Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Jags post game

GoColts8818

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

Andy just arrived last year. He’s not an Indy guy and hasn't lived through the full revolving door of QBs.  If I were new to the situation, I might be for letting Flacco play, too.

No, if Richardson is healthy, he needs to play.  The organization has to come to a resolution on Richardson and Ballard.   

I don't understand how anyone who has been following the Colts since 2019 can talk about Flacco being the QB moving forward.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I think it does explain the lack of pass rush. How does the DL affect the QB if he's throwing the ball in 2.35 seconds? Yeah, there were some situations where the pass rush could have done better, but in general, the Jags quick passed on us, and nullified the pass rush. Which is exactly how you beat this defense. And you're right, it is inexcusable. 

Also, Steichen chose to keep Bradley in 2024. So, Ballard and Steichen like him for some reason.

The rest of what you say, I fully agree with.

SS is a company guy. He has no choice but to defend Gus if that's what Ballard wants him to do. Make no mistake, this is a BALLARD problem NOT SS who wasn't even here when Gus was hired.

5 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

SS is a company guy. He has no choice but to defend Gus if that's what Ballard wants him to do. Make no mistake, this is a BALLARD problem NOT SS who wasn't even here when Gus was hired.

He’s the head coach if he really didn’t want Gus then Gus wouldn’t be here or Shane wouldn’t have taken the job if he was being forced to take a coach he really didn’t want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s the head coach if he really didn’t want Gus then Gus wouldn’t be here or Shane wouldn’t have taken the job if he was being forced to take a coach he really didn’t want.

If you think SS can fire Gus without Ballard's approval, you don't have a clue how Ballard and the NFL works. Ballard just drafted 3 years of players for a Gus system 

39 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Well if you like one dimension football ,Flacco is your guy. Also, that fumble of his at the end of first half was huge. It was at minimum a 3 pt swing. Nobody seems to be talking about that.

No one's talking about it because it's an irrelevance to why we lost or how Flacco played in the grander scheme of things. He was the reason we had any sniff of a chance at the end

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

If you think SS can fire Gus without Ballard's approval, you don't have a clue how Ballard and the NFL works. Ballard just drafted 3 years of players for a Gus system 

I don’t think I am the one who doesn’t have a clue here but think what you want.

6 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Of course Ballard has to agree.  But dont  tell me Steichen can’t walk into Ballards office and say a change needs to be made. Ballard is even a bigger ego maniac then I thought if Steichen has no say.

3 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

No one's talking about it because it's an irrelevance to why we lost or how Flacco played in the grander scheme of things. He was the reason we had any sniff of a chance at the end

False. Pierce is the reason . We gifted the Jags 3 pts ...and you do realize they won by 3 pts....right?

6 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Maybe jags don’t get up 14 pts and colts don’t have to come back if AR played. Flacco had one good quarter and that was because we were down 14.  We might have had a better run game with AR. Using more clock and keeping the defense off the field.

8 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

It did matter. Jags won by 3. If colts had scored a FG there that’s a six point swing and we win by 3.

I gave it the 24 hour rule before writing this:

Attended the game and had great seats in the 200 level on the Colt’s side surrounded by a Sea of Blue. By the way, the stadium felt as empty as I’m sure it looked on TV.

I have been to this game for all 10 losses and had extremely low confidence as did most of the prognosticators in the NFL and this forum that we would win the game. 

I leaned over to my son as the game was about to begin and I told him to look at the 8 players in street clothes with their back to us and see if he could name them. He started by saying, DBuck, Kwity, Kenny, Tyquan, Samson, Kelly, AR, JT.
It was like a preseason game and we had decided to not play the starters. He then said, Next Man Up! 

It was the most entertaining game we have seen in this series of Horror shows, with most of the replacements performing well.

3 plays stood out to me and I’m certain everyone on here could pick 3 different ones. The first was the sack fumble with seconds left in the first half leading to a give away 3 points.

