Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Around the league (Coaching News)

Happy2BeHere

Yeah, I was surprised they fired him. They never got him a real starting QB, and it looks like the only hole on the team, they have weapons a decent OL a great RB and a solid defense. Ridder was just a turnover machine

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I wonder who will be next

Not a firing but I think we might get the first full time hire real fast.

Sure seems like the Raiders are setting up to remove the interim tag from Pierce’s job title and IMO it’s the right move.

• Like 5

Guys to watch tomorrow:  (spoiler I don’t think I am breaking any news with these they are the ones that have been reported might happen)

Patriots

Commanders

Titans

That’s not including the Panthers, Chargers, Raiders, and now Falcons jobs that are already open.

There is always one surprise and I think two to watch for that are the Saints and Vikings.

Guys who probably aren’t 100% safe but I would be shocked if they get fired include the Jets, Giants, and Jags.  There is also the chance Jerry makes a change in Dallas if the Cowboys lay another post season egg.

Clearly not ALL of those will happen but it’s something to watch.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Guys to watch tomorrow:  (spoiler I don’t think I am breaking any news with these they are the ones that have been reported might happen)

Patriots

Commanders

Titans

That’s not including the Panthers, Chargers, Raiders, and now Falcons jobs that are already open.

There is always one surprise and I think two to watch for that are the Saints and Vikings.

Guys who probably aren’t 100% safe but I would be shocked if they get fired include the Jets, Giants, and Jags.  There is also the chance Jerry makes a change in Dallas if the Cowboys lay another post season egg.

Clearly not ALL of those will happen but it’s something to watch.  

Yes it will be interesting for sure. I think the one I’m most curious about is probably the titans followed by the patriots. If they move on from Vrabel and BB respectively it will be interesting on where those two coaches land (assuming they stay in the league).

Sure seems like the Raiders are setting up to remove the interim tag from Pierce’s job title and IMO it’s the right move.

I think he will only get the job if Davis can’t find a huge splashy name to take the job. Someone like BB (if he becomes available) or even Harbaugh. 

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Nah, Vikings don't fire coaches that quickly. Kevin O'Connell went 13-4 last year. This year was a bad year.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Bears. They have a GM who inherited the head coach who has not had any success. They also have a new team president who may also want to make a change.

(Later) I just saw your post that Eberflus is staying. That is a huge surprise. But I like that. I think teams fire coaches without giving them enough time to turn things around. I think they should replace the OC.

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Hopefully the Raiders learned a lesson from not retaining former interim head coach Rich Bisaccia who did a very good job after Gruden was fired.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Wink Martindale the Giants defensive coordinator has stepped down. Interesting.

@w87r mentioned the a few days ago Wink and Daboll might not be seeing eye to eye.   I'm guessing he won't be unemployed long

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

@w87r mentioned the a few days ago Wink and Daboll might not be seeing eye to eye.   I'm guessing he won't be unemployed long

Thanks. Wasn’t aware of it. So basically things change in the “wink” of an eye haha 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

It is official. Rivera was fired today.

KC Chiefs fans might be the happiest because I heard new Washington owner Josh Harris hired former Golden State Warriors GM Bob Myers, and former Vikings GM Spielman to lead the GM/HC search.

This probably means Eric Bieniemy may not get the HC gig, which probably means Eric goes back to the Chiefs in an Assistant HC capacity and calls plays for them again to get rid of the Matt Nagy stain that the Chiefs so badly want.

39 minutes ago, chad72 said:

KC Chiefs fans might be the happiest because I heard new Washington owner Josh Harris hired former Golden State Warriors GM Bob Myers, and former Vikings GM Spielman to lead the GM/HC search.

Okay, only to lead the search. Hopefully Rick does not take the job. I'm a huge fan of Rick Spielman. I think @VikingsFanInChennai likes Rick too.

Why would Chiefs fans be happy? Everyone thought the offense was due to Andy Reid.

Awfully quiet in New England, and the Pats local reporter was on Dan Patrick last week and said BB and Kraft’s meeting would be today.  Makes me wonder if BB was able to pull a Pagano in his meeting today and convince Kraft to let him stay and they are figuring out how.  

Awfully quiet in New England, and the Pats local reporter was on Dan Patrick last week and said BB and Kraft’s meeting would be today.  Makes me wonder if BB was able to pull a Pagano in his meeting today and convince Kraft to let him stay and they are figuring out how.  

Given their draft position, BB might have said “let’s get Josh McDaniels back in here, Nick Caserio as GM that I will agree to, let’s draft a rookie QB and let’s move up for Caleb Williams and we can turn it around”. Just speculating. :) 

36 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I hope they don’t fire him, I think losing all the assistant coaches last offseason finally caught up to them. A lot of fans are mad at the offensive playcalling and defensive playcalling. I could see them move on from both Coordinators and some position coaches this offseason. I would look to Duce Staley returning to Philadelphia as a possible OC or RB coach, he’s been one of my favorite coaches for awhile. As for the defense maybe they will go after Ryan Nielson 

• Like 1

The Jaguars have fired their defensive coordinator Mike Caldwell and his staff. I know they had a big collapse after going 8-3 but it’s not as much their defense as it was their offense in that last downhill slope of the season. 

