Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harrison Butker's shocking speech, Chiefs probably not going to 3 peat

chad72

36 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I would be shocked and disappointed if the NFL or the Chiefs decided to suspend him.

They won't suspend him; he did not commit an offense that warrants suspension. He might be cut to prevent a distraction, but I highly doubt that. It has almost a zero chance of happening. The Chiefs have said nothing.

36 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Personally my wife did not work and was home to raise my children which was our desire but certainly respect those who's wife though choice or necessity works outside the home.

My older sister worked in corporate America before she got married. When she was having her second child, she decided to quit working to stay home to care for the children. She and her husband had the means to do so and it worked out very well. After their children grew up, they decided to run their own business. So, she never worked for another person again. But that was their choice.

Our family attended her second's son commencement ceremony last Saturday. I would have been disappointed to listen to someone give a political speech. Thankfully, all the speakers gave the graduates words of inspiration, encouragement and optimism for the future. Arthur Blank addressed the graduates and was fantastic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

Of course, I'm never compelled to instantly share my opinion on such matters of whether he is right or wrong...since nobody cares what anybody's opinion is.  I look at it from the perspective of an objective observer of how controversies get started and how the NFL gets involved.

I believe Butker is guilty of giving a speech to a Christian based college that speaks to traditional values..  Go figure...maybe he tailored the speech to his audience and not the general public?  But the fact that he said it with a microphone meant it got picked up by the general public, and so now it must be shouted down by those who probably chose to not attend a Christian college to begin with.  Weird that they feel compelled to get involved.

If I read his words correctly, what Butker actually said (to women in a Christian college) is that most of you will choose to get married and have kids,  And that when you do, that should be the most important thing in your life.  He then praised his wife for how she chose to do it.  Not much different than Lou Holtz telling men that when you become a father, the most important thing is to show your children's mother how much you love her.  

Wow, what controversy, what extremism.  That it might be okay to be devoted ONLY to your family and God, and to choose to not be devoted to an Employer and the correct Social Narratives.

I think if the NFL says anything, it should support its player against attacks by those who simply disagree with an opinion, instead of taking sides in the opinion.   After all, Butker was not wearing an NFL uniform, or representing the NFL in any capacity...and it pretty obvious he wasn't.   I guess the NFL is still scared of potential shakedowns and must quickly issue a statement telling the public how much they are on the correct side of things in case there is the slightest hint that silence implies they aren't. 

But its interesting to see that Butker's Jersey sales have increased dramatically.  Maybe the NFL should donate the money to women's causes since it can't possibly want to be tainted with money from such horrible and unpopular ideas.

His jersey sales increased "dramatically" because nobody ever bought his jersey before. He couldve sold 10 jerseys in a week and it would have been a dramatic increase. 

They do donate money to womens causes Doug. Do you? They also give them rewarding careers, allow them to have opinions and wear shoes. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Great post.  That is also my stance. People spend so much time judging other peoples' life choices. I always ask, "What is it to you?" Why does it matter what career others choose, whether they marry or not, who or when they choose to marry, whether or not they have children, etc. Everyone should have the right to do what they want with their own lives.

Life is what you make it. Let others live their lives as they choose.

Because the people you are speaking of simply think they are superior to other people and view every issue on earth a result of people not being more like them. Have you listened to them? Because they tell everyone this every chance they get. 

And if you dare push back they start with the victim act, as Doug was so kind to demonstrate above.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

His jersey sales increased "dramatically" because nobody ever bought his jersey before. He couldve sold 10 jerseys in a week and it would have been a dramatic increase. 

They do donate money to womens causes Doug. Do you? They also give them rewarding careers, allow them to have opinions and wear shoes. 

If I donate to a group, can I check a box on my good-citizen scorecard?  Your last sentence seems to be loaded with opinions presented as facts, and mean-spirited stereotypes of opposing viewpoints.  

If you wanted to debate such topics on another forum, be careful.  People like him seem to no longer be willing to stay in their prescribed backwater eddy of society that doesn't allow them a significant share of the microphone.  They may actually make a reasonable argument that says that marrying and producing a family and devoting 100% of your time to supporting that family actually has more social value than taking 4 years to be institutionally trained on how to perform tasks, at great expense, then spending 30 years of your life slogging through a portion of each day performing those tasks for a paycheck....tasks that society probably doesn't even need to begin with.  Some would think that perusing the first option is actually more rewarding than the second option. 

