Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Rams post game thread

Solid84

21 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Steichen learning how to win as well.  I would have gone for the 3 as well, but who knows what happens after that?  We may

have gone the rest of the game without any more scores.  Can't predict it.  Just have to live with it.

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That field goal missed and not taking 3 points proved to be costly. Bur that is just hindsight.

I have the same philosophy @MB-ColtsFan. If we kick that fg than the Rams have a completely different drive and if we stop them we start with different field position, so that touchdown may not even happen. I trust Steichen, he showed he knows when to go for it or kick fgs last week when we kicked a ton of them.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

For life of me I don’t understand why Dayo did not play 3 tech with Buckner out. The other two did not cut it

One sack. The other was on Richardson. They held up pretty well.

Can't go off just sacks the low sack number was because he constantly had to avoid a sack and roll out. I would be curious what the pressure/hurry rate was.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think Steichen learned a lot from that second half and hopefully this offense gets opened up now. Richardson had some big plays down field.

Everyone is 2-2. Taylor should be back.  Ballard needs to see if he can find help with this defense.

We're currently #1 in the division with -2 net points. Thank God for the AFC South.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nope. Because if it were that simple, then more than one rookie receiver would be this good this year. Someone like Zay Flowers would be breaking out today with Beckham and Bateman out. Quentin Johnson would be breaking out without Mike Williams. There's a lack of talent on the Giants at WR and Jalin Hyatt can't break out except a couple catches a game where it takes two or more deep passes to put up a decent statline.

What is it about Puka that tells u he has elite traits? It is the system.

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Do u ever ask yourself this. Maybe Kupp and Puka are not elite and maybe just coached by an elite coach who knows  how to use him? Puka is just a guy at the right spot at the right time. 

lol come on man to say Kupp isn't elite is crazy, Puka I understand because he is a rookie but he is looking pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

What is it about Puka that tells u he has elite traits? It is the system.

He has elite route running, he almost always catches the ball when thrown to him. He runs great angles so defenders have a harder time catching him. Great awareness on the field. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I have the same philosophy @MB-ColtsFan. If we kick that fg than the Rams have a completely different drive and if we stop them we start with different field position, so that touchdown may not even happen. I trust Steichen, he showed he knows when to go for it or kick fgs last week when we kicked a ton of them.

Can't go off just sacks the low sack number was because he constantly had to avoid a sack and roll out. I would be curious what the pressure/hurry rate was.

At the time it was the right decision when your that far behind.

• Like 1

Good:

- AR, he had some throws that could’ve been better, he did have the fumble, but without him we’re not in this game at all.  3 TDs.  2 on the ground, 1 in the air.  He showed heart.  And not to mention, HE PLAYED ALL 4 QTRS!  Is his arm as good as strouds, no but his talent level is.  Improve on the accuracy and he’ll be fine

- Ogletree, made some tough catches out there.  3 recs and 48yds.  He looked good and tough today.

- Shane playcalling, yeah he went for it when he should’ve kicked the field goal, but his playcalling was overall good today.  Loved the one instance where he used the run before to set up the td on the next play.  His half time adjustments were on point.  

- Rushing Attack, over 100yds today on the ground.  Zack Moss had a respectable 70yds with 3.9YPC while AR had 56yds and 2 TDs.  Besides the fumble, can’t complain.  Maybe some more touches for moss in the first half but I won’t make a big deal out of it.

- Dayo, he played REALLY good today.  PD, 1.5 sacks, FF, and combined for 8 tackles.  

Bad

- Shane going for it, I’ll say it again for Shane like I said for frank, your coach can’t be one of the reasons why you lose a game.  Shane, this is his second time being mentioned.  TAKE THE POINTs.  I get the 4th down call but once again, this isn’t the eagles.  We aren’t there yet.  First half, take the damn points.

- Defense, a combination of Gus playcalling and sloppy play.  Penalties, missed tackles, missed assignments, soft coverage.  We let Matt pick us apart knowing how bad our DBs are and we made puka look like the second coming of Justin Jefferson.  Don’t know why we didn’t blitz as much in the first half when we saw how well it worked for us against the ravens.  

- Receivers (outside of ogletree), VERY bad day.  I personally counted 6 drops.  Receivers weren’t getting open.  And when they did, they dropped it.  I get it, AR isn’t the most accurate QB, but when the ball hits your hands, you have to catch it.  That’s what separates GOOD from BAD.  Bad games by Pierce, Pittman, and Granson.  I won’t include Downs because as usual, once he starts flashing, defenses key in on him and he disappears.

- Defensive Backs, they deserve to get mentioned twice.  We knew that this group was going to be the downfall of the defense, but wow.  Outside of Brents and sometimes, the defensive backs couldn’t keep anyone in front of them.  Next year, our first two picks need to be wide receiver and a defensive back.

- Matt Gay, highest paid kicker in the league.  You have to make 47 yard field goals.  No excuses.  

