Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

saleh

OLD FAN MAN

bill cower says robert saleh is a very good defensive coordinator , if the colts fire bradley would saleh be a good choice to replace him? should the colts try to get saleh now before he gets away? would his system fit with the colts current talent? would ballard like his style of defense? I dont know anything about him, just asking. there is reports that he sometimes wears a flag of lebanon on his clothing is that an issue? he is supposed to have an attack style aggressive style defense, is that true?

Probably would be a good defensive coordinator.

Ballard wont hire him though. He is too aggressive.

Ballard likes soft man coverage and cover 3 coordinators. If you don’t play bend and break style you don’t even have a shot to be the Colts D Coordinator.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Ballard likes soft man coverage and cover 3 coordinators. If you don’t play bend and break style you don’t even have a shot to be the Colts D Coordinator.

too bad I for one would like to see an aggressive defense that can disrupt offenses. I hope ballard changes 

• Like 2

He was a good DC before he got hired as HC of the Jets. The Jets have had one of the best defenses in the league the past couple of seasons despite having a terrible offense.

He actually comes from the Gus Bradley coaching tree, so there's a lot of philosophical similarities. Based on that, he'd also very much fit what CB wants to run on defense. Here's an excerpt of an article that gives a great breakdown of Saleh's scheme/approach:

There aren’t many bells and whistles to Saleh’s scheme. His excellence as a coach is less about wonky play designs and more about his week-to-week game planning. He sticks to what his side does best, while exposing holes in the opposing offense’s makeup. He finds weaknesses and attacks them… and attacks them… and attacks them some more.

Once he’s hit on what works, he doesn’t overthink things. He doubles down. There’s no let-up. He’s not showing off his schematic acumen down in and down out. He’s running what works, to the point of exhaustion. That’s smart coaching.

Saleh wants to play with four down linemen, rarely blitz, and to sink back into only a handful of coverages. He’s betting on players, not plays; he relies on a core group of concepts dressed up in a couple of different ways, and trusts players to react intuitively in coverage.

Source: https://www.readoptional.com/p/this-is-robert-salehs-moment

Sounds VERY much like Gus' approach, but his success may be more in how he gameplans from week to week. It's also possible that his successes in SF and NY are partially due to having talented defensive rosters.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

bill cower says robert saleh is a very good defensive coordinator , if the colts fire bradley would saleh be a good choice to replace him? should the colts try to get saleh now before he gets away? would his system fit with the colts current talent? would ballard like his style of defense? I dont know anything about him, just asking. there is reports that he sometimes wears a flag of lebanon on his clothing is that an issue? he is supposed to have an attack style aggressive style defense, is that true?

Didn't Saleh learn under Bradley??

4 hours ago, Bravo said:

Salah runs basically the same defense Gus does. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

Very similar to what the Colts run. I would say far from aggressive

10 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Then looks like we have our next DC!

Then why did you say he was too aggressive?  It seemed like you knew all about his style of defense.   Or was it a troll post because you don't actually know anything about Salahs defense?

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Then why did you say he was too aggressive?  It seemed like you knew all about his style of defense.   Or was it a troll post because you don't actually know anything about Salahs defense?

I don’t know anything about Salahs defense. But you sir, have told me everything I needed to hear. He is Ballards guy.

Looked up more about him just now.

Rotating defensive line

low blitz rate

cover 3/4

Reduced big plays

he is PERFECT.

4 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I don’t know anything about Salahs defense. But you sir, have told me everything I needed to hear. He is Ballards guy.

Looked up more about him just now.

Rotating defensive line

low blitz rate

cover 3/4

Reduced big plays

he is PERFECT.

So you were trolling.  Got it

5 hours ago, Bravo said:

Thats because Ballard is an *.

Now I’m not defending Gus by any means, and would like a new DC.  But losing Brents, Buckner, Lewis, Ebukam isn’t helping this defense.  I do like Womack so far.

Also would switching to a true 4-3 defense help us?  Didn’t we use 3 linebackers with Flus when Leonard was having his All Pro season?