Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential Cuts (in my opinion)

Gavin

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, this seems like more of a Cover 2 mentality than anything, IMO. To me, if you put Haloti Ngata next to Casey Hampton (in his prime), I don't care that either one can't penetrate the pocket, each one will aid in collapsing the pocket. If it takes the offense's middle front three to isolate the front two of that line, you leave gaping holes to the sides as your tackles kick out to stop the ends.

I've heard this mentality a lot in the past, but I just think you have different types of players. Honestly, if you had 4 Haloti Ngata's across the front four of your defense, you'd still have a really, really scary defense. Are they fast? Not necessarily, but they will do plenty to free up the other 7 to make plays. Just my opinion, but I honestly think the whole NT/UT concept gets beat to death from the Colts past.

No, it does not stem from the Cover 2 mentality, it just is a 4-3 concept, whether you like it or not.

Collapsing the pocket is a key element of the pass rush, and lane clogging is not the same as collapsing or pushing the pocket to provide pass rush. While I have not seen Chapman play a down in the NFL, both Chigbo and Chapman are scouted as lane cloggers. Normally, those are kinds that DO NOT push the pocket. LBs can make plays in run D when those guys clog the lanes. But what about pass rush?

Let us not compare them to Haloti Ngata who can stop the run and push the pocket both at a high level? These guys, for the role they have been drafted, have been drafted to be one trick ponies, for run D, mainly. Anything more is gravy to me. So, in pass D, they will be played one-on-one since they do not have the pass rush moves. It is still 5 vs 4 in favor of the O-line with possibly an RB to protect and it is not like our LBs are world beaters in pass coverage to hold up even if the numbers are in our favor in the backside.

The Giants' D-line made of relatively smaller DTs play the NASCAR package with 4 DEs to pass rush, but employ the same 4-3 NT & UT concepts for traditional run defense. They don't play Cover 2 all the time.

You are just tired of hearing the NT/UT concept, it does not make it invalid.

The last time the Colts made it to the SB in 2009, we had a middle of the road run D with AJ & Muir in the middle. Those were like 2 NTs in the middle, hence we were very good on short yardage plays. Several instances in the 17-15 Ravens games where we made stops on 3rd down forcing Ravens to kick 5 FGs, several instances in the Denver home game for stops on 3rd and short or 4th & short, most of them on run D. Not to forget, that goal line stand stop vs the Saints going for 4th down before the half on 4th & 1 that gave us the ball in the SB before the half (though we did not do much with it).

However, with that same line up, look at the only good passing team we played that year, the Pats. Wide open lanes to throw to in the pocket and once they went 6 OLs with double teams on Mathis & Freeney, AJ & Muir could not collapse the pocket to get to Brady to even beat one-on-ones. Brady ripped us to shreds though Peyton got the better of him thanks to the 4th & 2. Heck, even when Kyle Orton and the Broncos got behind and started throwing, we could not get to him once they doubled Frathis, same story again, no pocket pushing. Then, we give 22 receptions to Brandon Marshall.

The teams we beat in the playoffs, suited the types of teams we beat all year, running teams in the Ravens and Jets. The next good passing team we played, the Saints, Brees broke the SB record for completion pct.

When Ed Johnson was playing for us at UT, we used to put him as pass down NT thus going with smaller and more athletic DTs for pass rush. I envision Nevis being able to play a similar kind of role. So, the NT & UT concept will NEVER get old, we may but it wont. Maybe we have our own version of the NASCAR package. Fortunately, for the Giants, their division is not loaded with RBs like MJD, Arian Foster and CJ2K. LeSean McCoy is the best RB in their division.

Well I guess it's certainly possible. Manning got cut...

Too shallow in their respective positions for me to let any of those guys go personally. Addison and Johnson will be good backups for the D-line. Karim brings too much value to the return game to let go. He was a great backup for MJD, though obviously not nearly as good, he was at least serviceable when he stepped in.

We got T.Y. Hilton to contribute in the return game. Karim also has three running backs ahead of him. Granted, its very possible that he beats out Delone Carter or Donald Brown or the Colts decide to go with four running backs, but for now he's probably on the outside looking in.

As for Addison, I don't see how an UDFA from last year with 6 tackles in the season who is going to be asked to move to a new position is not a potential cut.

No, it does not stem from the Cover 2 mentality, it just is a 4-3 concept, whether you like it or not.

Collapsing the pocket is a key element of the pass rush, and lane clogging is not the same as collapsing or pushing the pocket to provide pass rush. While I have not seen Chapman play a down in the NFL, both Chigbo and Chapman are scouted as lane cloggers. Normally, those are kinds that DO NOT push the pocket. LBs can make plays in run D when those guys clog the lanes. But what about pass rush?

