Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shouldn't Our Running Backs have More Yardage than Our Quarterback?

Mighty Blue

I just saw some videos of yesterday's game on the Forum. I live in Arizona, so that means I can't see my Colts on gameday...****!

Wow, AR5 has a cannon for an arm! :strong:         

I didn't see much of JT running the ball in the videos, but with more carries noted on the stats.:dunno:

AR5 had more yardage than JT unless the stats were "typos.":thinking:

Maybe JT can line up behind center to run the "Cougar":nutz:...no, wait, the "Wildcat.":rawr:

This could be a looooong (too many o's?) season if this is the gameplan. I'll admit that AR5 runs like a running back and he'll make great plays and even win games because of his abilities.

I hope our running backs always have more yards than our QB in the games ahead. I'd like to see AR5 play every game this season. :goodluck:

As for JT, I wore my Taylor jersey yesterday...but as for AR5, he still needs to earn that honor (It's just the way I feel).

Go Colts Fans!

HOU did damage to our LBers and Ss in the running game by using rookie TE Cade Stover as a Fullback in the I formation with Stroud under Center.  Quite a few plays actually.  Wish Shane would do that about 10 plays a game.

Provided Granson/Mallory are capable of blocking like that, or assuming Mo could hit the LOS by next Thursday.

Oh, wait.....

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

HOU did damage to our LBers and Ss in the running game by using rookie TE Cade Stover as a Fullback in the I formation with Stroud under Center.  Quite a few plays actually.  Wish Shane would do that about 10 plays a game.

Provided Granson/Mallory are capable of blocking like that, or assuming Mo could hit the LOS by next Thursday.

Oh, wait.....

I think a fullback role is going to become more common as linebackers are becoming smaller and focusing on speed. Teams are never going to abandon a power run game that can dictate the pace of the game and control the clock, especially when they want/need to. It might not be a traditional fullback, but we are starting to see a lot of usage in the backfield in that role. 

• Like 3

To answer your question @Mighty Blue, take a look at what the Eagles did in 2022 under Steichen as playcaller. Miles Sanders rushed for about 75 yards a game  (1269 and 11 tds) and Jalen Hurts rushed for about 50 yards a game (760 and 13 tds). I think you will see that kind of balance between AR and JT over the course of the season, providing they stay healthy of course. I thought all offseason that teams would stack the box a lot and force AR to throw, especially after what was coming out of the joint practice with the Bengals and their defense talking smack. Now that he has shown to be a legitimate deep threat, teams are going to have to decide how they are going to approach the 2024 Colts. Continue forcing them to throw and risk what we saw Sunday, or try and balance it out and force him to convert 3rd downs. 

22 hours ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Didnt Lamar Jackson have more rushing yards than their running backs combined last week?  Although not ideal, since they lost to KC.

Lamar gave all to win that game.

6 days later (Wednesday practice) he still took a "vets" day off.

We beat the Ravens last season because Lamar quit running.

And Lamar had no legs left by last years season ending loss. His words.

It's a really bad gamble for Richardson to risk big hits. 

Of course that body slam he took in the pocket had to leave him sore for a few days (at least)!

• Like 1