Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you see any progress with Richardson?

Smonroe

15 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

QB are constantly working on mechanics. What do you think happens when they can’t do anything for five months.

But Richardson did have some opportunity to work on his mechanics during the offseason. There was a story heading into training camp that said Richardson had improved greatly by working with a private quarterback coach four days a week to improve his throwing motion and the consistency of his passes. 

Trainer: Colts QB Anthony Richardson looks ‘better than he’s ever looked’

Published Jul. 25, 2024 10:50 a.m. ET

As Colts quarterback Anthony Richardson returns for 2024, could he make a massive Year 2 leap?

Richardson "looks better than he's ever looked" coming out of the offseason, according to one of his trainers, private quarterback coach Will Hewlett of CORTX Sports Performance. As Richardson has built his right shoulder back up from injury, he's increased the spin rate on his throws, allowing passes to travel more efficiently and better cut through wind in possible bad weather games. The increased spin rate also means potentially easier balls to catch for his teammates. 

The Colts start training camp on Thursday, and Richardson isn't expected to have any limitations, according to general manager Chris Ballard. The former No. 4 overall pick was held out of the final day of mandatory minicamp in June due to soreness in his surgically repaired throwing shoulder. His rookie season ended in just 173 snaps after suffering an AC joint sprain against the Tennessee Titans. 

"He's just tightened things up in a really good way," Hewlett told FOX Sports. "He had a ball that hit an RPM [revolutions per minute] of like the high 700s. The NFL standard is 600, so if you're over 600, you're safe. You're in a good spot. … So it jumped over 150 RPMs [above that] on certain throws, which is pretty insane actually. So [that's] a really good indicator that things are clicking really, really well for him. And just with his extreme athleticism and gifts that he has, when it's all put together, it looks as good as any quarterback I've ever seen."

While changes to Richardson's throwing motion won't be noticeable to the casual fan, Hewlett said the consistency of his passes has also improved, meaning the variance between his worst and best throws has also shrunk. 

That could pay major dividends for the second-year quarterback and the Colts' passing game. In four games last season, Richardson completed 59.5% of his passes — a rate for the season that would've placed him above just one of the 32 qualified quarterbacks, the Titans' Will Levis (58.4%). 

Richardson threw for 577 yards and three touchdowns against one interception as a rookie. He also had 25 carries for 136 yards and four touchdowns. He became the first quarterback in NFL history to rush for a touchdown in his first three career starts.

"To me, there's no reason why he's not the Comeback Player of the Year," Hewlett said. "There's no reason why he's not in the running for the MVP at the end of the year. And if he puts a full season together, he's going to do things that I think will throw that division upside down. 

"He's special. He's special as a human, as a processor, as an athlete," Hewlett added. "And it's easy to get caught up in the ‘wow' factor that he produces when he dunks a basketball or throwing a football, but he's got so many other great things and qualities about him. I'm just really excited to see him just go out there and play free, play healthy. It's going to be popcorn time."

Through CORTX Sports Performance — which also works with other NFL quarterbacks such as the San Francisco 49ers' Brock Purdy — Richardson threw four days a week ahead of training camp, thrust in various scenarios that mimic games. 

The focus was putting the "final touches" on his throwing and ramping up the volume of his reps.

"If you walked on the field and you didn't know a lot, you'd be like, ‘That dude can throw the ball really, really well,'" Hewlett said. "There's nothing that's going to stand out that would question his ability to complete passes at a consistent level." 

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/trainer-colts-qb-anthony-richardson-looks-better-than-hes-ever-looked

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

But Richardson did have some opportunity to work on his mechanics during the offseason. There was a story heading into training camp that said Richardson had improved greatly by working with a private quarterback coach four days a week to improve his throwing motion and the consistency of his passes. 

Trainer: Colts QB Anthony Richardson looks ‘better than he’s ever looked’

Published Jul. 25, 2024 10:50 a.m. ET

As Colts quarterback Anthony Richardson returns for 2024, could he make a massive Year 2 leap?

Richardson "looks better than he's ever looked" coming out of the offseason, according to one of his trainers, private quarterback coach Will Hewlett of CORTX Sports Performance. As Richardson has built his right shoulder back up from injury, he's increased the spin rate on his throws, allowing passes to travel more efficiently and better cut through wind in possible bad weather games. The increased spin rate also means potentially easier balls to catch for his teammates. 

The Colts start training camp on Thursday, and Richardson isn't expected to have any limitations, according to general manager Chris Ballard. The former No. 4 overall pick was held out of the final day of mandatory minicamp in June due to soreness in his surgically repaired throwing shoulder. His rookie season ended in just 173 snaps after suffering an AC joint sprain against the Tennessee Titans. 

