Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are The Colts Going To Let Another Backup Qb Work With The 1St String Offense?

ReMeDy

Painter had Garcon and Collie, among others, so I want to see what Nate Davis (or god knows who else) can do with the 1st string offense. Do you think the Colts will let them get a shot with 1st string? Nothing about Curtis Painter impressed me today. His first throw was an int, and the Garcon catch was good, but that was Garcon making the most out of a bad throw imho. I was hoping other Colts fans familiar in preseason Colts protocol would know.

Nate Davis has said he agreed to a two-year deal, so unless the Colts cut him, he should survive past the preseason barring any injuries and atrocious game-playing. The days of Colts having two QB's on their roster should be over, so I say give Nate Davis a legitimate preseason shot with the 1st string.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/7/26/2294509/colts-sign-former-ball-state-quarterback-nate-davis-to-two-year-deal

All of this will be moot when Peyton returns in a week.

Given recent health issues in the last few years, his age and Murphy's Law, we need to face facts people. Peyton will most likely miss games over the next/last 5 years of his career. If any of these games are of the late season division or playoff variety, 1 game out means death to our season without a viable back-up.

There is a difference between having a great back-up, a good back-up and a turd on a stick.

At this time we sport the later.

Given recent health issues in the last few years, his age and Murphy's Law, we need to face facts people. Peyton will most likely miss games over the next/last 5 years of his career. If any of these games are of the late season division or playoff variety, 1 game out means death to our season without a viable back-up.

There is a difference between having a great back-up, a good back-up and a turd on a stick.

At this time we sport the later.

I'm actually hoping we draft somebody in the next year or so to be the real backup/future starter because Curtis Painter has been consistently showing he is not the answer.

Clearly, the Colts intend to keep rolling the dice with Manning as the only viable option at QB. Unless of course, Painter is doing the best rope-a-dope since the Ali original. We'll keep getting more of the same until his replacement is found. The way the team moves Frank Reich around, heck he might have a shot to be backup over the next two years.

i say put nate davis in and use him for special downs,and back up he didnt pass that well last night but he was with the 3rd string,he did show alot of speed getting out of the pocket tho....it would be nice to have a qb that can move around alot and make plays to back up manning

Clearly, the Colts intend to keep rolling the dice with Manning as the only viable option at QB. Unless of course, Painter is doing the best rope-a-dope since the Ali original. We'll keep getting more of the same until his replacement is found. The way the team moves Frank Reich around, heck he might have a shot to be backup over the next two years.

That is one of the things that frustrates me a little. When are we going out to get the air apparent to Manning? The Patriots stepped up this year and took Mallet, which I think was a wonderful move on their part.

When does the Colts organization begin to make this a priority? It is painfull to watch Curtis Painter play the position, even in pre-season. Just painfull.

Painter had Garcon and Collie, among others, so I want to see what Nate Davis (or god knows who else) can do with the 1st string offense. Do you think the Colts will let them get a shot with 1st string? Nothing about Curtis Painter impressed me today. His first throw was an int, and the Garcon catch was good, but that was Garcon making the most out of a bad throw imho. I was hoping other Colts fans familiar in preseason Colts protocol would know.

Nate Davis has said he agreed to a two-year deal, so unless the Colts cut him, he should survive past the preseason barring any injuries and atrocious game-playing. The days of Colts having two QB's on their roster should be over, so I say give Nate Davis a legitimate preseason shot with the 1st string.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/7/26/2294509/colts-sign-former-ball-state-quarterback-nate-davis-to-two-year-deal

Im sorry but this is stupid, i knew someone was gonna make a thread like this. If you havent noticed all QB's dont make every pass and granted that this was the 1st preseason game after just a couple weeks with the starters. Painter didnt do bad at all he was 3/6 for 55yds and 1INT... Also that pass he threw to garcon was PERFECT! the corner was all over Garcon yet he still managed to get the ball in there... I think ppl are more ticked that they didnt get to see more of painter than they wanted to.

That is one of the things that frustrates me a little. When are we going out to get the air apparent to Manning? The Patriots stepped up this year and took Mallet, which I think was a wonderful move on their part.

When does the Colts organization begin to make this a priority? It is painfull to watch Curtis Painter play the position, even in pre-season. Just painfull.

