Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Colts vs Texans preview

Restinpeacesweetchloe

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Smith was out of practice today. Hopefully he is ok.

Texans have a lot of injuries. Hopefully colts can take advantage.

The Colts always like to give important starting players time off from practice, Smith should be ok.

But even if he's completely healthy, Smith will be tested against Anderson

• Like 2

Y’know, I looked up predictions for this game, and nobody made the huge point that Houston’s OL is critically unhealthy right now.  They lost their staring RT (Fant) during the game Sunday, and he was their highest rated OL.  They’re likely shifting Josh Jones, who’s been on the team for 3 weeks and started at LG Sunday, to RT for our game.  And a player who only played ST last year will start at LG…

I don’t like their chances of doing anything on offense if Buckner, Zaire, Grover, and Shaqius Leonard are dominating them…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Archer said:

Y’know, I looked up predictions for this game, and nobody made the huge point that Houston’s OL is critically unhealthy right now.  They lost their staring RT (Fant) during the game Sunday, and he was their highest rated OL.  They’re likely shifting Josh Jones, who’s been on the team for 3 weeks and started at LG Sunday, to RT for our game.  And a player who only played ST last year will start at LG…

I don’t like their chances of doing anything on offense if Buckner, Zaire, Grover, and Shaqius Leonard are dominating them…

It’s bad. They have a bunch of other injuries too. As long as defense plays like last week and the offense doesn’t turn the ball over I like our chances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is one game I expect to win and will be disappointed if we don’t. We have a better team then the Texans.

I don't "expect" to win. But I do believe this years team can win.

Keep thinking back of the last game (of last season) ...with 50 seconds left, 4th down and 20, when Rodney Thomas mistimed his jump, and the Texans get a TD, then make a two point conversion for the win. Absolutely ridiculous.

Lets hope Steichen doesn't have any games like that one.

• Like 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/anthony-richardson-vs-c-j-stroud-will-be-a-rare-pair-of-21-year-old-starting-qbs

Per article above:

"For just the second time in NFL history, a pair of 21-year-old starting quarterbacks will meet on Sunday.

The only other game in NFL history when both starting quarterbacks were younger than 22 was the Week One Bucs-Titans game in 2015, when Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota were the starters.

Stroud was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2023 NFL draft and Richardson was the No. 4 pick. This will be the seventh time in NFL history that two rookie starting quarterbacks taken in the Top 5 picks will face off."

There will be an 8th, 9th and 10th time this season.

As we play Stroud again, and Young

Texans play Richardson again, and Young

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/anthony-richardson-vs-c-j-stroud-will-be-a-rare-pair-of-21-year-old-starting-qbs

Per article above:

"For just the second time in NFL history, a pair of 21-year-old starting quarterbacks will meet on Sunday.

The only other game in NFL history when both starting quarterbacks were younger than 22 was the Week One Bucs-Titans game in 2015, when Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota were the starters.

Stroud was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2023 NFL draft and Richardson was the No. 4 pick. This will be the seventh time in NFL history that two rookie starting quarterbacks taken in the Top 5 picks will face off."

There will be an 8th, 9th and 10th time this season.

As we play Stroud again, and Young

Texans play Richardson again, and Young

Richardson and stroud both said today they have been friends for awhile. The 3 rookie QB have a lot of matchups against each other this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Nelson is practicing on side with trainer.

Colts get Cloudy Quenton Nelson injury status

https://clutchpoints.com/colts-news-indianapolis-cloudy-quenton-nelson-injury-status-texans-matchup

...However, as they gear up for their second game of the season against the Houston Texans, it looks like they may have to begin preparing for being without star offensive lineman Quenton Nelson...

...Nelson still has time to log some sort of practice activity on Friday, but missing two practices in a row isn't a great sign. It is worth noting that Nelson managed to return to the game after suffering the injury against the Jaguars, but it may be worse than expected now that the medical staff has had some time to look at it.