The missed tackle (s) - Mainly EJ Speed, and of course there were multiple on both Bigby’s TD runs. Bad angles, missed tackles, getting trucked and carried into the end zone. 

And finally, Rigo boomed a punt that outkicked his coverage and then to see Ogletree, Mo and Kylen Granson attempt to close off the sideline was a travesty. Please go back and watch that bungling side show from our TIGHT ENDS. 

One other note, when Fries went down and to see how Q stayed by him the entire time holding his hand and the entire team surrounding him was amazing. Will, you were awesome this year!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Attended the game and had great seats in the 200 level on the Colt’s side surrounded by a Sea of Blue. By the way, the stadium felt as empty as I’m sure it looked on TV.

I have been to this game for all 10 losses and had extremely low confidence as did most of the prognosticators in the NFL and this forum that we would win the game. 

I leaned over to my son as the game was about to begin and I told him to look at the 8 players in street clothes with their back to us and see if he could name them. He started by saying, DBuck, Kwity, Kenny, Tyquan, Samson, Kelly, AR, JT.
It was like a preseason game and we had decided to not play the starters. He then said, Next Man Up! 

It was the most entertaining game we have seen in this series of Horror shows, with most of the replacements performing well.

3 plays stood out to me and I’m certain everyone on here could pick 3 different ones. The first was the sack fumble with seconds left in the first half leading to a give away 3 points.

The missed tackle (s) - Mainly EJ Speed, and of course there were multiple on both Bigby’s TD runs. Bad angles, missed tackles, getting trucked and carried into the end zone. 

And finally, Rigo boomed a punt that outkicked his coverage and then to see Ogletree, Mo and Kylen Granson attempt to close off the sideline was a travesty. Please go back and watch that bungling side show from our TIGHT ENDS. 

One other note, when Fries went down and to see how Q stayed by him the entire time holding his hand and the entire team surrounding him was amazing. Will, you were awesome this year!

Your son is wise. It was like a preseason game.

16 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

I wouldn’t say it’s irrelevant.  They lost by three and that gave the Jags three when it looked like the Colts were going to get three.  That’s a pretty huge shift.  Shouldn’t over shadow the defensive performance at all but it is most definitely not irrelevant.  

I  personally dont think we even had the talent to play cover 3 or quarters (cover 4)    . the colts get abused in the flats nonstop that is the weakness of cover 3 .   when you add to the fact they cant tackle in space it make the problem worse .  WE are taking our corners and running them deep and having  ss  and line backers covering every thing mid range .   We dont have a true FS  either for it  and putting linebackers and safety covering wrs its not a good look .   its catching bad coverage linebackers in space who go to miss the tackle and give up first downs .  

Even on that bomb pass why is flowers biting on the short route when he needs to be playing deep as cross is coming up to cover the short route . Our players cant even keep assignments in the scheme that is supposedly plug and play .

37 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Reich hired Bradley. The Colts interviewed a ton of candidates, and then Bradley, who had previously worked with Reich in San Diego, was hired.

Steichen replaced Reich. He chose to keep Bradley in 2023. Then he chose to keep him in 2024. Bradley also worked with Steichen in San Diego.

Yes, Ballard is a part of the Bradley decision. But why everyone tries to put this entirely on Ballard while sanitizing the head coaches who have previous ties with him is beyond me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Of course Ballard has to agree.  But dont  tell me Steichen can’t walk into Ballards office and say a change needs to be made. Ballard is even a bigger ego maniac then I thought if Steichen has no say.

How often does the GM fire the headcoach(Reich) and keep the defensive coach(Gus) and then hire a new coach(SS) to work with that D coach whether he likes him or not? Think about that...Extremely rare! It's like Parcell's said," if you want me to cook dinner, you haveto let me do the grocery shopping"...................... SS had no choice!

Ballard said this is your D coach and we dont care whether you like him or not.

