Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Will "Mentor" Luck?

King Colt

U know people seem to forget who the Indianapolis Colts are as an organization they do it the Colts way this is not the Greenbay Packers they do it there way and the Colts do it there way.Aaron Rodgers did not come out of college as the best qb the past ten or so years Andrew Luck did so he is comepletely different then Rodgers and in a different situation when Colts draft QB's they draft only the best and they put them in there from jump start because they are that good.Peyton was sent to the doghouse Andrew Luck will to that's how the Colts do it when they did P.Manning didn't do nothing, but change how the position is play today and oh yeah become in my opinion the greatest quarterback ever.U know how many Peyton wannabes there are in the NFL plenty and Tom Brady is one of them he's not Peyton! Any way the Colts need to let all there young talent play to see how they are going to build this next era of Colts please let the young talented players play see what they got forget these old u to be's veterans they only going to delay there development prime example Brackett stay too long Pat should have been the MLB for the Colts now he's the future and only goint to get better!

hillarious... Colts draft the best QB prospects when they have the first draft pick... hope you're trying to be funny, because this post is hillarious...

Curtis Painter... only the best!!!!

U know people seem to forget who the Indianapolis Colts are as an organization they do it the Colts way this is not the Greenbay Packers they do it there way and the Colts do it there way.Aaron Rodgers did not come out of college as the best qb the past ten or so years Andrew Luck did so he is comepletely different then Rodgers and in a different situation when Colts draft QB's they draft only the best and they put them in there from jump start because they are that good.Peyton was sent to the doghouse Andrew Luck will to that's how the Colts do it. When they did P.Manning didn't do nothing, but change how the position is played today and oh yeah become in my opinion the greatest quarterback ever.U know how many Peyton wannabes there are in the NFL plenty and Tom Brady is one of them he's not Peyton! Any way the Colts need to let all there young talent play to see how they are going to build this next era of Colts please! Let the young talented players play see what they got forget these old use to be's veterans they only going to delay there development a prime example: Brackett stayed too long Pat Angerer should have been the MLB for the Colts when they first put him in at MLB he showed the instincts of how the position supposed 2be played now he's the future and only going to get better!

you know I didnt count the characters but I think you have me beat for the longest run on sentence. Also how did Peyton change how the position was played besides be part of the team that whined about wide receivers being held that caused the rule change about not being able touch a wide receivers beyond 5 yards to be implemented, as for the rest I agree with one exception, You do need a few veterans on the team but those veterans must still be able to play at a high if not elite level and not costing us an arm and a leg to do so. The guys we let go either haven't recently played that way or would have cost us an arm and a leg to keep them at the cost of our future

you know I didnt count the characters but I think you have me beat for the longest run on sentence. Also how did Peyton change how the position was played besides be part of the team that whined about wide receivers being held that caused the rule change about not being able touch a wide receivers beyond 5 yards to be implemented, as for the rest I agree with one exception, You do need a few veterans on the team but those veterans must still be able to play at a high if not elite level and not costing us an arm and a leg to do so. The guys we let go either haven't recently played that way or would have cost us an arm and a leg to keep them at the cost of our future

You do know that rule wasn't changed it was a rule that was on the books that wasn't being enforced right? Not only did the colts bring it up that it wasn't being called so did the eagles. Both teams were well within their right to ask the league to enforce a rule already on the books that played a role in keeping both teams out of the super bowl.

Also how did Peyton change how the position was played besides be part of the team that whined about wide receivers being held that caused the rule change about not being able touch a wide receivers beyond 5 yards to be implemented

Yeah, the guy that broke Marino's record did nothing to change the position. The guy that has been the on field offensive coordinator who changes plays, runs the no huddle 99% of the time, and puts his team in the best position to succeed, he did nothing to change the game. Oh, and the guy that won 4 MVPs... yeah, all he did was contribute to the rule of not being able to touch WRs beyond 5 yards. Yeesh, what a disgrace that guy was.

The reality is, if it wasn't for 18, there would be a whole lot of people who had lost jobs a lot sooner than they did. Dungy, Polian, Meeks, etc. etc. All of these guys benefited for years because their QB would literally bail them out time and again. If we had lost Manning at some point during his 13 active seasons, we might have actually seen some philosophy changes that would've brought about a competitive defensive roster. Instead, he masked any problems the Colts had, and kept a lot of jobs going when they wouldn't likely have otherwise. Low and behold Manning sit out a season and everything gets re-worked.

