Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Lombardi on Pat Mcafee

Restinpeacesweetchloe

It was obvious, what Bradley brings to the table, after watching him for an entire season in 2022.

Yet the Colts, when they were hiring new coaches in 2023, elected to retain Gus (along with his entire staff) 

It's foolish to have expected different results, in Steichen's first year, yet alone now, going into year two.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 1959Colts said:

It was obvious, what Bradley brings to the table, after watching him for an entire season in 2022.

Yet the Colts, when they were hiring new coaches in 2023, elected to retain Gus (along with his entire staff) 

It's foolish to have expected different results, in Steichen's first year, yet alone now, going into year two.

I thought it made sense to keep Bradley in 2023. Steichen was hired late in the cycle, and had to put together his offensive staff. He and Bradley also had a history, so I wasn't surprised.

I was highly disappointed that they kept him in 2024, especially with how quickly and assertively Steichen endorsed the decision to keep him. 

But I will say, while I don't think he had a great gameplan in Week 1, he did do some things that he's been mostly hesitant to do in the past, including early blitzes. And we only gave up one big play in the passing game. So maybe he'll dig into his bag more often this year. But my optimism is very muted, because he still did a bunch of things that I think hold the defense back -- mostly Cover 3 with no disguise, soft coverage, etc. 

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

If I remember rumors from that season he was way down colts list. Colts could not get the guys they wanted to come here.

i think Bradley is a good coach but his scheme does not work anymore. You can’t rely on just pass rush anymore when QB are as mobile as they are today. They aren’t statues anymore.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I thought it made sense to keep Bradley in 2023. Steichen was hired late in the cycle, and had to put together his offensive staff. He and Bradley also had a history, so I wasn't surprised.

I was highly disappointed that they kept him in 2024, especially with how quickly and assertively Steichen endorsed the decision to keep him. 

But I will say, while I don't think he had a great gameplan in Week 1, he did do some things that he's been mostly hesitant to do in the past, including early blitzes. And we only gave up one big play in the passing game. So maybe he'll dig into his bag more often this year. But my optimism is very muted, because he still did a bunch of things that I think hold the defense back -- mostly Cover 3 with no disguise, soft coverage, etc. 

I was the opposite in 2023. In fact, I was on this forum ranting, when I heard the rumor the Colts were attaching a condition, that the new HC would have to keep Bradley and his entire staff. Now there is no way to prove that to be the case, but I believe it.

His failure, game after game, to not allow Collins to kill us, along with just watching that awful X clip of the Diggs TD  (like taking candy from a baby) just reinforces my certainty, that Bradley's scheme, is the biggest issue by far of the Colts defense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I was the opposite in 2023. In fact, I was on this forum ranting, when I heard the rumor the Colts were attaching a condition, that the new HC would have to keep Bradley and his entire staff. Now there is no way to prove that to be the case, but I believe it.

His failure, game after game, to not allow Collins to kill us, along with just watching that awful X clip of the Diggs TD  (like taking candy from a baby) just reinforces my certainty, that Bradley's scheme, is the biggest issue by far of the Colts defense.

To be fair Mike was wrong about Collin’s. You can’t double team him. Then diggs or tank kill you. To be fair Collin’s was doubled on the big play and still caught it. The other part about what Lombardi said is true. Steichen is the head coach and he needs to act like a head coach start making some demands.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I didn't want Bradley to begin with, so I don't blame you. Just based on the circumstances -- first time HC with an offensive background, not hired until a month after everyone else so he's behind the eight ball -- it made sense to keep Bradley, even if I don't think he's very good. I'll also admit that I think the 2022 defense had potential to be better than it was, but was undermined by the way the offense played, especially in the first half of the season. 

Either way, we agree on Bradley and the scheme, even if we saw 2023 differently. 

