Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Starters vs the Bengals

CR91

Some notes from quarter and a half of starters.

-Defense with a quick three and out and had great pressure 

-First series offense looked great and was impressed with the throws from AR and his ability to read the blitz

-Lots of mistakes in the second series and so on. Granson went outside instead of inside which led to the pick. A little too outside for Pitt, but still catchable. Terrible throw to Mitchell. AR has to make that throw.

-Accuracy and timing just weren't there once Taylor went out after the first series. I don't know if the threat of JT no longer there has the defense playing faster effected AR, but it needs to get better.

Overall I thought the defense was great which is expected vs backups, but the offense has to clean up a few things before the Texans game 

• Like 3

Communication and execution issues. Glad the starters got the reps, they all needed it. Now they have tape to study.

Should've played last week too in my opinion, but I get the injury concern angle.

• Like 1

The return of Josh Downs will help this offense. I like AD but he’s a rookie and it’ll take him time to get adjusted to the NFL. Overall it was a mixed performance but it’s things they can definitely improve on.

• Like 1

The first series was how I expected them to play against a second string defense.  From there everything looked...not good.  From AR's reaction it looked to me as though he made the bad read not Granson?

Keep Concalves on the right side.  He looked terrible in pass pro from what little I looked at him when at LT.  Run blocking looked okay.

• Like 1

Hard to tell if we learned anything.  AR has accuracy and miscommunication issues.  The later can be fixed with more reps.  The former…?  Even on that first series he missed Olgetree for the TD.  

Our D, especially the starting secondary, didn’t get tested in the air.  I wish they could have faced a starting caliber QB.  

• Like 1

It's an option route for Granson and when it's an option, you can't turn inside and then go back outside. That's terrible on Granson. He faked his own QB out. The throw  that was concerning was the over route to AD, Richardson has to make that throw. AR is making the right reads, he just needs to be more accurate and his TE's dropped(high throw but Tree has to make that catch) a TD and caused and INT.! .......Can't happen................. TE's need to step up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Hard to tell if we learned anything.  AR has accuracy and miscommunication issues.  The later can be fixed with more reps.  The former…?  Even on that first series he missed Olgetree for the TD.  

Our D, especially the starting secondary, didn’t get tested in the air.  I wish they could have faced a starting caliber QB.  

No. Olgetree dropped it. He got his hands on the ball

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I might be in the minority of thinking he doesn’t have accuracy issues, but rather inconsistency issues. He can be very accurate, and then he can throw bullets that sail- Kirk Herbstreit put it best. He has to get a better touch on the ball and find better rhythm. It he can learn to tone back certain throws and find that touch, I’m confident the accuracy talk wouldn’t be there. Considering he had surgery less than a year ago, and the obvious inexperience, I’m pretty confident that he can. Wild potential, and it’s not going to go away overnight. Hes 22. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I need to see it again. I know Pitt dropped a tough one.  Several throws were just off.  He had AD wide open.  

The pick 6 is as more on Granson.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Hoping this offense can put it all together sooner than later but I think we have a good shot at doing some good things this year.

I think we've gotta be prepared for a lot of Jekyll and Hyde type play on offense unfortunately. 

It is what it is, but AR will impress us at times and make us wanna smack ourselves in the face at other times.

Mix in a missed kick from Gay and the occasional inevitable defensive breakdown and we've got ourselves the 2024 Colts...:)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

Not that it matters, but I just watched it again.  It's on YouTube if you didn't record it.   

It was a bad throw. 

Ogletree barely touched the overthrown ball with his fingers on one hand.  He was open, and it should have been a pretty easy throw.  It happens.  We just hope it happens less often than more.

• Like 1