I just hate to think of what this team could be for the next 3-4 years if we had kept Manning (and he stayed healthy), and traded the 1st overall pick to the Browns for 2 firsts this year, and two firsts in the next two seasons. We could have filled out our roster with some top quality young talent, and kept our offense going as it was, and be a SB contender for each of those 3-4 years (assuming Pagano pans out). Instead, we get to re-start the franchise with a great young prospect at QB. Each option was viable, but to me, this team could've competed at a high level and started the re-build with Manning.

In any case, Manning is the most revered player in the NFL. You ask any dumb shmuck on a street corner who knows nothing about football if he knows the name of any NFL player, and I'd be willing to bet 50+% of them name Manning. He was (and still could be) that good.

You do know that rule wasn't changed it was a rule that was on the books that wasn't being enforced right? Not only did the colts bring it up that it wasn't being called so did the eagles. Both teams were well within their right to ask the league to enforce a rule already on the books that played a role in keeping both teams out of the super bowl.

I dont recall that rule being in the books or called before the complaints

Coaches usually teach and Peyton didn't have someone take him under his wing. Why do people think he needs training wheels? Plus Luck watched PMs whole career . Luck needs experience and coaching, that's it.

Yeah, the guy that broke Marino's record did nothing to change the position. The guy that has been the on field offensive coordinator who changes plays, runs the no huddle 99% of the time, and puts his team in the best position to succeed, he did nothing to change the game. Oh, and the guy that won 4 MVPs... yeah, all he did was contribute to the rule of not being able to touch WRs beyond 5 yards. Yeesh, what a disgrace that guy was.

The reality is, if it wasn't for 18, there would be a whole lot of people who had lost jobs a lot sooner than they did. Dungy, Polian, Meeks, etc. etc. All of these guys benefited for years because their QB would literally bail them out time and again. If we had lost Manning at some point during his 13 active seasons, we might have actually seen some philosophy changes that would've brought about a competitive defensive roster. Instead, he masked any problems the Colts had, and kept a lot of jobs going when they wouldn't likely have otherwise. Low and behold Manning sit out a season and everything gets re-worked.

I just hate to think of what this team could be for the next 3-4 years if we had kept Manning (and he stayed healthy), and traded the 1st overall pick to the Browns for 2 firsts this year, and two firsts in the next two seasons. We could have filled out our roster with some top quality young talent, and kept our offense going as it was, and be a SB contender for each of those 3-4 years (assuming Pagano pans out). Instead, we get to re-start the franchise with a great young prospect at QB. Each option was viable, but to me, this team could've competed at a high level and started the re-build with Manning.

In any case, Manning is the most revered player in the NFL. You ask any dumb shmuck on a street corner who knows nothing about football if he knows the name of any NFL player, and I'd be willing to bet 50+% of them name Manning. He was (and still could be) that good.

Well if we go down the records road then I believe it was Tom Brady that broke his record both records of which were made after the 5 yard rule change as for bailing us out I get that he did countless times but thats hardly saying he changed the way the game is played thats just saying he was that dang good as for the keeping Manning debate thats been brought up time and time again I wont touch that one the whole thing about Manning saving Polian, Dungy and all the rest also I get but has nothing to do with changing the game

Well my answer to u is yes Peyton Manning did change the way the game was played with his fake and real hand signals and play callling on the field. And since u brought up that game against the Patriots with them grabbing receivers i remember that game they were grabbing them 20+ yards down the field so that rule was right to change.Now Brady fumbling against the Raiders was not a real change rule they just tried to make up for them giving that game to New England because he did fumble and they didn't want to call it now that change the fans opinions on if they call the football games far which they do not sometimes.

Well my answer to u is yes Peyton Manning did change the way the game was played with his fake and real hand signals and play callling on the field. And since u brought up that game against the Patriots with them grabbing receivers i remember that game they were grabbing them 20+ yards down the field so that rule was right to change.Now Brady fumbling against the Raiders was not a real change rule they just tried to make up for them giving that game to New England because he did fumble and they didn't want to call it now that change the fans opinions on if they call the football games far which they do not sometimes.