And you're absolutely right about the Diggs TD. If Cross is actually allowed to try to play real coverage, and gets beat, then let's blame the personnel, blame Cross, blame Ballard, etc. But with the defense that was called, Cross had zero chance of covering effectively. The greatest lockdown defender you can imagine wouldn't have been able to do anything in that situation. The Texans are on the 2 yard line, and Cross is lined up 2-3 yards into the end zone. He had no chance, and that's on Bradley. And that's just one example. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If I remember rumors from that season he was way down colts list. Colts could not get the guys they wanted to come here.

i think Bradley is a good coach but his scheme does not work anymore. You can’t rely on just pass rush anymore when QB are as mobile as they are today. They aren’t statues anymore.

I don't believe in 2023 Ballard wanted to get rid of Bradley. and even if he did (but couldn't get other coaches to come) They had a whole year to find someone for 2024. 

It should surprise no one, this year, when we continue to give up so many 3rd (and 4th) down and long conversions.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

...And you're absolutely right about the Diggs TD. If Cross is actually allowed to try to play real coverage, and gets beat, then let's blame the personnel, blame Cross, blame Ballard, etc. But with the defense that was called, Cross had zero chance of covering effectively. The greatest lockdown defender you can imagine wouldn't have been able to do anything in that situation. The Texans are on the 2 yard line, and Cross is lined up 2-3 yards into the end zone. He had no chance, and that's on Bradley. And that's just one example. 

and what is really infuriating, is the fact that it was 4th down

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard isn’t helping Bradley either with the lack of talent in the secondary. 

I believe, with another DC and new scheme, the existing "talent" we have, would look much better.
And I also think, that even with high profile talent, under Gus' schemes, the pass coverage would still struggle.

So often, our DBs and LBs get crossed up, and nobody seems to know who should be covering who.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I don't believe in 2023 Ballard wanted to get rid of Bradley. and even if he did (but couldn't get other coaches to come) They had a whole year to find someone for 2024. 

It should surprise no one, this year, when we continue to give up so many 3rd (and 4th) down and long conversions.

After they kept him 2024, I think you're absolutely right.

But I also think that keeping him in 2024 is just as much on Steichen as it is on Ballard. And the week to week adjustments are primarily on the coaches, not the front office.

SMH

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear. In 22 when they were searching for a new DC they couldn’t get the guys they wanted. They had to settle on Gus.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

I rarely defend Bradley, but today I will in one area...

It is not Gus' fault for the horrendous tackling we witnessed on Sunday. And should that become the norm, this team is looking at a very long, and disappointing season

Seems like tackling is always bad in the first game. I imagine it’s the lack of preseason and not really tackling in TC.

Talent is a part of it..Remember Blackmon could have signed anywhere, nobody grabbed him. We had Cross  and Thomas competing for the other safety job and no other competition was brought in even though Ballard preaches that nonsense all the time. Who was brought in to compete at the corners? rookies! Lbers? Rookies!Swing tackles rookies ..or guys that were already here and couldn't win the position last year. Remember, Ballard admitted he made a mistake last year not addressing the secondary....How was it addressed...It's like groundhog day every year at the end of the season at Ballard press conference. It might actually light a fire under some * if he did actually bring in real competition for these weak spots..BTW, there was plenty to pick from with free agent secondary help too.

It's nonsense when Ballard talks about bringing in players to compete.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear. In 22 when they were searching for a new DC they couldn’t get the guys they wanted. They had to settle on Gus.

Well, if that's the case, then it's even worse. Meaning they have had three years to figure out who should be our DC.

If Ballard (and Steichen) are unable to find a better replacement in todays NFL, then that's on them

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

After they kept him 2024, I think you're absolutely right.

But I also think that keeping him in 2024 is just as much on Steichen as it is on Ballard. And the week to week adjustments are primarily on the coaches, not the front office.

SMH

I'm thinking Ballard has had Irsay going along with Ballard's defense philosophy. By mid-season Steichen and Irsay may have a lot to talk about.

Unfortunately, Gus doesn't have anyone that i can think of on his staff worthy of leading a change.

I wonder what Jeff is doing 🤔.

