Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Gardner Minshew unappreciation conversation

I like what he has done this season on a in the big picture and he was in a very difficult position to be the starter for like 13 games. What I don’t understand is how he was just so off target in the biggest game of the year. I know this has been discussed, but I just don’t see the Colts resigning him. Thoughts??

27 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I like what he has done this season on a in the big picture and he was in a very difficult position to be the starter for like 13 games. What I don’t understand is how he was just so off target in the biggest game of the year. I know this has been discussed, but I just don’t see the Colts resigning him. Thoughts??

Big picture, Shane brought Minshew to Indy to help teach AR the offense, not to start 10+ games. That plan fell apart with AR's injuries.

My bottom line is this season could have been MUCH worse if not for imagination and the will to win. (In most games, anyway).

• Like 1

In addition to the 13 games he started, Minshew finished a few of the first 4 games in relief of AR. 

I think the only way the Colts don't resign him would be if another team showed interest in him as their starter but I doubt that will be the case. If he's going to be a backup, Indy is as good as anywhere else for him,probably better than most considering his familiarity with Shane & his system.

• Like 2

Resign him as insurance in case AR actually does turn out to be made of glass.  But after next season let him go and let us tank for another QB if AR can’t stay healthy.   He’s good for the locker room and works well with AR plus they train together in the off season. Good situation for all. 

30 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

In addition to the 13 games he started, Minshew finished a few of the first 4 games in relief of AR. 

I think the only way the Colts don't resign him would be if another team showed interest in him as their starter but I doubt that will be the case. If he's going to be a backup, Indy is as good as anywhere else for him,probably better than most considering his familiarity with Shane & his system.

I agree with this.

Re-sign him as a backup.

He made 3.5M last season with an additional 2M in playing time incentives which I'm sure he hit.

I don't think any other team would offer him a contract like that.

9 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I agree with this.

Re-sign him as a backup.

He made 3.5M last season with an additional 2M in playing time incentives which I'm sure he hit.

I don't think any other team would offer him a contract like that.

I'd like to re-sign him too, maybe to another $3.5M deal. I'm not so sure another team wouldn't offer him as much or more. He wasn't elite but he was definitely competent. I'd say Garner and Jake Browning are my favorite backups. Either could be starters somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArmchairQB said:

Resign him as insurance in case AR actually does turn out to be made of glass.  But after next season let him go and let us tank for another QB if AR can’t stay healthy.   He’s good for the locker room and works well with AR plus they train together in the off season. Good situation for all. 

I think some will pay more to have him as their back up quarterback. But Ellinger and Mond are not gonna be good enough to win games if AR cannot play . You can bring in a veteran quarterback they can make a simple throw. It’s just maddening how Minshew throw. Most starting high school quarterbacks could make that simple throw. It was a clean pocket and he threw it behind. Gooden took all the blame and that is just not right. All Gardner said was that I could’ve made a better throw. No uncle Rico cost us the game. You could’ve simply said as the veteran it was my fault and take the blame away from the rookie that took the blame for your horrible throw

Minshew struggles with accuracy - that's been painfully visible all year.  He left 1,000 yards on the field between missed throws and missed reads.  He's a mid-level veteran #2 who knows the Steichen offense. So, he's good for a rookie HC, rookie QB, game planning & emergencies.  I can see that being the case for another year. There does need to be competition for that #2 spot though, which should swing the focus to Ehlinger.

1 minute ago, Douzer said:

Minshew struggles with accuracy - that's been painfully visible all year.  He left 1,000 yards on the field between missed throws and missed reads.  He's a mid-level veteran #2 who knows the Steichen offense. So, he's good for a rookie HC, rookie QB, game planning & emergencies.  I can see that being the case for another year. There does need to be competition for that #2 spot though, which should swing the focus to Ehlinger.

How well does he know the offense, when he never seems to be aware of receivers coming open down the field?

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

How well does he know the offense, when he never seems to be aware of receivers coming open down the field?

Feeling pressure. It what makes all QB's miss what's there.  Some require more pressure than others. Knowing what to do - and - actually doing it under fire, is the NFL game.  But, If you don't know the play concepts and common defensive schemes, you're toast.

What does Steichen think of getting a vet like Joshua Dobbs in the fold as a backup to AR? I know the experience factor is a plus for Minshew but I am thinking that if AR gets banged up again, instead of changing the playbook significantly, you could have another QB that uses his legs like Dobbs to not have to change things significantly??

Minshew did have a couple of rushing TDs early on but teams just sat on the underneath stuff more. Plus, Dobbs looks for TEs more, I have noticed when Hockenson was healthy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Douzer said:

Feeling pressure. It what makes all QB's miss what's there.  Some require more pressure than others. Knowing what to do - and - actually doing it under fire, is the NFL game.  But, If you don't know the play concepts and common defensive schemes, you're toast.

True. I'm mostly being sarcastic, but I agree that Minshew has a level of comfort operating the offense. It's also really simple and RPO based, so it's not that hard to grasp, I don't think.

I think our backup next year should be someone who better complements Richardson. That way we don't have to significantly adjust the offense if Richardson is out with an injury. Of course, if we need a backup for two or three weeks, I don't totally mind that being Minshew.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

True. I'm mostly being sarcastic, but I agree that Minshew has a level of comfort operating the offense. It's also really simple and RPO based, so it's not that hard to grasp, I don't think.

I think our backup next year should be someone who better complements Richardson. That way we don't have to significantly adjust the offense if Richardson is out with an injury. Of course, if we need a backup for two or three weeks, I don't totally mind that being Minshew.

That is why I suggested Joshua Dobbs above.

Just like Tyler Huntley for Lamar Jackson.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think our backup next year should be someone who better complements Richardson. That way we don't have to significantly adjust the offense if Richardson is out with an injury. Of course, if we need a backup for two or three weeks, I don't totally mind that being Minshew

I agree with this, ideally the #2 QB should have very similar player attributes to the #1. Evolution of the QB room is coming in some form, one would think.

They certainly got their 3 million out of him.

If Richardson misses 4 games a year(good possibility), Minshew can keep you competitive for 4 games.  That’s exactly what you want out of a backup.  

1 hour ago, Douzer said:

I like your enthusiasm, but I don’t think Ellinger is ever going to be anything worthwhile

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

They certainly got their 3 million out of him.

If Richardson misses 4 games a year(good possibility), Minshew can keep you competitive for 4 games.  That’s exactly what you want out of a backup.  

That could be true, but like I said, high school quarterback at a good school, could’ve made that throw to Goodson

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

What does Steichen think of getting a vet like Joshua Dobbs in the fold as a backup to AR? I know the experience factor is a plus for Minshew but I am thinking that if AR gets banged up again, instead of changing the playbook significantly, you could have another QB that uses his legs like Dobbs to not have to change things significantly

If Richardson were established and playing full seasons, I might think about finding a similar backup, but he's only played a handful of games himself.  If Richardson comes back and gets hurt again, if he's Trey Lance, I would imagine, stylistically, they would go in a different direction, and it might be a new GM making that decision.

• Like 1