I would have left the rule alone, we werent the only team getting grabbed and such its football its a physical sport, passing records have been being broken now it seems left and right since the rule change, Manning, Brees, Brady. I wonder if records like that would have been broken if it werent for the rule change

hillarious... Colts draft the best QB prospects when they have the first draft pick... hope you're trying to be funny, because this post is hillarious...

Curtis Painter... only the best!!!!

Well here is the list of great qb's the Colts drafed Johnny Unitas,John Elway,Jeff George,Peyton Manning,and now Andrew Luck and don't forget the great pick up in free agency oh yeah Captin Comeback Jon Harbaugh tho the Colts did not draft him he was a good qb. 3 of those qb's drafted by the Colts are arguabally the greatest to play in there respectable era's well 2 were the best Elway was arguabally the best in his time having Montana, and Marino as rivals.So yeah that's the Colts tradition qb's oh and Curtis Painter is a good qb he was better than Sorgi they just purposely put him in bad calls and situation last year so they could get Andrew Luck watch the games he can play.

Great Logic......

Well here is the list of great qb's the Colts drafed Johnny Unitas,John Elway,Jeff George,Peyton Manning,and now Andrew Luck and don't forget the great pick up in free agency oh yeah Captin Comeback Jon Harbaugh tho the Colts did not draft him he was a good qb. 3 of those qb's drafted by the Colts are arguabally the greatest to play in there respectable era's well 2 were the best Elway was arguabally the best in his time having Montana, and Marino as rivals.So yeah that's the Colts tradition qb's oh and Curtis Painter is a good qb he was better than Sorgi they just purposely put him in bad calls and situation last year so they could get Andrew Luck watch the games he can play.

Just saying "My Team only drafts the best QBs" is a laughable comment... You draft the best player available when your draft pick is up...

and saying the Colts drafted Elway is not a strong argument...

your original post still makes me laugh...

U know people seem to forget who the Indianapolis Colts are as an organization they do it the Colts way this is not the Greenbay Packers they do it there way and the Colts do it there way . . . Pat should have been the MLB for the Colts now he's the future and only goint to get better!

U know people seem to forget who the Indianapolis Colts are as an organization they do it the Colts way this is not the Greenbay Packers they do it there way and the Colts do it there way . . . Pat Angerer should have been the MLB for the Colts when they first put him in at MLB he showed the instincts of how the position supposed 2be played now he's the future and only going to get better!

The post so nice, he posted it twice.

Not really. What works for some doesn't always work for others. What doesn't work for some may work for others.

I could see a number of young QBs benefiting from having a veteran there to bounce ideas off of. QBs that have actually played the game in this decade may even have insight on certain tells of the opposing defense. IE - If you see this, expect this.

I recall seeing several times in years past where the sideline QB, Jim Sorgi, was jotting down notes (insert clipboard jokes here) and giving Peyton tips from the sidelines. Personally, I don't so much see Stanton as a mentor, but as someone who is hungry for a starting role. He'll push Luck, and Luck will push back. Stanton has a slim to none chance of seeing the field without an injury to our starter, but he will be a valuable asset on the sideline, just as Sorgi was. Like it or not, Sorgi may've been responsible for a handful of Peyton's successful plays by picking up on things Peyton can't while on the field. That is not to say that he deserves credit for those plays, but simply that he contributed even though he never saw the field.

Coaches coach. Veteran players lead by example, and give rookies something to compare themself against. Luck will likely want to work twice as hard as Stanton knowing that he is several steps behind in being acclimated to the NFL game. I have no doubt he'll catch up and surpass Stanton in no time, but the presence of a QB with NFL experience behind our #1 overall pick does nothing but improve his progression, IMO.

Not really. What works for some doesn't always work for others. What doesn't work for some may work for others.

I could see a number of young QBs benefiting from having a veteran there to bounce ideas off of. QBs that have actually played the game in this decade may even have insight on certain tells of the opposing defense. IE - If you see this, expect this.

I recall seeing several times in years past where the sideline QB, Jim Sorgi, was jotting down notes (insert clipboard jokes here) and giving Peyton tips from the sidelines. Personally, I don't so much see Stanton as a mentor, but as someone who is hungry for a starting role. He'll push Luck, and Luck will push back. Stanton has a slim to none chance of seeing the field without an injury to our starter, but he will be a valuable asset on the sideline, just as Sorgi was. Like it or not, Sorgi may've been responsible for a handful of Peyton's successful plays by picking up on things Peyton can't while on the field. That is not to say that he deserves credit for those plays, but simply that he contributed even though he never saw the field.