44 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Its more than relying on the pass rush. You have to hit on your picks on the D line if you are going there early in the draft. I have always said that this is Ballard's biggest failures to date. He has spend tons of draft capital and resources into this line and with average results. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

To be fair Mike was wrong about Collin’s. You can’t double team him. Then diggs or tank kill you. To be fair Collin’s was doubled on the big play and still caught it. The other part about what Lombardi said is true. Steichen is the head coach and he needs to ad a head coach start making some demands.

IRegardless if they double team him or whatever, maybe press him off the line?

But it would be nice, going forward, if we could somehow hold Nico Collins under 100 yards.

Collins is a very good player, but only seems to look superhuman vs the Colts, then comes back down to earth when Houston plays every other team.

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I'm thinking Ballard has had Irsay going along with Ballard's defense philosophy. By mid-season Steichen and Irsay may have a lot to talk about.

Unfortunately, Gus doesn't have anyone that i can think of on his staff worthy of leading a change.

I wonder what Jeff is doing 🤔.

If they decided to say fire Gus and Steichen decided to move on, I am not sure where that would leave  Ballard. This is his scheme of choice and I am not sure what would be the reason for keeping him if Steichen decided on a totally different scheme that demanded a different type of player and skill set. Honestly, I would have zero faith in Ballard to rebuild another defense based on 8 years of drafting on that side of the ball. Lets bring in a guy like Martindale. Of course, the bad thing about bringing in another defense is that it could make  the current players a bad fit for a new  scheme and the new  D coach. Its kind of funny but if they switched to a 3-4, I could see Latu and Paye moving to linebacker and Paye maybe even more suited for that role. I could see Latu as the Watt type like in Pittsburgh. We would definitely need better corners and the current DT's could maybe play in a 3-4 just different roles. Time to pull the plug. If the Packers back up qb has a hall of fame game, then something needs to be done. My fear of course is that the defense dominates and once again the coaches and GM come out with their same old lines of "see what happens when you play your gaps and area".

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

But it would be nice, going forward, if we could somehow hold Nico Collins under 100 yards.

Collins is a very good player, but only seems to look superhuman vs the Colts, then comes back down to earth when Houston plays every other team.

This is what the good D coordinators do. They do what ever it takes to take away the player that will hurt them the most. You double team Tyreke and/or play a safety over the top. Now, if the other guy who has single coverage beats you for 200 yards ,then good on him. To me, you never ever let the player who beats you twice last year make it three in a row. That is coaching malpractice and I am not sure what else Bradley can do to show that his days as a D coordinator have passed. I will make this prediction. Bradley will not make it to the end of the season. I think they pull the trigger sooner rather than later. I have to have faith in Steichen in that he will make the right decision. If this continues with Gus and he doesn't adjust, then my faith in Steichen will start  to wane, as it is a decision that I think is long over due.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Talent is a part of it..Remember Blackmon could have signed anywhere, nobody grabbed him. We had Cross  and Thomas competing for the other safety job and no other competition was brought in even though Ballard preaches that nonsense all the time. Who was brought in to compete at the corners? rookies! Lbers? Rookies!Swing tackles rookies ..or guys that were already here and couldn't win the position last year. Remember, Ballard admitted he made a mistake last year not addressing the secondary....How was it addressed...It's like groundhog day every year at the end of the season at Ballard press conference. It might actually light a fire under some * if he did actually bring in real competition for these weak spots..BTW, there was plenty to pick from with free agent secondary help too.

It's nonsense when Ballard talks about bringing in players to compete.

When did Ballard say he made a mistake not addressing the defensive backfield?  

I think that’s a misinterpretation.   

Ballard was trying to take the heat off of Bradley.   He basically said he made Bradley’s job more difficult by not bringing in more talent.   But there was a plan to play the young kids so they’d learn kn the job and I don’t think Ballard was saying the plan was wrong. 