Why are people shocked. Look at Ballard's track record, He tried to hire that Clown from New England ,who turned him down and then followed that up with Reich who was clueless and ruined our team wanting his QB and then went on to ruin the Panthers wanting his QB. It's amazing how Ballard has dodged any responsibility in all those train wrecks that he was in charge of. BTW, where is Ballard's head coaches today? Does Josh even coach anymore . I know Frank doesn't....or is Ballard the problem????????????

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I wouldn’t say it’s irrelevant.  They lost by three and that gave the Jags three when it looked like the Colts were going to get three.  That’s a pretty huge shift.  Shouldn’t over shadow the defensive performance at all but it is most definitely not irrelevant.  

Maybe irrelevant was too strong a term, but a  QB no matter what their level can make mistakes like this, it's seen week in and week out and shouldn't be used reason why we lost the game. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Reich hired Bradley. The Colts interviewed a ton of candidates, and then Bradley, who had previously worked with Reich in San Diego, was hired.

Steichen replaced Reich. He chose to keep Bradley in 2023. Then he chose to keep him in 2024. Bradley also worked with Steichen in San Diego.

Yes, Ballard is a part of the Bradley decision. But why everyone tries to put this entirely on Ballard while sanitizing the head coaches who have previous ties with him is beyond me. 

Some people have tunnel vision for Ballard right now.  I am NOT saying Ballard is blameless or that he might not even be the biggest problem, but that doesn’t mean he is solely to blame for everything bad that happens to the Colts.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It did matter. Jags won by 3. If colts had scored a FG there that’s a six point swing and we win by 3.

The game wouldn't have played out the same in that case so there's no point assigning the same score......what we can make a safe assumption about is that our defence would have still coughed up enough points for the Jags to win. 

5 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Maybe irrelevant was too strong a term, but a  QB no matter what their level can make mistakes like this, it's seen week in and week out and shouldn't be used reason why we lost the game. 

Well when you lose by three and his fumble directly leads to three points when he was in position to at least give you a chance at three it’s a factor.  As I stated in my previous post it shouldn’t over shadow the defense yesterday but you can’t dismiss it just like people shouldn’t dismiss what happened with the defense yesterday because of the fumble.  You can and normally do lose a game for multiple reasons.  

14 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Excellent post. We almost came back, Joe tried. 

20 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

False. Pierce is the reason . We gifted the Jags 3 pts ...and you do realize they won by 3 pts....right?

Who thrown it to Pierce?.......and yes I realise they won by 3 but your just basing that on the score being the same and the game playing out the same way had we gone in 3 up......the way they played yesterday our defence would have given up the points for the Jags win regardless of if we went in ahead by 3 at half time. That Flacco fumble is way down on the list of reasons we lost 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Some people have tunnel vision for Ballard right now.  I am NOT saying Ballard is blameless or that he might not even be the biggest problem, but that doesn’t mean he is solely to blame for everything bad that happens to the Colts.  

Now I understand why you think the way you do. It explains our differences. In my world and the real world, THE GM IS ABSOLUTELY RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING THAT GOES GOOD AND BAD AS GM OF AN NFL TEAM! That will never change. That's how the real world works and why he owns the title of GM and is the boss and I would bet money, Ballard will even tell you that and I know Irsay would.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well when you lose by three and his fumble directly leads to three points when he was in position to at least give you a chance at three it’s a factor.  As I stated in my previous post it shouldn’t over shadow the defense yesterday but you can’t dismiss it just like people shouldn’t dismiss what happened with the defense yesterday because of the fumble.  You can and normally do lose a game for multiple reasons.  

Whilst I take your point, that's just being retrospective and assuming the game plays out the same way if we lead by 3 at half time.......we could have gone on to lose by 14 in that scenario and no one cares that Flacco lead us on a field goal drive before the half. His fumble directly lead to them getting 3 points yes but it's way down on the reasons we lost. Btw I'm all for AR coming straight back in when he's healthy that's not my point in this.

