up to two Player Contracts that, if terminated on or prior to June 1 and if not renegotiated after the last regular season game of the prior League Year, shall be treated (except to the extent prescribed by Section 6(d)(iv) below) as if terminated on June 2, i.e., the Salary Cap charge for each such contract will remain in the Club’s Team Salary until June 2, at which time its Paragraph 5 Salary and any unearned LTBE incentives will no longer be counted and any unamortized signing bonus will be treated as set forth in Subsection (2) below. If acceleration puts a Team over the Salary Cap, the Team will have seven days to conform with the Salary Cap, but may not sign any players until there is Room to do so under the Salary Cap.

To my knowledge the Colts did not designate any of those pre-6/1 releases to be counted in a way that a portion of their cap is carried in 2012, and then the balance is accounted for in 2013. Which is why the dead cap space is nearing 40 million. They are getting it off the books so that those figures aren't counting against next years cap. To me that is the correct way to do it.