Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dayo

AwesomeAustin

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You should of known Paye was more a edge setter then pass rusher. He isn’t the speed guy every team needs. Speed rushers unfortunately are as hard to find as quarterbacks.

Yes, I did know.  Its what all of the tape and analysis said.  He would have to learn moves and bendiness after he gets to the NFL.  Just saying he's not the pass rusher you like to get with a high investment.  Basically, hasn't yet achieved the potential of bendiness and moves that you hope to get with the investment in "ceiling"

Like so many other things with the Colts.  Still patiently waiting.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes, I did know.  Its what all of the tape and analysis said.  He would have to learn moves and bendiness after he gets to the NFL.  Just saying he's not the pass rusher you like to get with a high investment.  Basically, hasn't yet achieved the potential of bendiness and moves that you hope to get with the investment in "ceiling"

The guys that every team need go in the top ten if not higher. Not 21.  I think once we get Richardson back and going next year we have enough as long as the secondary is fixed.  QB is  everything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The guys that every team need go in the top ten if not higher. Not 21.  I think once we get Richardson back and going next year we have enough as long as the secondary is fixed.  QB is  everything.

I don't believe anybody in this thread is complaining about Paye, Dayo, or their production as part of our d line.  I think its simply a benign discussion about where they stand relative to investment and expectations that come with it.  Some investments do better and some do less. It happens,  Its not personal. 

Its a good d line.  Hopefully somebody on the edge can emerge as a guy that needs frequent double teams.  That's what I was referring to with my still waiting comment.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't believe anybody in this thread is complaining about Paye, Dayo, or their production as part of our d line.  I think its simply a benign discussion about where they stand relative to investment and expectations that come with it.  Some investments do better and some do less. It happens,  Its not personal. 

Its a good d line.  Hopefully somebody on the edge can emerge as a guy that needs frequent double teams.  That's what I was referring to with my still waiting comment.

I agree…no one has said they are bad. I asked the original question to see if my POV is in line with other members bc I don’t watch tape anymore. Paye was added to the discussion but that makes sense bc they were drafted in consecutive rounds. Paye is worthy of his starting spot but not elite and Dayo is a high end backup. To me I think they are meeting the expectations I had for each of them. I do think they were each drafted a round early for how they are producing. That’s not a bad thing but the Colts need a 3 down DE that gets double digit sacks. I don’t think either of those guys will consistently do that ever. I do think Paye may hit 10 sacks 1-2 times in his career if he can stay healthy. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

And now the trade deadline is presenting the Colts with an opportunity to finally secure one of these young fast edge rushers that are reportedly being made available.  They usually go in the top ten.  If Ballard really wants one Tuesdays deadline might finally give him a chance to get one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

And now the trade deadline is presenting the Colts with an opportunity to finally secure one of these young fast edge rushers that are reportedly being made available.  They usually go in the top ten.  If Ballard really wants one Tuesdays deadline might finally give him a chance to get one.

Would be funny if Sweat became a colt after all. One of them will probably be traded. Since we have our QB and what looks like our LT this is the year I don’t mind giving up our first. I just saw DL is not very good in the draft. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Drafts typically have 15 up to 20 sure fire first rd graded draft prospects.

Then roughly 20-40 ish sure 2nd rd picks. 

Kwity at 21 was Ballard's highest graded player on his board we are to believe and a much-needed DE/pass rusher. 

There is a long list Doug of players drafted #1 -10 that were huge misses. 20/20 hindsight is a game for losers.

It is of even lower form when the story is not yet written.

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let’s not forget that Dayo’s first year was wiped out by a torn Achilles.  

And his second year was mostly about getting back into playing shape.   

I personally think of this year as Dayo’s first full healthy year.   And yet….   For reasons that I don’t understand, Dayo showed up this year weighing 286.   That’s 3-tech weight and yet he plays mostly the pass rushing RDE which is NOT his best position.   As I’ve written before, Dayo plays the spot because that’s where’s he’s needed, not because it’s his best position.   He shares it with Ebukam who gets the majority of the snaps.    So to me, Dayo plays out of position for the good of the team.   

