Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Turf

Shepman

I think we all know by now that we had new Turf put into LOS this year.  Why were both teams having such traction problems?  Is there an issue with the turf and paint?  Did we not test different shoe types after install?  What can be done to fix this as this seems more prone to injury than what we had before in its current state.

I just asked this in another thread...

What's up with the turf? Did they repaint it recently, or is there some other reason for it to have been such a factor? I was thinking maybe it takes a few weeks to break it in, but I don't remember anyone slipping like that in preseason.

Just now, Shepman said:

I think we all know by now that we had new Turf put into LOS this year.  Why were both teams having such traction problems?  Is there an issue with the turf and paint?  Did we not test different shoe types after install?  What can be done to fix this as this seems more prone to injury than what we had before in its current state.

Idk but if we can master playing there without  slipping it be a real advantage  against whoever comes in lol

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

What's up with the turf? Did they repaint it recently, or is there some other reason for it to have been such a factor? I was thinking maybe it takes a few weeks to break it in, but I don't remember anyone slipping like that in preseason.

Some have speculated it was because of the roof being open and the air temperature. It was rather cool yesterday morning and even leading up to the game. 

• Thanks 3

It’s very curious. It’s the same turf they installed at the practice facility, did they have a similar issue up there? I saw someone say it needed “breaking in”, but I never saw the amount of slipping in the two home preseason games as I did in either individual half yesterday. 

Did we go with the wrong shoes? Both teams? 

I believe the Lions are using the same kind of turf at Ford Field, did they have a similar issue? 

Hopefully it was an aberration, or at least a correctable issue because slipping like that isn’t sustainable. Thats going to cause more injuries than our old turf allegedly did, as well as causing us unintended struggle on the field. The latter already reared its ugly head yesterday. 😬

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Anything new takes time to adjust too.  Give it time.  The players will figure it out.

Sure, but it's weird that there were no issues during preseason, and only now did it pop up. Like others are saying, maybe the field was more slick than expected due to the weather/roof. Hopefully it won't be an issue moving forward.

I thought the field looked great, though. 

58 minutes ago, Superman said:

Sure, but it's weird that there were no issues during preseason, and only now did it pop up. Like others are saying, maybe the field was more slick than expected due to the weather/roof. Hopefully it won't be an issue moving forward.

I thought the field looked great, though. 

Yeah that’s my guess too.  That was the first they have played on it with the open roof.   Perhaps natural sunlight did something to the field.  That’s the only difference between the practice sight and what they played on in the pre-season.

I don't have any extra insight, but my opinion is that they haven't figured out exactly what kind of shoes work best on this new type of surface. Should they wear turf shoes; should they wear spikes; etc etc.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They have the same surface at the practice facility though.

Maybe they slip there and maybe they haven't figured out those shoes either? I have no insight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I noticed it during the preseason and people acted like I was crazy.

IMG_5146.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah that’s my guess too.  That was the first they have played on it with the open roof.   Perhaps natural sunlight did something to the field.  That’s the only difference between the practice sight and what they played on in the pre-season.

There were for sure issues in the pre-season. I noticed it (check post above). If you can go back  and watch some of the preseason games you will def notice players slipping. I was noticing it during the games. Surprised nobody else did.

12 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I noticed it during the preseason and people acted like I was crazy.

IMG_5146.jpeg

I didn't notice it, and I don't remember your post. But maybe you caught something that went unnoticed by most people. Hopefully they work it out.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I didn't notice it, and I don't remember your post. But maybe you caught something that went unnoticed by most people. Hopefully they work it out.

I will also say,

Richardson took a pretty good head to turf hit on that body slam and got up fine. Some other big hits occurred as well with no major injuries. 

Just in one regular season game it appears the turf might be a bit safer. Just hope they get the footing issues figured out to prevent lower body injuries.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do you remember if the roof was open?

It was closed because of an equipment failure.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I will also say,

Richardson took a pretty good head to turf hit on that body slam and got up fine. Some other big hits occurred as well with no major injuries. 

Just in one regular season game it appears the turf might be a bit safer. Just hope they get the footing issues figured out to prevent lower body injuries.

It was closed because of an equipment failure.

I thought the same. Between the new turf and the new helmets, maybe he was more protected than he would have been at this point last season. 

First , zero idea if this is the case and it's pure speculation and a guess on my part - it's possible the new turf has a different prep/ maintainence routine than the previous one and our staff is still getting used to it, or the players are still experimenting with different cleats for this specific surface. :dunno:

Just now, stitches said:

First , zero idea if this is the case and it's pure speculation and a guess on my part - it's possible the new turf has a different prep/ maintainence routine than the previous one and our staff is still getting used to it, or the players are still experimenting with different cleats for this specific surface. :dunno:

It does have a different prep/maintenance routine. It needs to be backfilled, sprayed down, and raked periodically. And there might be a learning curve for the staff, but I'm sure they have plenty of support. 

The condensation theory makes sense to me. But if Bravo is right and players were slipping in preseason -- I honestly didn't notice it -- then maybe that's not it.