Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next Defensive Coordinator

IndyColtsFan411

Age has nothing to do with it.

I've always liked a more aggressive 4-3/4-2-5 Cover 2 on the back end with Man coverages underneath mixed in to keep Offenses guessing.  With our current personnel being pure zone defenders...it would take draft or two and Free Agency to make a major switch to anything that plays Man.

• Like 2

Packers fans can tell me about Joe Barry that was their DC from 2021-23. They were always in the Top 12-15 range in terms of points per game as opposed to the Colts.

But the year 2021, the Colts were on par because we ran the ball well and possessed it well. Not so much in 2022, and 2023 was a bit of defensive regression for decent possession of the ball from Bradley’s unit.

Brandon Staley is another name but I’d prefer Jon Barry for his units to generate pressure. Otherwise we’d have to look at college like Packers getting the Boston College HC.

I’m a fan of Jim Leonhard that was a heck of a defensive coach / DC at Wisconsin, and is now a DB coach with Broncos. Dave Merritt, the Chiefs DB coach has done an outstanding job there and was interviewed for DC by 49ers.

My pick would be Jim Leonhard or Dave Merritt.

• Like 4

If I'm guessing I think the zone thing we usually gravitate towards is because of boss man Jim. He always talks about those 70's Steelers teams with the cover 2.

Yes we had a short stint with the 3-4 in the Pags days but we seem to always gravitate towards the 4-3 zone that doesn't move around much.

If it happens during the season, it would be a major upheaval. It may have a one or two game bump, but whoever is brought in want to bring his own coaches down the line. I agree they should be BRADLEY‘s last season but I get a feeling no matter how bad it gets. They’re not gonna fire them until the season is over then you can work on getting the guy in here.

We need a creative defensive coordinator with a deeper understanding of the NFL pro game. I'm against using boiler-plate defensive strategies because a pro offense will know how to take advantage of those structural weaknesses. In short, you have to instill indecisiveness in the offense, and execute the defense more effectively. Currently, that's not the Colts.

I think I would trust Shane to hire a really good DC. I am still surprised Shane didn’t let Bradley go after last season. I understand keeping him when he was hired. But not after last season.  What is concerning is Shane would have a say. If Shane wanted a new DC it would have happened after the season. So I am not sure why he is still here. You can’t line up 5 yards past the first down marker when a team only needs 3 yards. Colts third down stops are non existent. I think Gus is a good coach. But his scheme does not work anymore. 

One reason it doesn’t work is QB are not statues anymore. You can’t just rely on a four man rush anymore.