"He's just tightened things up in a really good way," Hewlett told FOX Sports. "He had a ball that hit an RPM [revolutions per minute] of like the high 700s. The NFL standard is 600, so if you're over 600, you're safe. You're in a good spot. … So it jumped over 150 RPMs [above that] on certain throws, which is pretty insane actually. So [that's] a really good indicator that things are clicking really, really well for him. And just with his extreme athleticism and gifts that he has, when it's all put together, it looks as good as any quarterback I've ever seen."

While changes to Richardson's throwing motion won't be noticeable to the casual fan, Hewlett said the consistency of his passes has also improved, meaning the variance between his worst and best throws has also shrunk. 

That could pay major dividends for the second-year quarterback and the Colts' passing game. In four games last season, Richardson completed 59.5% of his passes — a rate for the season that would've placed him above just one of the 32 qualified quarterbacks, the Titans' Will Levis (58.4%). 

Richardson threw for 577 yards and three touchdowns against one interception as a rookie. He also had 25 carries for 136 yards and four touchdowns. He became the first quarterback in NFL history to rush for a touchdown in his first three career starts.

"To me, there's no reason why he's not the Comeback Player of the Year," Hewlett said. "There's no reason why he's not in the running for the MVP at the end of the year. And if he puts a full season together, he's going to do things that I think will throw that division upside down. 

"He's special. He's special as a human, as a processor, as an athlete," Hewlett added. "And it's easy to get caught up in the ‘wow' factor that he produces when he dunks a basketball or throwing a football, but he's got so many other great things and qualities about him. I'm just really excited to see him just go out there and play free, play healthy. It's going to be popcorn time."

Through CORTX Sports Performance — which also works with other NFL quarterbacks such as the San Francisco 49ers' Brock Purdy — Richardson threw four days a week ahead of training camp, thrust in various scenarios that mimic games. 

The focus was putting the "final touches" on his throwing and ramping up the volume of his reps.

"If you walked on the field and you didn't know a lot, you'd be like, ‘That dude can throw the ball really, really well,'" Hewlett said. "There's nothing that's going to stand out that would question his ability to complete passes at a consistent level." 

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/trainer-colts-qb-anthony-richardson-looks-better-than-hes-ever-looked

So far AR is making a foo out of this chump. 

I hope he gets and listens to a 2nd opinion regarding his throwing motion because something appears to be wrong, very wrong.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JackWV said:

Watching Jayden Daniels last night made me have less confidence in AR... 

The 2024 QB class is going to be very good I think. I was in favor of punting last season to get a shot at one of them, but I understand why they took AR when they did. 

On 9/22/2024 at 8:28 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is basically a rookie but we aren't using him right. I love Shane but the last 2 weeks his play calling has me puzzled. We need to use a playbook similar to what the Ravens do with Lamar, AR needs to run more. 

The Colts obviously need AR to run more, but that's not happening for some reason. Maybe it will happen more as the season progresses. 

On a completely unrelated topic, what's one thing that could cause the Colts to give up on the current plan and start over with a new GM? Would another beginning-of-the-season serious injury to Richardson this year make them conclude he's not durable enough for the type of QB he is and that he's unlikely to work out as the franchise QB?  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Josh Allen's first 7 games:

@Ravens: Passing: 6/15 - 74 yards - 0/0 TD/Int - 3 Sacks - Rushing: 4 attempts for 26 yards - 0/0 TD/FUM 

Chargers: Passing: 18/33 - 245 yards - 1/2 TD/Int - 5 Sacks - Rushing: 8 attempts for 32 yards - 0/0 TD/FUM 

@Vikings: Passing: 15/22 - 196 yards - 1/0 TD/Int - 3 Sacks - Rushing: 10 attempts for 39 yards - 2/3 TD/FUM 

@Packers: Passing: 16/33 - 151 yards - 0/2 TD/Int - 7 Sacks - Rushing: 5 attempts for 19 yards - 0/1 TD/FUM 

Titans: Passing: 10/19 - 82 yards - 0/1 TD/Int - 1 Sacks - Rushing: 4 attempts for 19 yards - 1/0 TD/FUM 

@Texans: Passing: 10/17 - 84 yards - 0/0 TD/Int - 2 Sacks - Rushing: 4 attempts for 20 yards - 0/0 TD/FUM 

Jaguars: Passing: 8/19 - 160 yards - 1/0 TD/Int - 0 Sacks - Rushing: 13 attempts for 99 yards - 1/1 TD/FUM 

Total: Passing: 83/158 (52.5%) - 992 yards (6.28 YPA) - 3/5 TD/Int - 21 Sacks - Rushing: 48 attempts for 254 yards (5.29 YPC) - 4/5 TD/Fum

AR's first 7 games:

Jaguars: Passing: 24/37 - 223 yards - 1/1 TD/Int - 4 Sacks - Rushing: 10 attempts for 40 yards - 1/0 TD/FUM 

@Texans: Passing: 6/10 - 56 yards - 0/0 TD/Int - 0 Sacks - Rushing: 3 attempts for 35 yards - 2/0 TD/FUM 