Let us not compare them to Haloti Ngata who can stop the run and push the pocket both at a high level? These guys, for the role they have been drafted, have been drafted to be one trick ponies, for run D, mainly. Anything more is gravy to me. So, in pass D, they will be played one-on-one since they do not have the pass rush moves. It is still 5 vs 4 in favor of the O-line with possibly an RB to protect and it is not like our LBs are world beaters in pass coverage to hold up even if the numbers are in our favor in the backside.

The Giants' D-line made of relatively smaller DTs play the NASCAR package with 4 DEs to pass rush, but employ the same 4-3 NT & UT concepts for traditional run defense. They don't play Cover 2 all the time.

The last time the Colts made it to the SB in 2009, we had a middle of the road run D with AJ & Muir in the middle. Those were like 2 NTs in the middle, hence we were very good on short yardage plays. Several instances in the 17-15 Ravens games where we made stops on 3rd down forcing Ravens to kick 5 FGs, several instances in the Denver home game for stops on 3rd and short or 4th & short, most of them on run D. Not to forget, that goal line stand stop vs the Saints going for 4th down before the half on 4th & 1 that gave us the ball in the SB before the half (though we did not do much with it).

However, with that same line up, look at the only good passing team we played that year, the Pats. Wide open lanes to throw to in the pocket and once they went 6 OLs with double teams on Mathis & Freeney, AJ & Muir could not collapse the pocket to get to Brady to even beat one-on-ones. Brady ripped us to shreds though Peyton got the better of him thanks to the 4th & 2. Heck, even when Kyle Orton and the Broncos got behind and started throwing, we could not get to him once they doubled Frathis, same story again, no pocket pushing. Then, we give 22 receptions to Brandon Marshall.

The teams we beat in the playoffs, suited the types of teams we beat all year, running teams in the Ravens and Jets. The next good passing team we played, the Saints, Brees broke the SB record for completion pct.

When Ed Johnson was playing for us at UT, we used to put him as pass down NT thus going with smaller and more athletic DTs for pass rush. I envision Nevis being able to play a similar kind of role. So, the NT & UT concept will NEVER get old, we may but it wont. Maybe we have our own version of the NASCAR package. Fortunately, for the Giants, their division is not loaded with RBs like MJD, Arian Foster and CJ2K. LeSean McCoy is the best RB in their division.

I agree in alot you said but Chigbo looks to have the power and even the acceleration and speed to rush the passer http://www.blackcoll...tId=RZQDS7ix3A8

I agree in all you said but Chigbo looks to have the power and even the acceleration and speed to rush the passer http://www.blackcoll...tId=RZQDS7ix3A8

Like I said, anything more than lane clogging that Chigbo provides, I will be a super happy camper!!! :) I would love that to happen. Chigbo does move well for a big man.

I am just tempering my expectations till I see these guys play against top notch O-linemen at the next level, so bear with my glass half empty approach here. :)

I am not saying he's as important as a Kicker. I am saying he's treated like a kicker that if you have a good one you don't get ride of him. That doesn't mean he's as important as the kicker it just means if you have a good one you don't replace them and the main reason you don't replace them is because they are cheap by NFL standards and hard to find. With that said if you don't have a good long snapper to get the ball back there it doesn't matter how good of a kicker you have.

They aren't that hard to find. A good kicker is hard to find. There are plenty of good long snappers. It's a critical element, but the degree of difficulty isn't that high. Long snapper is very replaceable. You don't go looking to replace him just for no reason, but he's not sacred. That's all I'm saying.

It remains to be seen if that's true competition. For years we signed a second kicker just to rest Adam or a third QB just for camp with no real shot of him replacing our current QBs.

That's kind of my point. If we bring in a camp leg, we know it's a camp leg, because that's what we always do. Most teams do that when they have older kickers. I don't remember us ever bringing in other potential long snappers before. This is a new regime, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but we don't bring in two guys with experience at that role (one who does it exclusively) if we aren't going to look at them in camp.

I am not disagreeing with that our put coverage being subpar but it's not all Snow's fault. Frankly if you are counting on him to be a big play maker on your special teams that says more about the rest of the guys on the unit.

All valid points. Just saying that another guy could be better in coverage, and just as good a snapper. And then what happens?

He had one last season...that's one. He's not perfect. Over his career he has been very good at snapping. Yes he's going to have a miss here or there. Adam misses a kick now and then too. Like you said you aren't looking for perfection.

Justin Snow has been very dependable. I'm just saying that everyone makes a mistake every now and then, even the best.

I never said he was the only one who could do it. With that said, it remains to be seen if those guys are true competition or not. Just because a guy once did something doesn't mean they are going to do it at the NFL. For example, Painter held in college yet was never asked to do it here.

Painter never held because we use our punter to hold, and always have.

Anyways, this is a lot of back and forth about a long snapper. It's no big. I just hope the best man gets the job, and if that's Justin Snow, even better.

We got T.Y. Hilton to contribute in the return game. Karim also has three running backs ahead of him. Granted, its very possible that he beats out Delone Carter or Donald Brown or the Colts decide to go with four running backs, but for now he's probably on the outside looking in.