- offensive line, we knew it was going to be bad. But wow, AR was probably pressured on every throw.  Good thing he has good pocket awareness because minshew might’ve been mince meat behind that line.  Freeland is definitely not ready.  He needs the same weight program ramainn got.

overall:  I’m happy with this game.  We clearly came out getting smacked in the mouth.  But this team is progressing.  And for this year, that’s all I want to see.  We get JT back next week who is by far our most explosive player on offense.  So let’s see how AR and JT look together.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Why was he a 5th round pick? 

Because of his size. He's also not extremely fast. 4.57 40

Teams miss out on picks in the first few rounds all the time. That's not a valid excuse anymore. Brock Purdy was just the last pick in the draft last year and is the starting QB on the 49ers. You know this. You know plenty of teams miss on gems.

• Like 1

Good:

-AR looks like the total package, and he’s only 21

-Better game from Flowers today

-Steichen dials it up nice 

Bad:

-Secondary got torched again. Nacua is good but these the same guys that gave Nico Collins his best stat line

-Run defense was a rare miss today.

-I will say it again, this teams needs an explosive #1 receiver

-Pierce is good for one big catch a game, and one drop. Can not make a contested catch to save his life

-Leonard

-Depth issues strike again 

Bottom Line: I’m starting to notice a trend where it seems a lot of our players peak after 2-3 seasons. Leonard, Nelson, Blackmon, Pittman, Thomas, etc..

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Teams miss out on picks in the first few rounds all the time. That's not a valid excuse anymore. Brock Purdy was just the last pick in the draft last year and is the starting QB on the 49ers. You know this. You know plenty of teams miss on gems.

Again,   it goes back to great coaching.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He's actually 6'2, so nm on the size. It must be his speed, where a 4.57 was 34th among wrs in that class.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He has elite route running, he almost always catches the ball when thrown to him. He runs great angles so defenders have a harder time catching him. Great awareness on the field. 

Lol. Then if he is so elite, throw him out there on the outside and see how he does against the opposing teams best corner

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Lol. Then if he is so elite, throw him out there on the outside and see how he does against the opposing teams best corner

He has been for a few games already. Kupp has been on the IR. He's ahead of Tutu Atwell and Van Jefferson on the depth chart now.

So does his success lead you to believe in elite talent or great scheme?

Talent, he seems to do everything else well.  And also, he looks faster than 4.57.  He has strong hands also.  While Pittman looks every bit of his 40 time, puka does not.  And then also good scheme because Mcvay isn’t a slouch.  People can bring up stafford, but I always a receiver still has to get open.  

He is schemed open consistently.   Wes Welker, Edelman.  Neither were elite,  but caught a lot of balls

It will be interesting to see how our view points look in a year or 2. you may be right but I don't think so

• Like 1

I know Richardson has his own issues with accuracy and pace of his throws, but game after game after game our pass-catchers are not helping him at all. We need better, more reliable weapons in the pass game. I keep repeating this and I will keep repeating it ... until we draft MHJ... 

• Like 6

Just now, stitches said:

I know Richardson has his own issues with accuracy and pace of his throws, but game after game after game our pass-catchers are not helping him at all. We need better, more reliable weapons in the pass game. I keep repeating this and I will keep repeating it ... until we draft MHJ... 

we aren’t going to draft Harrison. I don’t think the pass catchers were bad today. 

I think Moss is good but he is a RB#2 in reality. I could only imagine AR and Taylor and Moss together. That would be a 3 headed monster. Taylor's ability to break a long one to the house would make a huge difference. In the 2 games we lost, we really haven't had that huge play ability. I honestly believe if Taylor was playing, we would be 4-0. I say that not being a Homer Homer Reaction GIF by MOODMAN- I am just basing it off on the 1 or 2 BIG plays JT can make that would give us an extra score or a crucial 1st down. People can hate on JT all they want but I am stating what I believe and both games we lost, we lacked a homerun hitter. 

44 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I can see why Ballard was trying to gets a receiver in any trade for Taylor.  You can’t count on Pierce.  Too many drops for me.

Or Pittman.  1 rec, 15yds for a number one receiver.  Yeah, the PI wasn’t called but I don’t trust Pittman to even catch that.  Outside of that reception and the uncalled PI, he was gone.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Agreed I'm gonna be praying that we steal another move from the eagles and we bring in a 1st round WR plus a high end veteran with Steichen Ballard has broken his drafting mould with Downs now to break another trend and find a way to bring in an elite WR through FA or a trade.

• Like 1

Just now, smittywerb said:

Or Pittman.  1 rec, 15yds for a number one receiver.  Yeah, the PI wasn’t called but I don’t trust Pittman to even catch that.  Outside of that reception and the uncalled PI, he was gone.

When the qb makes 1 read and runs, wrs aren't going to get many catches.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I'm not dodging anything.   Do you think Wes Welker was elite?  

Yes, he was elite. He had elite hands, elite route running, elite awareness on the field. Brady may have helped him look good, but that doesn't mean you could throw any random WR in there and he could have done what Welker could have done. Welker is a borderline HOFer. That's why there's busts and hits at all positions. Being in the right scheme helps, but it isn't the be all end all. Talent ultimately separates players in the end.

• Like 1