39 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If they decided to say fire Gus and Steichen decided to move on, I am not sure where that would leave  Ballard. This is his scheme of choice and I am not sure what would be the reason for keeping him if Steichen decided on a totally different scheme that demanded a different type of player and skill set. Honestly, I would have zero faith in Ballard to rebuild another defense based on 8 years of drafting on that side of the ball. Lets bring in a guy like Martindale. Of course, the bad thing about bringing in another defense is that it could make  the current players a bad fit for a new  scheme and the new  D coach. Its kind of funny but if they switched to a 3-4, I could see Latu and Paye moving to linebacker and Paye maybe even more suited for that role. I could see Latu as the Watt type like in Pittsburgh. We would definitely need better corners and the current DT's could maybe play in a 3-4 just different roles. Time to pull the plug. If the Packers back up qb has a hall of fame game, then something needs to be done. My fear of course is that the defense dominates and once again the coaches and GM come out with their same old lines of "see what happens when you play your gaps and area".

I think the talent is mostly capable of adjusting to a tweeked scheme.  Its not like we'd be going to an old school 34 defense that would reguire a lot of personnel changes.  Most defenses in 2024 play various alignments and coverages, along with blitzes.   Our guys are supposed to be pretty RASy so they should be able to adjust to a tweeked scheme.

We probably need better LBers anyway.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When did Ballard say he made a mistake not addressing the defensive backfield?  

I think that’s a misinterpretation.   

Ballard was trying to take the heat off of Bradley.   He basically said he made Bradley’s job more difficult by not bringing in more talent.   But there was a plan to play the young kids so they’d learn kn the job and I don’t think Ballard was saying the plan was wrong. 

U think Bellichek would take the heat off his coaches in himself? He always takes responsibity andwould always throw his coaches under the bus. "We have to coach better and play better", he would always say when they lost.

Just now, DougDew said:

I think the talent is mostly capable of adjusting to a tweeked scheme.  Its not like we'd be going to an old school 34 defense that would reguire a lot of personnel changes.  Most defenses in 2024 play various alignments and coverages, along with blitzes.   Our guys are supposed to be pretty RASy so they should be able to adjust to a tweeked scheme.

I think Latu and Paye would be perfect fits but thats just me.!! I want the Colts to win this weekend but I also want the Packers to put up 35 points and then if it isnt obvious what needs to be done. Then, I am at a loss at what it will take for Gus to get his walking papers!!

51 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

He had over a 1k yards last season. We aren’t talking about a bad WR here. Coutee was the bad one that always killed colts.

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He had over a 1k yards last season. We aren’t talking about a bad WR here. Coutee was the bad one that always killed colts.

If you read... I said Collins is a very good player

and in 2023, Collins had 341 yards of his total vs the Colts alone. 

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We probably need better LBers anyway.

I like Speed and always have. Franklin is a tacking machine, and who isnt whomever they put in that position, but  a liability in coverage.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Mike Lombardi is somebody whose opinion I place a pretty high amount of value on.  This is somebody that Bill Belichick basically created a coaching staff position for at the Patriots (although he's mostly been a front office guy).  And I remember hearing that Belichick sought and followed his counsel quite a bit during that period.  What's that tell you?

And he has been incredibly critical of Gus Bradley -- more than people in his position usually are.  I realize that he's now cashing his checks from his commentary.  And living on clicks and eyeballs can make people be a little more pointed in their rhetoric than they might otherwise be.

That said, he's not pulling any punches.  He thinks that Gus Bradley is a poor defensive coordinator who employs a "vanilla defense" that any other team is going to have little problem exploiting.....and that he only has the job he has because of his personal relationship with Shane Steichen.

49 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Latu and Paye would be perfect fits but thats just me.!! I want the Colts to win this weekend but I also want the Packers to put up 35 points and then if it isnt obvious what needs to be done. Then, I am at a loss at what it will take for Gus to get his walking papers!!

You think it would be good for the Colts to fire Bradley after two weeks?   Instead of the end of the season?  

Am I understanding you correctly?  

54 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U think Bellichek would take the heat off his coaches in himself? He always takes responsibity andwould always throw his coaches under the bus. "We have to coach better and play better", he would always say when they lost.

Sorry, you lost me.   You say Belichick would always take responsibility and also that he would throw his assistants under the bus.   I’m not sure you wrote what you intended to say.