As for Addison, I don't see how an UDFA from last year with 6 tackles in the season who is going to be asked to move to a new position is not a potential cut.

Karim has been returning kicks in the NFL with success. That's why I'll say that i'd trust him more than Hilton or anyone else on the team at this point. I'm sure T.Y. can step in, but I have to imagine the Colts picked up Karim for the return game. They certainly didn't improve the quality of our backs.

To my understanding, Addison played DE last year and will play DE this year. So I don't understand the part where he's going to be changing positions. He was behind Robert Mathis and Jamaal Anderson on LE. With Anderson gone, Mathis moving to LOLB, he's the only one left from that side from last year. Having 6 tackles being 3rd on the depth chart is pretty good in my opinion lol. I liked what I saw from Addison. They'll compete, it's just my opinion that I don't think Addison should be cut.

The funny thing, to me, is that you bring up AJ and Muir. Problem is, those guys would be depth at best on another roster. If I recall, both were pulled from practice squads. While that defense did much better at stopping the run, those guys were the furthest thing from a force in the middle. The point I am making is that, if we had to quality (and yes, having two Ngatas (or even one) is a stretch) NTs operating in the 4-3 would provide a heckuva lot more in the middle than Muir (or AJ) plus Nevis.

In any case, if you have one guy that can clog and take a double team, and the other that can bullrush his one on one matchup into the QB, you'd still have a pretty solid 4-3. The problem for the Colts is they have yet to have any quality in the middle. The times they have, which have been short lived, were with Simon and Booger. We had a good year with each, but the following years had injuries (Booger) and laziness (Simon). In any case, if one of our two guys can take his double team and hold up the line, and other guy gets a 1 on 1 against a lineman. If he can over power that guy, he SHOULD be able to collapse the pocket. QB can't step up, and pressure should be coming from the sides. In any case, the NT/UT isn't necessarily going anywhere, but it isn't the holy grail either.

Karim has been returning kicks in the NFL with success. That's why I'll say that i'd trust him more than Hilton or anyone else on the team at this point. I'm sure T.Y. can step in, but I have to imagine the Colts picked up Karim for the return game. They certainly didn't improve the quality of our backs.

To my understanding, Addison played DE last year and will play DE this year. So I don't understand the part where he's going to be changing positions. He was behind Robert Mathis and Jamaal Anderson on LE. With Anderson gone, Mathis moving to LOLB, he's the only one left from that side from last year. Having 6 tackles being 3rd on the depth chart is pretty good in my opinion lol. I liked what I saw from Addison. They'll compete, it's just my opinion that I don't think Addison should be cut.

At 6' 3" and 250 lbs Addison is about 30-40 lbs too small to play defensive end in the 3-4. It's much more likely that he'll have to learn to play OLB.

78 players currently on the Colts roster

this in no way reflects any facts of what will happen just my opinion of the Cuts that will be made

1-Ollie Ogbu-Defensive Tackle

2-Justin Snow-Tight End/Long Snapper

3-Brandon Pegeuse-Defensive End

4-Brandon King-Corner

5-James Aiono-Defensive End

6-Lutrus Scott-Linebacker

7-Matt Overten-Linebacker

8-Brody Eldridge-Tight End

9-Quan Cosby.Wide Receiver

10-Brian Stahovich-Punter

11-Jeff Linkenbach-Tackle

12-Jake Kirkpatrick-Center

13-Terrance Johnson-Corner

14-Gronkowski-Fullback

15-Jason Foster-Tackle

16-Chris Galippo-Linebacker

17-Deji Karim-Running Back

18-Mike Tepper-Tackle

19-Antonio Johnson-Defensive Tackle

20-Ricardo Matthews-Defensive Tackle

21-Kevin Eagan-Linebacker

22-Jeremy Ross-Wide Receiver

23-Steven Baker-Tackle

24-Trevor Vittatoe-Quarterback

25-Mario Addison

Thoughts?

wont be cut

wont be cut

Brandon King and a second Punter wont get cut? are you kidding me? Gallipo Ill give ya might not be cut but two back surgeries is to much for me to hang on to him when we have plenty of other linebackers without those type of injury concerns

Brandon King and a second Punter wont get cut? are you kidding me? Gallipo Ill give ya might not be cut but two back surgeries is to much for me to hang on to him when we have plenty of other linebackers without those type of injury concerns

if you didnt know Mcafee is our kicker of the future and we cant have a kicker, punting too. this punter is really good imo and wiuld be dumb to let go plus hes gotta be cheap. King wont be cut beacuse of the lack of depth at corner

if you didnt know Mcafee is our kicker of the future and we cant have a kicker, punting too. this punter is really good imo and wiuld be dumb to let go plus hes gotta be cheap. King wont be cut beacuse of the lack of depth at corner

depth at a position is one thing having quality depth at a position is much better