Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

College football 2023 thread

Looked like a typical Big 12 game with little defense. Michael Penix Jr. though, he throws dimes and if he goes to the right NFL team with good schemes, he can make it work. But the talent level being lop sided for skill positions in his favor, he won’t find that on many NFL teams. I just don’t like the pace on his check downs towards the sidelines, might get him in trouble at the NFL level, I feel.

Still, I think Bama or Michigan will be the more physical team whose winner will win it all, IMO.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Looked like a typical Big 12 game with little defense. Michael Penix Jr. though, he throws dimes and if he goes to the right NFL team with good schemes, he can make it work. But the talent level being lop sided for skill positions in his favor, he won’t find that on many NFL teams. I just don’t like the pace on his check downs towards the sidelines, might get him in trouble at the NFL level, I feel.

Still, I think Bama or Michigan will be the more physical team whose winner will win it all, IMO.

I had Michigan and Washington both winning. Michael Penix is the best QB in college football, I have been saying it all season. He throws dimes in a pro-style offense. All anyone talks about is Caleb Williams and Drake Maye. Penix is better than both and people will see that next year. Penix not winning Heisman was a big rip off as well.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Vikings are inching closer to the range where he could be available or where they won't have to give up too much to get him.

I'm sure there would be lot of teams in that range vying for the same privilege. 

On 1/1/2024 at 3:36 PM, RockThatBlue said:

I think Bama wins and Texas wins so mine is the opposite of yours lol. But I believe both should be good competitive games. 

I had the same feeling as you, so it's a good thing I don't bet on games.  I was happy to see two competitive games with no blowouts.  Hoping for an equally good championship game, I'm not sure which team to pull for.  I like Harbaugh, but I've been to several Washington games at Seattle, cool stadium, you can take a boat to Husky stadium.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

17-10, Phone call: = is Mr Penix in please, Mr Penix that is haha . Bullet pass for the TD.

I turned it off for a while. What is the score now?

Are you impressed with anyone in particular? There was a RB for Michigan who looked impressive.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I turned it off for a while. What is the score now?

Are you impressed with anyone in particular? There was a RB for Michigan who looked impressive.

I took tonight off work, you should see my mother, I am at her house right now. She loves Jim Harbaugh. We met him back in 1996 during the Chargers game and mom and I talked to him, and I got his autograph. She rarely gets into a game anymore and she is yelling and screaming every time Michigan makes a big play. Now she says she can't watch it because the game is close and she is nervous so she is in the Kitchen. She just broke out the Wine, I am drinking Crown haha . She just ask me if Michigan scored again, I told her Washington did, she yelled at me chuckling homer simpson GIF, told me to shut up lmao . Mom is something else.

• Like 1

Still anyone's game 20-13 Michigan, I told mom, Penix just through a bomb for a TD, she said "I am not watching it anymore, they just want Jim to lose". I was like just joking, she gave me a dirty look haha . She is on Facebook in the Kitchen lmao . This is classic. It is great to have a mom that still acts like she is 40. 

• Like 1

Harbaugh wins everywhere he goes. Hottest name in the NFL coaching circles but he has it really good there at Michigan without the stress of proving himself again. If I were him, I’d coach there 10 more years and call it a day.

• Like 3

Mom is great, she loves this celebration. She said what wins football games is having a great Offensive Line, it is like building a house, it is the foundation of a team like a house lmao . She has a point, Michigan had 303 rushing yards and had holes you can drive a dump truck through. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mom is great, she loves this celebration. She said what wins football games is having a great Offensive Line, it is like building a house, it is the foundation of a team like a house lmao

She's absolutely right. You folks underestimate women. Just kidding but it is partly true. Lol

That was a good analogy. A house needs a solid foundation to withstand the elements, bad weather, etc. It is like a Christmas tree. It is all nicely decorated, but the part that allows it to stand is the base. The base does not show but without it, the tree won't stand. A QB is like the Star at the top of a tree.  The trenches are the foundation that allows the skill players to succeed. 