I was just sayin' over in the other thread......the question is what will a Colt QB heir even look like. The offense has been built around Manning for years, that's reality, which is a unique situation because he's a unique talent. Just how the Colts have chosen to skin the cat. Moving closer to the five years from now time frame, I'd expect the team to start acquiring players that will play to whatever strengths they have then. I'd be surprised if the Colts continue with the same system after Manning retires. Yes, it's a QB driven league but I'm not going to hold my breath expecting another Manning to come along = probability for different look/approach.

I was just sayin' over in the other thread......the question is what will a Colt QB heir even look like. The offense has been built around Manning for years, that's reality, which is a unique situation because he's a unique talent. Just how the Colts have chosen to skin the cat. Moving closer to the five years from now time frame, I'd expect the team to start acquiring players that will play to whatever strengths they have then. I'd be surprised if the Colts continue with the same system after Manning retires. Yes, it's a QB driven league but I'm not going to hold my breath expecting another Manning to come along = probability for different look/approach.

Tbh if it wasnt for the coaches manning was around he wouldnt be who he was today, though his work ethic had a lot to do with it. I think if the colts Draft a Very good 1st round QB and have a coach just like tom moore to guide him then you have your Franchise QB right there.

Fantastic post and a perfect assessment I might add. I can definately see your point, you do have a unique situation when you have a system built around one player.

To your point as we move away from the Manning error in the next five years it will be interesting to see how the team changes. I just do not see at this point any QB's coming out of college, as the prototypical pocket passer. Mallet was the exception and I think the Patriots did well to seize the moment an take him. He will have several years under Brady's tutelage before being unleashed on the NFL.

I think this helped Aron Rodgers situation tremedously, to have played behind Bret Favre for several years.

Tbh if it wasnt for the coaches manning was around he wouldnt be who he was today, though his work ethic had a lot to do with it. I think if the colts Draft a Very good 1st round QB and have a coach just like tom moore to guide him then you have your Franchise QB right there.

Manning put it well when he was coming out of college (paraphrasing), "I want to be a Colt and if you don't draft me I'll go to a rival and beat you for years....".

With the exception of Jim Harbaugh, there were a lot of dark years at QB during the twenty odd year Bert Jones/Peyton Manning bridge.

Life will go on after Manning, but I doubt there will be another Manning. We're gonna appreciate him all the more once his days here are at an end. But......I'd be cool with another Harbaugh or Jones under center along with some of the talent that surrounded them. Those were good days, too. In the years ahead maybe the team returns to Randy McMillan type days of being near the top of the league in rushing in order to help a less-than-Manning QB situation. Who knows. It'll be interesting to see.

Id just be happy if they got a QB who wouldnt lose the games.

Painter isnt the answer. He gets noticeably "jumpy" when the pressure gets close...maybe flashbacks?

It seems pressure for Painter is about 2 yards further away than pressure to any other QB. This is his 3rd year. He should be doing better at the very least with the pressure issue than he is by this time.

No I dont like him...cant say I like the others either, but I saw Orlovsky hang in there with a nice pass (that ended up doing nothing) with pressure right in his face.

I dont know why they dont just sign a good vet as a backup to hang around for a couple years so that in the off chance Manning DOES miss a game, they still have a fighting chance and dont have to run out mid-season and get a guy who knows nothing of the Colts offense and was so good no-one else picked him up before the season started.

The Sorginator is still available isnt he? lol!

Id just be happy if they got a QB who wouldnt lose the games.

The Sorginator is still available isnt he? lol!

haha.....but I'll tell you what I'd take him in a heartbeat over anyone in camp right now not named Manning. Only 30yo and not very long removed from a system he knows like the back of his hand. Let's hope we don't have to find out how close to reality that might be, haha. Who knows, maybe he'd turn out to be another Chris Chandler, who was in the league for 10 yrs before coming into his most productive time with the Falcons for a five year stretch!

"heir" - google is your friend. :)

Our problem isn't our back up QB it's our offensive game plan. It's relys on accuracy, something backup QBs can't handle. Many QBs in the league can't handle it. It comes down to Peyton 100%. As Peyton goes, so do the Colts. pray for health lol