It also seems that some are calling for him to be fired because they think what he said was intolerant.  Personally, I think justice would be better served by firing those people from their jobs for actually being intolerant.  Probably something they've never considered before going on the internet and saying it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Should be a non story. He went to a Christian college and gave a Christian speech. Glad my wife decided to be the nurturer and not me. My children fall I tell them to get up you're fine. I literally see nothing wrong with what Harrison is saying. He shouldn't be cut, punished, or slandered. Disagree all you want that is completely fine we all don't have the same opinions 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If I donate to a group, can I check a box on my good-citizen scorecard?  Your last sentence seems to be loaded with opinions presented as facts, and mean-spirited stereotypes of opposing viewpoints.  

If you wanted to debate such topics on another forum, be careful.  People like him seem to no longer be willing to stay in their prescribed backwater eddy of society that doesn't allow them a significant share of the microphone.  They may actually make a reasonable argument that says that marrying and producing a family and devoting 100% of your time to supporting that family actually has more social value than taking 4 years to be institutionally trained on how to perform tasks, at great expense, then spending 30 years of your life slogging through a portion of each day performing those tasks for a paycheck....tasks that society probably doesn't even need to begin with.  Some would think that perusing the first option is actually more rewarding than the second option. 

It also seems that some are calling for him to be fired because they think what he said was intolerant.  Personally, I think justice would be better served by firing those people from their jobs for actually being intolerant.  Probably something they've never considered before going on the internet and saying it.

How are they "loaded as facts" Doug? Its just an opinion. I presented nothing as a fact. And how is your second paragraph not exactly what you are accusing others of doing?

Some careers are actually rewarding. I love mine. Just because you made poor choices and hate what you do, you shouldnt assume thats the case for everyone else. Some people do it very well. So dont try to discourage someone from pursuing a dream because you dont think its possible to do both.  

Do you know that when I take 2 weeks off in the summer to go visit family I have on the west coast, I actually cant wait to get back to work? It is very possible you know. 

I never said he should be fired. Never said he had no right to make a fool of himself. I prefer he does, in fact. Id love to debate him or anyone else on this issue, anytime.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, people trying to sign petitions to get rid of him from the Chiefs team are just as hypocrites as him and don't understand how the world works. 

Now, if they somehow turn all the Swifties on him like a Wolf Pack, NFL and Chiefs may consider replacing him because money is where they'd follow, not morals or someone's perceived morals. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Should be a non story. He went to a Christian college and gave a Christian speech. Glad my wife decided to be the nurturer and not me. My children fall I tell them to get up you're fine. I literally see nothing wrong with what Harrison is saying. He shouldn't be cut, punished, or slandered. Disagree all you want that is completely fine we all don't have the same opinions 

I don’t want Butker to be cut, punished, or slandered either. 

But you called this a Christian speech.  I’m not sure I’d agree with that and I think it should be noted the Christians who run the college are NOT happy about it.  

They put out a statement saying they don’t share the views of Butker.  That they didn’t know he was going to say what he did and they’re not exactly happy with his comments.  They were hoping for something that celebrates the achievement of their graduates and encourages them to go out to make the world a better place for all especially the less fortunate.  Again, this is from those who run the school.  

I was pretty impressed. 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2024 at 3:51 PM, NFLfan said:

I did listen. He got a standing ovation because the folks there agree with him. But some students commented later and did not agree with him.

FWIW:   I think you’ll find it interesting that the school has found it necessary to put out a statement that while they support Butkers right to have his opinion, the school did not know what he was going to say.  And they’re not really happy about it.  

Those who run the school said they were hoping for something more uplifting to their graduates.  Something more along the lines of going out in the world to make it a better place for everyone, especially those less fortunate.  

To be clear, I’m paraphrasing from memory, not writing word for word.  But that was the thrust of their statement. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But you called this a Christian speech.  I’m not sure I’d agree with that and I think it should be noted the Christians who run the college are NOT happy about it.  

They put out a statement saying they don’t share the views of Butker.  That they didn’t know he was going to say what he did and they’re not exactly happy with his comments.  They were hoping for something that celebrates the achievement of their graduates and encourages them to go out to make the world a better place for all especially the less fortunate.  Again, this is from those who run the school.  

I was pretty impressed. 

I read that.