If Nelson can't go, it looks like Josh Sills, who briefly filled in for Nelson in Week 1, would end up drawing the start for Indianapolis. Having to turn to Sills would obviously be less than ideal, but Nelson's injury may ultimately force the Colts hand. Nelson still has one shot to return to practice on Friday, but things aren't looking very good for him right now.

New coaching staffs for both teams!!

New faces in new places!!

Rookie QB's for both teams!!

BUT - you knew there would be a but - didn't you??

BUT - the Colts are much farther along in our re-tooling process - AND - we have more veteran leadership than the Texans do at this time.

COLTS WIN BY TAMING THE TEXANS!!

• Like 3

https://www.battleredblog.com/2023/9/13/23872561/texans-vs-colts-injury-report-several-starters-miss-practice-nfl

Starting safeties Jalen Pitre and Jimmie Ward were both not practicing today, and it would be a shock to see either of them play on Sunday. Starting left tackle Laremy Tunsil did not practice on Wednesday, but it is being reported that it was also a rest day for Tunsil, according to NFL Reporter Aaron Wilson.

On 9/13/2023 at 3:57 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s bad. They have a bunch of other injuries too. As long as defense plays like last week and the offense doesn’t turn the ball over I like our chances.

You can add, be better on 3rd down conversions.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.battleredblog.com/2023/9/13/23872561/texans-vs-colts-injury-report-several-starters-miss-practice-nfl

Starting safeties Jalen Pitre and Jimmie Ward were both not practicing today, and it would be a shock to see either of them play on Sunday. Starting left tackle Laremy Tunsil did not practice on Wednesday, but it is being reported that it was also a rest day for Tunsil, according to NFL Reporter Aaron Wilson.

Maybe he will be able to go down field more.

25 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe he will be able to go down field more.

Looks like Eric Murray will get the start.

They were not too happy with the contract extension of Murray in this piece. 

https://www.battleredblog.com/2022/3/17/22982767/2022-nfl-free-agency-houston-texans-extend-eric-murray-to-a-two-year-extension

2022 NFL Free Agency: Houston Texans Sign Eric Murray To Two-Year Contract Extension

What are we even doing here?

... No one knew who Murray was, no one knew why he received the contract he did. This plan failed. The Texans won four games, and they had one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL once again.

Entering this offseason the Texans could have cut Murray to save $5.4 million in cap space. This was expected. Murray isn’t good at anything. He can’t play man coverage, he doesn’t tackle well, he doesn’t break on the ball and create turnovers or negative plays. He doesn’t do much of anything...

...Houston is extending Murray to a two-year extension worth a maximum of $10 million.

Safety, cornerback, all of it is bad. Pass coverage, tackling, all of it bad. This doesn’t matter. None of it matters. Nothing matters. The only thing that does is that the Texans like him.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

IMG_1546.jpeg

Is he saying the LT, LG,  Center, and RT may all be backups?

I get Tunsil may not play, but why are all these other oline replacements? The only other injury I see to the line besides Tunsil is RT George Fant who fully practiced yesterday. 

All I can figure is there are quite a few OL on Injured Reserve. Perhaps they were supposed to be the starters?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/hou/houston-texans

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Is he saying the LT, LG,  Center, and RT may all be backups?

I get Tunsil may not play, but why are all these other oline replacements? The only other injury I see to the line besides Tunsil is RT George Fant who fully practiced yesterday. 

All I can figure is there are quite a few OL on Injured Reserve. Perhaps they were supposed to be the starters?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/hou/houston-texans

They have some starters on IR.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They have some starters on IR.

Yeah. I found this video from before the season opener.

This guy explains the situation with the Texans line. 

He goes on to say, that he has some confidence in the two backup guards, thinks the guard position is solid. But has serious doubts regarding the center and RT positions. and this is assuming LT Tunsil plays.

Houston Texans New Offensive Line! 3 Starters Out!

• Like 1