Coaches coach. Veteran players lead by example, and give rookies something to compare themself against. Luck will likely want to work twice as hard as Stanton knowing that he is several steps behind in being acclimated to the NFL game. I have no doubt he'll catch up and surpass Stanton in no time, but the presence of a QB with NFL experience behind our #1 overall pick does nothing but improve his progression, IMO.

What I had intended to say, but got called into a meeting...

So I agree that Sorgi was an asset to Manning, but I wouldn't call him a mentor to Manning... would you?

I think it's a myth that young QBs need a veteran mentor. Having someone on the sidelines who can disect what the D is doing (and can give a different perspective to how to counteract what they see) is surely valuable, but Sorgi is the best proof I could conceive that it doesn't need to be a "veteran mentor".

What I had intended to say, but got called into a meeting...

So I agree that Sorgi was an asset to Manning, but I wouldn't call him a mentor to Manning... would you?

I think it's a myth that young QBs need a veteran mentor. Having someone on the sidelines who can disect what the D is doing (and can give a different perspective to how to counteract what they see) is surely valuable, but Sorgi is the best proof I could conceive that it doesn't need to be a "veteran mentor".

Well that is partly the thing. No, Sorgi was no mentor to Manning, but he was a second set of eyes. I am sure it took a year or two for Sorgi to be someone Manning would take advice from or listen to with respect to the defenses. Thus, to get anything out of that person, they'd need to be a person who has either experienced it, or someone who has been in the league for a while and knows what to look for.

For a rookie passer, the "mentor" (or sideline QB) needs to be someone with some level of experience. Stanton is probably good enough for that. My only acceptance of this idea is that a sideline QB can be a starting QB's best friend.

Also, from the actual mentor aspect, I think that is just something that can help a rookie get acclimated. He can likely get that from any veteran, and my guess is Wayne will be a great asset having worked with one of the hardest working QBs in the league, but a rookie should have someone that helps them understand what is expected of them in the pro game.

Who will mento Luck??? I looked at roster today he's not there so apparently we haven't even signed him. So who will sign Mr. Irsay let's get on the ball before we talk about mentoring him.

Technically, the Colts can't sign him until he's done with school. Last class is next Thursday. I'm guessing he's taking a plane to Indy that night. He has said he'll be at camp on Friday, June 8th. A week from today. I'd expect a contract a very short time after that. Did I mention a week from today?!? :td::applause: :clap:

NewColtsFan

Technically, the Colts can't sign him until he's done with school. Last class is next Thursday. I'm guessing he's taking a plane to Indy that night. He has said he'll be at camp on Friday, June 8th. A week from today. I'd expect a contract a very short time after that. Did I mention a week from today?!? :td::applause: :clap:

NewColtsFan

They could have signed him months ago. He just can't join the team until Stanford's academic quarter is complete.

It appears you are correct.... though why they haven't signed him until now is a bit of a mystery. Though Luck is now being represented by an Uncle, I believe, and I don't think he's experienced in this manner. Can't imagine that helps the process along.

Either way, whatever the answer is.... I remained not worried about it.... he'll be signed soon. And the journey will begin....

But thanks again....

NCF

Unitas was a draft pick of the Steelers, not the Colts.

Jeff George was not great.

It appears you are correct.... though why they haven't signed him until now is a bit of a mystery. Though Luck is now being represented by an Uncle, I believe, and I don't think he's experienced in this manner. Can't imagine that helps the process along.

Either way, whatever the answer is.... I remained not worried about it.... he'll be signed soon. And the journey will begin....

But thanks again....

NCF

I mentioned a few weeks ago after the Irsay send plane to Stanford/The U debacle that if he had an agent worth his salt, he would have a deal lined up with an executive jet company either bring Reggie to Stanford or Luck to Miami.

There really isn't much to negotiate, so I'm not sure why there is any form of a hold up. I felt it would be a mistake to sign him months before the draft and I thought he would be signed the in a 14 day span book-ending the draft

I don't think there is anything to worry about. It is just taking longer than expected.

I mentioned a few weeks ago after the Irsay send plane to Stanford/The U debacle that if he had an agent worth his salt, he would have a deal lined up with an executive jet company either bring Reggie to Stanford or Luck to Miami.