His commencement speech sounded like a campaign speech. These are students that just spent at least 4 years in school, spending thousands of dollars. Many likely will have student loans. His speech has nothing to do with graduation.

Even if he wanted to share his religious and political views, he could have also shared that his mother is a physicist who found time to be a mother too.

Anyway...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

How are they "loaded as facts" Doug? Its just an opinion. I presented nothing as a fact. And how is your second paragraph not exactly what you are accusing others of doing?

Some careers are actually rewarding. I love mine. Just because you made poor choices and hate what you do, you shouldnt assume thats the case for everyone else. Some people do it very well. So dont try to discourage someone from pursuing a dream because you dont think its possible to do both.  

Do you know that when I take 2 weeks off in the summer to go visit family I have on the west coast, I actually cant wait to get back to work? It is very possible you know. 

I never said he should be fired. Never said he had no right to make a fool of himself. I prefer he does, in fact. Id love to debate him or anyone else on this issue, anytime.

I would not go back and forth. It leads to nowhere.

4 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Exactly. Of course Kelce and Mahomes jerseys have not sold as much. Many people already own their jersey. Who had Butker's jersey before now!

• Like 1

Butker will not be touched.  He’s safe.  

The owners of the Chiefs came out today they are not cutting him and they support his right to free speech.   

Plus the NFL came out with their own statement.  They said they strongly disagreed with what Butker said but supported his right to express his opinion.  The league added that they support diversity, equity and inclusion.  They say those qualities make the NFL stronger and better. 

So, Butker seems safe and well supported.  I think the only thing that could change all this is if he continues to pour gasoline on the fire he made and not let things calm down.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I sure thought it was the land of free speech. I’ll probably get busted for a religious post, but why are Christians so attacked.

I went to Catholic school from 3rd grade through high school. I don't recall anyone sharing what Butker did.

No one said he does not have free speech. However, I have heard many say that players should "shut up and play." Why is it different with Butker?

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was pretty impressed. 

Of course they dont like it, it undermines the education they provided to these graduates. This was a speech aimed at college graduates who obviously didnt go to college to get a degree in motherhood. He basically diminished all the work they put in for that degree by comparing it to something completely unrelated. This wasnt the place for it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be a stay at home mother and nobody said there was. And I would agree with people who say feminists can be guilty of acting the same condescending way towards women who choose that path, and thats a complete contradiction of their perceived values.

But who really has more impact on society anyways? A good parent who raises a couple solid kids? Or an entreprenuer that provides a good living to hundreds of families? Or someone who chooses a path that fills a tremendous need for society like a nurse or doctor or teacher, that touches hundreds of lives? Its absolutely debatable and I think he is espousing a lot of self important nonsense. So I just dont agree with people when they suggest that having a career isnt very important and I think that attitude is very damaging to society. 

Good parents are very important but so are many other people.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Butker will not be touched.  He’s safe.  

He should not lose his job. He did not do something criminal. I felt the same way about Kaepernick. Some here thought Kaepernick should never play again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I sure thought it was the land of free speech. I’ll probably get busted for a religious post, but why are Christians so attacked.

Well…. Christians are 70-75 percent of the country.   If they’re under attack as you believe, it’s not just from the other 25-30 percent.  Some of it is internal.  Some Christians being unhappy with other Christians.  Just saying. 

Having said this, I realize I’m talking politics which is not allowed.  So I’ll just leave this at that.   

9 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Because they are constantly attacking other people maybe? 

Do you think free speech means you say what you want to say and everyone else stays quiet?

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well…. Christians are 70-75 percent of the country.   If they’re under attack as you believe, it’s not just from the other 25-30 percent.  Some of it is internal.  Some Christians being unhappy with other Christians.  Just saying. 

Having said this, I realize I’m talking politics which is not allowed.  So I’ll just leave this at that.   

I push back on that. There are a lot of people that claim to be christians in polls, but have never actually read a bible or put much thought into it. It just sounds good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Of course they dont like it, it undermines the education they provided to these graduates. This was a speech aimed at college graduates who obviously didnt go to college to get a degree in motherhood. He basically diminished all the work they put in for that degree by comparing it to something completely unrelated. This wasnt the place for it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be a stay at home mother and bobody said there was. And I would agree with people who say feminists can be guilty of acting the same condescending way towards women who choose that path, and thats a complete contradiction of their perceived values.