12 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Who thrown it to Pierce?.......and yes I realise they won by 3 but your just basing that on the score being the same and the game playing out the same way had we gone in 3 up......the way they played yesterday our defence would have given up the points for the Jags win regardless of if we went in ahead by 3 at half time. That Flacco fumble is way down on the list of reasons we lost 

Right...but if Gay missed a FG,you'd be all over that. And I shudder to think if AR fumbled in that situation..yikes! I really think you negative Nancies are more disappointed after a win than a loss.

8 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Now I understand why you think the way you do. It explains our differences. In my world and the real world, THE GM IS ABSOLUTELY RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING THAT GOES GOOD AND BAD AS GM OF AN NFL TEAM! That will never change. That's how the real world works and why he owns the title of GM and is the boss and I would bet money, Ballard will even tell you that and I know Irsay would.

The question is not whether Ballard is responsible for the state of the team. He is, and no one would argue otherwise.

The question is whether Ballard has mandated that Gus Bradley remain as the defensive coordinator of the Colts. You seem to think that you know for a certainty that this is Ballard's decision, and Steichen has no say in the matter. That seems unfounded, at best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

The question is not whether Ballard is responsible for the state of the team. He is, and no one would argue otherwise.

The question is whether Ballard has mandated that Gus Bradley remain as the defensive coordinator of the Colts. You seem to think that you know for a certainty that this is Ballard's decision, and Steichen has no say in the matter. That seems unfounded, at best.

Unfounded? Gus Bradley was kept as the D coach when the headcoach was fired , before SS was even hired. How much more proof do you need. Did SS somehow sign off on that even though he wasn't the headcoach or even contacted yet?

Give me examples of headcoaches that were fired and the D coach was kept before hiring a new coach. ..Extremely rare

Usually the D coach is fired and the headcoach is kept to hire the guy he wants to coach his defense or they both get fired.

10 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Right...but if Gay missed a FG,you'd be all over that. And I shudder to think if AR fumbled in that situation..yikes! I really think you negative Nancies are more disappointed after a win than a loss.

Why are you now bringing Gay and AR into this like you are aware of what my opinion about either of them is?....... Personally I think AR should come straight back into the team when he's healthy but I can just recognise Flacco did a good job in his place. And if Gay had missed a field goal at the end of the half I'd be saying the same thing, it wasn't that that cost us the game!! And also how is it negative recognising the obvious fact that our defense was to blame for the loss and not a fumble by Flacco that could have given us a 3 point lead that defence would never have defended the way they played anyway?

5 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Unfounded? Gus Bradley was kept as the D coach when the headcoach was fired , before SS was even hired. How much more proof do you need. Did SS somehow sign off on that even though he wasn't the headcoach or even contacted yet?

Give me examples of headcoaches that were fired and the D coach was kept before hiring a new coach. ..Extremely rare

Usually the D coach is fired and the headcoach is kept to hire the guy he wants to coach his defense or they both get fired.

Shane was hired late. They have a history. It was the right decision to keep him. What wasn’t the right decision was to keep him after the season ended. 

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Well if you like one dimension football ,Flacco is your guy. Also, that fumble of his at the end of first half was huge. It was at minimum a 3 pt swing. Nobody seems to be talking about that.

If you want a qb that can make all the throws….accurately…..Flacco is your guy. Apparently winning isn’t the main focal point this season so AR is our guy. Gotta get those reps in!

27 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

If you want a qb that can make all the throws….accurately…..Flacco is your guy. Apparently winning isn’t the main focal point this season so AR is our guy. Gotta get those reps in!

The argument Flacco will win more games is silly. We scored 34 and still lost. There is no evidence that is the case.

51 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do any of you think colts scored to quick on that final Pierce TD? 

That  thought occurred to me during the game that we left too much time, but you have to score when you can.

If you were able to score at will, you wouldn't be trailing at that point of the game.

• Like 1