Rams: Passing: 11/25 - 200 yards - 2/0 TD/Int - 2 Sacks - Rushing: 10 attempts for 56 yards - 1/2 TD/FUM 

Titans: Passing: 9/12 - 98 yards - 0/0 TD/Int - 1 Sacks - Rushing: 2 attempts for 5 yards - 0/1 TD/FUM 

Texans: Passing: 9/19 - 212 yards - 2/1 TD/Int - 2 Sacks - Rushing: 6 attempts for 56 yards - 1/0 TD/FUM 

@Packers: Passing: 17/34 - 204 yards - 1/3 TD/Int - 1 Sacks - Rushing: 4 attempts for 37 yards - 0/2 TD/FUM 

Bears: Passing: 10/20 - 167 yards - 0/2 TD/Int - 1 Sacks - Rushing: 8 attempts for 24 yards - 0/0 TD/FUM 

Total: Passing: 86/157 (54.8%) - 1,160 yards (7.39 YPA) - 6/7 TD/Int - 11 Sacks - Rushing: 43 attempts for 253 yards (5.88 YPC)- 5/5 TD/Fum

Not trying to make AR out to be Allen. I just want to point out that Allen had to go through EXACTLY the same thing AR is going through right now and if the Bills had given up they'd have lost out on a franchise QB.

But this was Allen's actual rookie season...coming from a D3 school. 

Regardless of games played, I think it does matter that this is AR's second season in the NFL. He's had the benefit of watching a year's worth of film, two offseasons of coaching, two TCs and preseasons. 

If you compare Allen's second season to how AR has been in his second season, Allen was so much better at that point. 

One of the biggest difference is that, at no point, was Allen throwing INTs on 8% of his PAs, like AR has this year. And that number could actually be higher.

Not trying to cherry-pick a stat, but that is just a staggering INT rate that shouldn't be ignored. Even if you combine it with last year's numbers, his 4.5% career INT rate is still staggering. But how he is playing now is far more indicative of the QB he is right now. And that's a QB who is throwing an INT on 1 out of every 12-13 PAs.

So it might not just be a matter of changing mechanics/developing accuracy, because if AR is also throwing the ball to the other team, there could be other deficiencies in his passing that Allen might not have had.

I do expect this number goes down as the season goes on, but what if it really doesn't? There's no comp for a QB like that.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

The Colts obviously need AR to run more, but that's not happening for some reason. Maybe it will happen more as the season progresses. 

On a completely unrelated topic, what's one thing that could cause the Colts to give up on the current plan and start over with a new GM? Would another beginning-of-the-season serious injury to Richardson this year make them conclude he's not durable enough for the type of QB he is and that he's unlikely to work out as the franchise QB?  

I think the only way Ballard gets fired is, if AR busts this season and we win like 6 or 7 games. Other than that, I think Ballard is safe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

But this was Allen's actual rookie season...coming from a D3 school. 

Regardless of games played, I think it does matter that this is AR's second season in the NFL. He's had the benefit of watching a year's worth of film, two offseasons of coaching, two TCs and preseasons. 

He was rehabing this offseason. Not a lot of work on technique.

AR also only had 2/3rd's of Allen's college snaps and most of that came his last year.

If you compare Allen's second season to how AR has been in his second season, Allen was so much better at that point. 

Sure if you take this as AR's second season there's a disconnect, but I honestly feel like that's a HUGE reach just to paint AR as worse than he is.

One of the biggest difference is that, at no point, was Allen throwing INTs on 8% of his PAs, like AR has this year. And that number could actually be higher.

Not trying to cherry-pick a stat, but that is just a staggering INT rate that shouldn't be ignored. Even if you combine it with last year's numbers, his 4.5% career INT rate is still staggering. But how he is playing now is far more indicative of the QB he is right now. And that's a QB who is throwing an INT on 1 out of every 12-13 PAs.

So it might not just be a matter of developing changing mechanics/developing accuracy, because if AR is also throwing the ball to the other team, there could be other deficiencies in his passing that Allen might not have had.

I do expect this number goes down as the season goes on, but what if it really doesn't? There's no comp for a QB like that.

I'm not defending AR like he's good here. He's been bad this season so far, no doubt about it. But, to me it just looks like he's a little overwhelmed and the game is too fast for him still. He's sailing throws because of bad technique despite throwing from clean pockets. It'll get better with (LOTS) of practice and game reps to slow the game down and solidify his mechanics.

Also to defend him a little, the rest of the team didn't do him any favors the first 2 games. Steichen hasn't really helped him at least until maybe the 4th quarter of the Bears game. His receivers have been dropping A LOT of passes. Through the first two weeks he was the QB with most receivers drops in the league. Where's Pittman? Where're our TEs?

He needs to tighten up his mechanics but that's an offseason thing most likely, at least to really get into it. The game needs to slow down for him which will just take time and reps.

People are disregarding his lack of experience. I don't know of any other QBs who's been drafted top 5 with just a season and a half of college experience?