But who really has more impact on society anyways? A good parent who raises a couple solid kids? Or an entreprenuer that provides a good living to hundreds of families? Or someone who chooses a path that fills a tremendous need for society like a nurse or doctor or teacher, that touches hundreds of lives? Its absolutely debatable and I think he is espousing a lot of self important nonsense. So I just dont agree with people when they suggest that having a career isnt very important and I think that attitude is very damaging to society. 

Good parents are very important but so are many other people.

Killah..,.  As I was going thru this thread I saw a post or two suggesting the school was probably fine with the speech.  My post was only trying to set the record straight.  Nothing more.   

I think I agreed with most of your good post.  I think you made lots of very good points.  Hope I clarified any misunderstanding.  

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Killah..,.  As I was going thru this thread I saw a post or two suggesting the school was probably fine with the speech.  My post was only trying to set the record straight.  Nothing more.   

I think I agreed with most of your good post.  I think you made lots of very good points.  Hope I clarified any misunderstanding.  

Goatface Killah agrees with you. GK was just adding to what you wrote.

I was the one who wrote that the school probably agreed with him. But the Benedictine Sisters said that they did not approve of his comments.

6 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I push back on that. There are a lot of people that claim to be christians in polls, but have never actually read a bible or put much thought into it. It just sounds good. 

I don’t know what there is to push back on?   Are you not aware of great internal debate within the Christian community?   Much of it surrounds the current politics of the day.   It’s not exactly a well kept secret.  

Im trying hard to tip-toe here.  Politics is off-limits.   I’m not sure how much I can say? 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know what there is to push back on?   Are you not aware of great internal debate within the Christian community?  
Much of it surrounds the current politics of the day.   It’s not exactly a well kept secret.  

Im trying hard to tip-toe here.  Politics is off-limits here.  I’m not sure how much I can say? 

I think Goatface Killah is saying that there are many who claim to be Christians but really are not.

Anyway, Butker's commencement address appeared to be a political campaign address. There was little about the education of the students and their academic achievements as undergraduates.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think Goatface Killah is saying that there are many who claim to be Christians but really are not.

I hear that.  But two things can be true at the same time.  His view can be true and so can mine.  It’s not one or the other.  And his first words were he was pushing back. 

Im going offline for a while.  Hopefully things will calm down a bit.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hear that.  But two things can be true at the same time.  His view can be true and so can mine.  It’s not one or the other.  And his first words were he was pushing back. 

Yes, your views are true too. Maybe I missed something. I thought the comments by the two of you were complementing each other. (Complement, not compliment.)

I’d say the odds highly suggest they won’t 3 peat (no team has ever won three straight Super Bowls) but I don’t think it will have anything to do with this speech, and for the record I found his speech disgusting.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

It is, free speech doesn’t mean you are immune from criticism for something you say it just means the government can’t lock you up for what you said or make a law saying you can’t say it.  Last time I checked Butker hasn’t been arrested and no one in congress is looking to make a law to out law what he said.  So his free speech rights have not been violated.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I always go back to Full Metal Jacket lmao...

"Here you are all equally worthless!"

Sometimes as humans we take ourselves way too seriously as if we're way more important than we really are. Being a history teacher, I have come realize that most of us are not destined for "greatness". We won't be remembered in just a few generations' time. While some may consider that sad, I try to view it as liberating. I can do what I want with the time given to me to find my own happiness. 

I thought you were a Science teacher for some reason lol, shows how well I pay attention!

God bless you sir! I was pretty terrible in History throughout my school years lol

Salute GIF by The Streamy Awards

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It is, free speech doesn’t mean you are immune from criticism for something you say it just means the government can’t lock you up for what you said or make a law saying you can’t say it.  Last time I checked Butker hasn’t been arrested and no one in congress is looking to make a law to out law what he said.  So his free speech rights have not been violated.  

Well said.

• Thanks 1

I was merely pushing back on the poll itself, not any of your opinions. I just dont think its even close to accurate.

I dont disagree with anything youve said here.

NCF just because I quote you doesnt mean I necessarily disagree with you. I just felt like the point I was trying to make was related to something you posted. 

I dont feel like this is a political discussion really. Im just commenting on a story posted here. Its hard to post about this story and not have an opinion on the content of his speech.

I dont think anyone has gotten too bent out of shape here. 

5 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

NCF just because I quote you doesnt mean I necessarily disagree with you. I just felt like the point I was trying to make was related to something you posted. 