My hunch......

Luck is a shy, private guy. He does not like the spotlight on him. Doesn't like talking about himself. Most of the interviews he does do he does so he can talk about teammates or coaches, not about himself. And if he does talk about himself, it's reluctantly. Perhaps he'll grow out of it. Maybe someday he becomes more Manning like with commercials and endorsements and such, but it wouldn't surprise me if he never does.

Hard to see him doing a deal for an executive jet company. I love your outside-the-box thinking, really I do. I just don't think Andrew is wired that way. He really hates the spotlight.

Classy kid. Think with time you'll grow to love him for more than just the wins....

NCF

My hunch......

Luck is a shy, private guy. He does not like the spotlight on him. Doesn't like talking about himself. Most of the interviews he does do he does so he can talk about teammates or coaches, not about himself. And if he does talk about himself, it's reluctantly. Perhaps he'll grow out of it. Maybe someday he becomes more Manning like with commercials and endorsements and such, but it wouldn't surprise me if he never does.

Hard to see him doing a deal for an executive jet company. I love your outside-the-box thinking, really I do. I just don't think Andrew is wired that way. He really hates the spotlight.

Classy kid. Think with time you'll grow to love him for more than just the wins....

NCF

I'm just looking at it as business as business. It could have been a print add in jet magazines, since you rarely see commercials.

Even with his Nike money, he could have bought 1st class tickets and treated it as a business expense.

The only way I can see the family/agent working is early on with the rookie salary scale. After that I believe it would be in his best interests to have a more experienced agent.

Even with his Nike money, he could have bought 1st class tickets and treated it as a business expense.

The only way I can see the family/agent working is early on with the rookie salary scale. After that I believe it would be in his best interests to have a more experienced agent.

Though it was talked about publicly, it appears as if Andrew has not worked out with Austin Collie yet, even though they're only about 2 hours apart. So, my guess is, if he hasn't worked out with Collie, then he may not have worked out with Wayne and Hilton down in Miami. I confess I'm surprised. Perhaps the players told him it wasn't worth the effort for only a short visit?

Dunno?

Coincidentally, here's a story on NFL.com just today about Collie. Says they haven't worked out but have talked. Let's see if I can link this properly...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829874b6/article/austin-collie-excited-to-be-part-of-colts-next-chapter

As for the family agent -- agreed. Works this time around where the money is slotted. He'll likely need an experienced agent for the 2nd contract. That's the real money maker. And, if he's lucky for a 3rd contract, or at least, some renegotiations to help the team with salary cap issues...

I'm sure we'll learn much more once Andrew shows up and meets with the media. Can't imagine him not being asked what he did, and didn't do during the past month. I confess I'm curious. But, then again, I always am.

NCF

In other words, this whole mentor thing is a myth.

Id guess it really depends on the player/person ... intelligent and mature enough to handle situations on their own vs not so bright and immature. I get the impression that Luck will be much like Manning as opposed to someone like Sanchez who more likely requires a regular hand holding.

Though it was talked about publicly, it appears as if Andrew has not worked out with Austin Collie yet, even though they're only about 2 hours apart. So, my guess is, if he hasn't worked out with Collie, then he may not have worked out with Wayne and Hilton down in Miami. I confess I'm surprised. Perhaps the players told him it wasn't worth the effort for only a short visit?

Dunno?

Coincidentally, here's a story on NFL.com just today about Collie. Says they haven't worked out but have talked. Let's see if I can link this properly...

http://www.nfl.com/n...ts-next-chapter

As for the family agent -- agreed. Works this time around where the money is slotted. He'll likely need an experienced agent for the 2nd contract. That's the real money maker. And, if he's lucky for a 3rd contract, or at least, some renegotiations to help the team with salary cap issues...

I'm sure we'll learn much more once Andrew shows up and meets with the media. Can't imagine him not being asked what he did, and didn't do during the past month. I confess I'm curious. But, then again, I always am.

NCF

Agreed. I'm not sure why there wasn't any throwing sessions. I know how Manning traveled to Provo to work with Collie and how he went to Columbus to work with Gonzalez. Not quite the distance from Palo Alto to Miami, but I'm sure Stanford could have made some arrangements to host Wayne/Collie. Heck he someone could have endowed the Andrew Luck travel fund. :)