I’m a little surprised by this.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jaguars-fire-defensive-coordinator-mike-caldwell-his-staff-after-two-seasons

3 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

The Jaguars have fired their defensive coordinator Mike Caldwell and his staff. I know they had a big collapse after going 8-3 but it’s not as much their defense as it was their offense in that last downhill slope of the season. 

I’m a little surprised by this.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jaguars-fire-defensive-coordinator-mike-caldwell-his-staff-after-two-seasons

I guess Pederson did not want to blame his offense. His offense was more to blame in the Titans game. Trevor threw at least two INTs.

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

Given their draft position, BB might have said “let’s get Josh McDaniels back in here, Nick Caserio as GM that I will agree to, let’s draft a rookie QB and let’s move up for Caleb Williams and we can turn it around”. Just speculating. :) 

Hey, just read this after I posted this yesterday:

https://www.patspulpit.com/2024/1/9/24031218/josh-mcdaniels-return-patriots-bill-belichick-rumors

A Belichick-McDaniels reunion rumored.... :) 

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hey, just read this after I posted this yesterday:

https://www.patspulpit.com/2024/1/9/24031218/josh-mcdaniels-return-patriots-bill-belichick-rumors

A Belichick-McDaniels reunion rumored.... :) 

yea no one else wants McDaniels so what else is there for him… the OC/playcalling position has been a mess since he left this last go round in New England. Not that he will really help it much..he just isn’t that great of a coach.

23 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

yea no one else wants McDaniels so what else is there for him… the OC/playcalling position has been a mess since he left this last go round in New England. Not that he will really help it much..he just isn’t that great of a coach.

He is a good OC, tops but has crashed and burned in all his stints as HC. Going to Belichick would be like a succession plan, and going to the only place where he might be welcome. Mac Jones' best year was his Year 1 with McDaniels. Now that they are in a position to draft a better prospect, a good chance their offense might click again if BB and McDaniels are united and go with a rookie QB.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Bears have fired their offensive coordinator 

From the Athletic:

Matt Eberflus will return as coach of the Chicago Bears next season, a league source confirmed to The Athletic. But the Bears are making changes to their coaching staff as offensive coordinator Luke Getsy, quarterbacks coach Andrew Janocko and WR coach/passing game coordinator Tyke Tolbert have been fired, league sources confirm.

https://theathletic.com/5192782/2024/01/10/bears-matt-eberglus-return-luke-getsy-out?source=user-shared-article

https://sports.yahoo.com/wink-martindale-reportedly-cursed-out-brian-daboll-after-giants-defensive-staff-firings-144807623.html

Martindale spent two years as the Giants' defensive coordinator.

On Monday, Daboll said he expected Martindale and offensive coordinator Mike Kafka to return. But The Daily News' Pat Leonard reported later that day that Martindale had resigned as he seeks another defensive coordinator job or a head coaching role.

The funny thing about that? According to reports, Martindale, who has a year left on his contract for $3 million, has yet to notify the Giants of his departure

Paul Schwartz of the New York Post reported Daboll informed Martindale of the coaching changes during their Monday meeting. Martindale was not happy the Wilkins brothers, who followed him from the Baltimore Ravens to New York, were being let go as well.

From the New York Post:

On the sideline, it is Drew Wilkins helping Martindale with the personnel groupings and directing traffic for him.

Drew Wilkins helps Martindale devise the defensive schemes.

Martindale, angered by this news, cursed out Daboll, said his piece, got up, slammed the door and walked out of the building.

He notified those close to him he planned to resign.

1 hour ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Bears have fired their offensive coordinator 

57 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

If I am Eberflus I am calling Arthur Smith to come be the OC for the bears. I think Fields would fit well in his run and play-action heavy offense and if they move on from Fields his offense will help Caleb Williams in his first year.

29 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Pete Carroll out of Seattle 

This one is a stunner.  A few days ago he said he expected to be back and wanted to be back.   Don’t know what changed.  

I don’t believe he was fired.   He’s staying in the organization as an advisor.  That typically doesn’t happen when a team does the HC. 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This one is a stunner.  A few days ago he said he expected to be back and wanted to be back.   Don’t know what changed.  

I don’t believe he was fired.   He’s staying in the organization as an advisor.  That typically doesn’t happen when a team does the HC. 

Yeah, I think it has to be the organization wanting to move on, more than Pete wanting to take a step back from coaching.

It brings up the questions:

1. Are they afraid of losing one of their coordinators to be a head coach? Maybe Shane Waldron gets the promotion with Pete advising on the day to day as a head coach.

2. Did they want to make a push for someone recently fired? Vrabel would make sense

3. Is there a coordinator out there that they didn't want to miss out on as a HC? Dan Quinn returning to Seattle or maybe Ben Johnson rejuvenating Geno Smith like he did for Jared Goff.

• Like 1

CHICAGO BEARS - Retaining Matt Eberflus - Fired the Offensive Coordinator and 4 other members of the offensive staff.  Defensive Coordinator Alan Williams resigned during the season.  One of the priorities of a new DC will be gameday play calling

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - Coach Pete Carroll is no longer the head coach - but - will remain in an "advisor" capacity for the team

• Like 1