I dont feel like this is a political discussion really. Im just commenting on a story posted here. Its hard to post about this story and not have an opinion on the content of his speech.

I dont think anyone has gotten too bent out of shape here. 

It’s not a political discussion because we’re all trying hard not to make it one.  But we’re only a few sentences away from it becoming as political as possible. 

3 hours ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

I thought you were a Science teacher for some reason lol, shows how well I pay attention!

God bless you sir! I was pretty terrible in History throughout my school years lol

He qualifies for teaching many subjects, so you're probably not wrong :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

Thanks!

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He qualifies for teaching many subjects, so you're probably not wrong :D

Haha yep that’s true! In any given year I can be teaching geography, world history, ethnic studies, Indiana studies, sociology, music, computers, math, and or English. One year I darn near taught all of the above in the same day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Thanks!

Haha yep that’s true! In any given year I can be teaching geography, world history, ethnic studies, Indiana studies, sociology, music, computers, math, and or English. One year I darn near taught all of the above in the same day!

stressed homer simpson GIF- In my Homer voice "have to keep up with Roller, DOH"

• Like 1

What I don't get, people feel it is ok to pile on Butker in social media but if someone is against Kneeling for the flag and they post it, they get ridiculed. Kneeling for the flag is worse than what Butker said, and I don't even agree with Butker said. My mom raised me and had a 35-year career topping out at 130,000 a year before she retired. She did both - raised me and had a great career. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What I don't get, people feel it is ok to pile on Butker in social media but if someone is against Kneeling for the flag and they post it, they get ridiculed. Kneeling for the flag is worse than what Butker said, and I don't even agree with Butker said. My mom raised me and had a 35-year career topping out at 130,000 a year before she retired. She did both - raised me and had a great career. 

Both sides of the aisle tend to do this: find something to rile their side up. 

“Free speech is only free for the victor”. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I went to Catholic school from 3rd grade through high school. I don't recall anyone sharing what Butker did.

No one said he does not have free speech. However, I have heard many say that players should "shut up and play." Why is it different with Butker?

I just read the full transcript of the speech, and I would've come to believe that the graduating students are only Theology majors. Anyway, understand he chose to say all of that because it seems to be a traditional catholic school. 

I guess the problem for him is he loves all things traditional (TLM, old beliefs and tendencies of the culture, how "God of the Old Testament wanted to be worshipped" in his own words, etc.,) and he doesn't like the changing world. 

The simple solution is that the New Testament only asked for Two Commandments, and those who know them know it solves all the conflicts. I guess that's the inherent confusion for traditionalists on what to follow! 

As for the comments about homemaker, his worldview is too narrow to begin with, and as you pointed out, that didn't even consider his Mother, so not sure how he thought he could speak for all women! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

As for the comments about homemaker, his worldview is too narrow to begin with, and as you pointed out, that didn't even consider his Mother, so not sure how he thought he could speak for all women! 

It turns out that he comes from a family and a school with very accomplished women. Not only is his mother a physicist, his sister is a Physician's Assistant who studied at Weill Cornell Graduate School right here on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in NY. His paternal aunt is a senior vice president of a firm. And his graduating class at Georgia Tech had over 50 women graduate in industrial engineering.

He did not bother to mention any of that. He may be the least academically successful member of his family. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/harrison-butkers-atlanta-hometown-scolds-him-over-commencement-speech

21 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

he doesn't like the changing world. 

That comes across loud and clear.

As for the school being Catholic, there are many Catholic schools that don't preach that. I wonder if Notre Dame would ever invite him to address grads. I doubt it. A group affiliated with the school said that Butker does not represent them. They said that instead of bringing people together, his address was divisive.

In a statement released Friday, the sisters of Mount St. Scholastica said they “do not believe that Harrison Butker’s comments in his 2024 Benedictine College commencement address represent the Catholic, Benedictine, liberal arts college that our founders envisioned and in which we have been so invested.

“Instead of promoting unity in our church, our nation, and the world, his comments seem to have fostered division. … We sisters have dedicated our lives to God and God’s people, including the many women whom we have taught and influenced during the past 160 years. These women have made a tremendous difference in the world in their roles as wives and mothers and through their God-given gifts in leadership, scholarship, and their careers.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5502923/2024/05/18/harrison-butker-benedictine-sisters-jersey?source=user-shared-article

• Like 1