I hope Dayo plays better this year, but I think his situation is far more complicated than simply being a good pick or a bad pick.   I also hope we’ll see an even better Dayo next season.  

That’s enough delayed gratification for one player. 

well put

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Who is available?

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The problem trading for guys like Chase Young or Montez Sweat isn’t the trade for them.    It’s turning around and signing them to a big contract which they will want.  

Because if you trade for a guy like that and don’t get a long deal done then all you’re doing is renting one of these guys for half a season.   That’s not Ballard’s way.  

And signing them is difficult which is in part why their original team is willing to trade them right now.    They want to be paid big money and their original team has decided they’re not worth it.   It’s hard to see Ballard paying either guy to a big contract.    Young has had several injuries and his play has fallen off.   Sweat had a heart condition which is reportedly why the Colts didn’t draft him in 2019.  

All of this is simply to say, getting a deal done for either guy is much more complicated then it might seem. 

19 hours ago, Nickster said:

Paye is very consistent.  He's just not much of a pass rusher.  He's a decent football player setting an edge and cleaning up the gargabe.

I would agree with that.

He is really good at setting the edge

But....... We need to upgrade the pass rush in the offseason

This team is doing MUCH better than I hoped for this year.

Why not make a run for 2024?

I really think we need to fill in the gaps in the offseason, and with some health at QB we can be dangerous

Needs for 2024 (Along with health)

1) Stud separation type WR (Draft)

2) Pass rush end - (I would trade some future picks to get an immediate difference maker)

We will have a bit of cap to pull this off

3) Play making Safety -  We been lacking this for awhile

4) LB depth, future starter.....   

4) CB depth

5) OL depth

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem trading for guys like Chase Young or Montez Sweat isn’t the trade for them.    It’s turning around and signing them to a big contract which they will want.  

Because if you trade for a guy like that and don’t get a long deal done then all you’re doing is renting one of these guys for half a season.   That’s not Ballard’s way.  

And signing them is difficult which is in part why their original team is willing to trade them right now.    They want to be paid big money and their original team has decided they’re not worth it.   It’s hard to see Ballard paying either guy to a big contract.    Young has had several injuries and his play has fallen off.   Sweat had a heart condition which is reportedly why the Colts didn’t draft him in 2019.  

All of this is simply to say, getting a deal done for either guy is much more complicated then it might seem. 

Ballard immediately signed Buckner to a long term deal when he traded for him.  I would expect him to do the same thing if he acquired one of ER’s.  Every team has their own circumstances to deal with when signing a player.  What could be a reason for them not to sign them might not be the same for Ballard.  

On 10/27/2023 at 10:51 PM, throwing BBZ said:

Drafts typically have 15 up to 20 sure fire first rd graded draft prospects.

Then roughly 20-40 ish sure 2nd rd picks. 

Kwity at 21 was Ballard's highest graded player on his board we are to believe and a much-needed DE/pass rusher. 

There is a long list Doug of players drafted #1 -10 that were huge misses. 20/20 hindsight is a game for losers.

It is of even lower form when the story is not yet written.

As if I don’t know that.  Do you know who you’re talking to sport?  

Not yet written.   Synonymous with still waiting.  

On 10/28/2023 at 12:10 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed. Teams such as KC, Eagles or another top team  will make a trade for Young or Sweat. They may give up a 2nd but get a 3rd back as a comp pick when they sign that next contract somewhere else.

On 10/26/2023 at 11:40 PM, compuls1v3 said:

Has a tendency to whiff on the QB when chasing them down,  takes bad angles,   Needs some consistency for good play.  Seems average to me.  May develop, but sucks since he was a 2nd round pick who Ballard toted was a first rounder.

ballard has missed on all of his pass rush picks, why? i dont know

• Like 1