Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign LB Genard Avery

1959Colts

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/01/colts-sign-genard-avery-waive-darius-hagans/

...Avery spent last season with the Buccaneers, appearing in nine games. He finished with a sack, one tackle for loss, and five QB hits in 72 defensive snaps and 164 special teams snaps.

Avery was a fifth-round pick by the Browns in 2018. He recorded 4.5 sacks as a rookie but fell out of favor under Cleveland’s next coaching staff and was traded to the Eagles midway through the 2019 season.

He played with Philadelphia through 2021, recording 3.0 sacks in 35 games with the Eagles. While he signed with the Steelers as a free agent in March 2022, he was released in August.

As a corresponding roster move, the Colts waived running back Darius Hagans...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember him from the 2018 draft class. This pickup has Steichen written all over it. I think he's solid depth, and I'm all for it considering we didn't get a true EDGE in the draft this year (Adebawore is more of a tweener IMO). I'm a bit worried that we only have 5 RBs on the entire team now (I usually prefer 6 heading into training camp because of possible injuries and competition), but I'm going to guess we sign another UDFA or cut from another team to round it out to 6 again. 

Avery is a good depth piece that can compete immediately for a spot on the team. We'll see if he works out. Positive is you can have a couple veterans on the practice squad now, so if doesn't make the 53 and does well, we can still hold on to him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I remember him from the 2018 draft class. This pickup has Steichen written all over it. I think he's solid depth, and I'm all for it considering we didn't get a true EDGE in the draft this year (Adebawore is more of a tweener IMO). I'm a bit worried that we only have 5 RBs on the entire team now (I usually prefer 6 heading into training camp because of possible injuries and competition), but I'm going to guess we sign another UDFA or cut from another team to round it out to 6 again. 

Avery is a good depth piece that can compete immediately for a spot on the team. We'll see if he works out. Positive is you can have a couple veterans on the practice squad now, so if doesn't make the 53 and does well, we can still hold on to him.

Zavier Scott plays some RB too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would say off the ball linebackers are more so a need then RBs

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

I would say off the ball linebackers are more so a need then RBs

I would argue back that there is no definite no2 rb on this team we can count on behind Taylor as of now. Lot of candidates (and we drafted Hull), but as of now without hindsight, one Taylor injury and this offense is one dimensional with a raw passing QB that's more of a runner that's 21 years old.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would argue back that there is no definite no2 rb on this team we can count on behind Taylor as of now. Lot of candidates (and we drafted Hull), but as of now without hindsight, one Taylor injury and this offense is one dimensional with a raw passing QB that's more of a runner that's 21 years old.

Really?    I confess I didn’t see this coming from you.   I’m guessing you didn’t watch much late in the year because all the losing was so depressing.   

The name  I’m going to drop is Zac Moss.   He had a really good stretch with the Colts.   He’s not splashy or flashy,  but DAMN,  he runs hard.   Defenders pay a price for contact with him.   Most posters here seem to like him.   I’ve seen posters who don’t like Ballard say they thought this trade was a win for the Colts.  

Honestly, check out some YouTube clips and I think you’ll like what you see.   I think as backups go, he’s really solid.   Maybe not great, but certainly pretty good.   :thmup:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really?    I confess I didn’t see this coming from you.   I’m guessing you didn’t watch much late in the year because all the losing was so depressing.   

The name  I’m going to drop is Zac Moss.   He had a really good stretch with the Colts.   He’s not splashy or flashy,  but DAMN,  he runs hard.   Defenders pay a price for contact with him.   Most posters here seem to like him.   I’ve seen posters who don’t like Ballard say they thought this trade was a win for the Colts.  

Honestly, check out some YouTube clips and I think you’ll like what you see.   I think as backups go, he’s really solid.   Maybe not great, but certainly pretty good.   :thmup:

I remember picking him up at the end of the year in ESPN Fantasy after Taylor went down. He had 4 starts and 3 were really good. Yeah, I admit, besides fantasy, I was really checked out at that point though. His YPC were really solid (especially when running 12-18 times a game). I took him as my 6th rb in a $10 12 team bestball league to be contrarian about a month ago in case Taylor gets hurt again. 

Personally I want to keep him, but I don't want to make him a true bellcow back if Taylor goes down, if that makes any sense. I'm fine with using him in a committee with Jackson/Hull.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:11 PM, Hawkeyecolt said:

Zavier Scott plays some RB too. 

Yep, you called it. Here it is...

https://1075thefan.com/92431/colts-ota-notebook-week-2-gardner-minshew-takes-all-starting-reps/

For those curious on the undrafted free agent crowd, Maine product Zavier Scott is showing off his versatility during these practices. Scott (6-1, 219) has been working with both the running backs and receivers this spring, which is something he did do at Maine. For the Colts, it’s not typical to see guys offensive guys getting reps at those two spots.