Congrats to Michigan. Lots of Michigan alums in my town. They are happy tonight.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Penix looked like he was playing with an injury since the 1st Qtr. He took a hit early and got up holding his right side. I noticed it. At the end of the game he could barely walk. 

It is Jim's night. I am glad Michigan won, big Harbaugh fan here.

Penix Jr. had a great season, is a great kid. I do think he’s a Day 2 QB for the 2nd or 3rd round and is a Geno Smith like QB if someone surrounds him with talent and believes in him.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Penix Jr. had a great season, is a great kid. I do think he’s a Day 2 QB for the 2nd or 3rd round and is a Geno Smith like QB if someone surrounds him with talent and believes in him.

IMO, to me Penix Jr. should be at worse the 3rd QB taken. Last night doesn't change my mind. He had 1 bad game in 15 games. It was against Michigan who has a great defense. I have watched him, Caleb Willliams, and Drake Maye all season closely. Many thought Williams would be the QB playing in last night's game and USC didn't even finish in the top 20. I have seen Caleb Williams lay 3 or 4 eggs this year, same for Maye. Based on talent alone, Caleb should be the 1st taken and Maye 2nd, I don't debate that. Most would agree with that. I have Penix Jr being the 3rd best based on the year he had and he is pretty talented as well. Penix Jr is better than McCarthy despite last night. Michigan won because they controlled the Line of Scrimmage and rushed for 303 yards. Penix Jr should be taken higher than McCarthy and Nix IMO. Penix Jr outplayed Nix twice and his team beat Oregon both times. Penix Jr also outplayed Williams and his team beat USC when USC was rated. McCarthy reminds of AJ McCarron = above average = was on a loaded team with the best O.Line in college football. Daniels is a hell of a talent but isn't the passer that Penix Jr is.

On 1/8/2024 at 11:15 PM, chad72 said:

Harbaugh wins everywhere he goes. Hottest name in the NFL coaching circles but he has it really good there at Michigan without the stress of proving himself again. If I were him, I’d coach there 10 more years and call it a day.

He is a god in Michigan now.  He can enjoy the recruiting that will be bolstered and enjoy 10 years.  

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 11:34 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO, to me Penix Jr. should be at worse the 3rd QB taken. Last night doesn't change my mind. He had 1 bad game in 15 games. It was against Michigan who has a great defense. I have watched him, Caleb Willliams, and Drake Maye all season closely. Many thought Williams would be the QB playing in last night's game and USC didn't even finish in the top 20. I have seen Caleb Williams lay 3 or 4 eggs this year, same for Maye. Based on talent alone, Caleb should be the 1st taken and Maye 2nd, I don't debate that. Most would agree with that. I have Penix Jr being the 3rd best based on the year he had and he is pretty talented as well. Penix Jr is better than McCarthy despite last night. Michigan won because they controlled the Line of Scrimmage and rushed for 303 yards. Penix Jr should be taken higher than McCarthy and Nix IMO. Penix Jr outplayed Nix twice and his team beat Oregon both times. Penix Jr also outplayed Williams and his team beat USC when USC was rated. McCarthy reminds of AJ McCarron = above average = was on a loaded team with the best O.Line in college football. Daniels is a hell of a talent but isn't the passer that Penix Jr is.

No doubt to me that Penix Jr. is No.3 on the list.

I do feel he will be in the Top of Round 2 category for teams like the Falcons, Broncos, Vikings etc. when it is all said and done, pretty much where Geno Smith went. If he is there after Round 1, just like the Titans did for Will Levis at the top of Round 2, there will be a team that moves up (possible it is from one of the above 3) to draft him there.

Pac 12 Ds don't have Ds like Michigan and Alabama, IMO, and those are the Ds that put a hurt on QBs like the title game showed, and are closer to what you will see in the NFL where hits are doled out by grown men. 

• Like 1