Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lombardi podcas on the draft

Moosejawcolt

I know some here don't like Lombardi but hecwas a GM and I like his jonest approach on topics in thr NFL. This is very good listen and they asked him highest-rated player he ever rated an he said Peyton Manking. Click on link below. Hopefully it works. If not jus go to GM shuffle podcast and listen to most recent episode.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-gm-shuffle-with-michael-lombardi-and-femi-abebefe/id1458884463

44 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

All of us have media personalities that we love - or - loath.

I love the fact that he said Peyton Manning.  I don't believe Ryan Leaf was EVER in the conversation for the Colts with the #1 pick.

I don't think that is correct.  Leaf missed his appointment with Mora and Polian because of an x-ray appointment with the Bears. 

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/ryan-leaf-why-missed-meeting-colts/592868

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think that is correct.  Leaf missed his appointment with Mora and Polian because of an x-ray appointment with the Bears. 

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/ryan-leaf-why-missed-meeting-colts/592868

I meant in terms of weighing all of the information and making a decision about whom to draft - NOT if the Colts interviewed him or watched him during the Combine or the time leading up to the draft.

But - thanks for the info.

4 hours ago, sb41champs said:

I meant in terms of weighing all of the information and making a decision about whom to draft - NOT if the Colts interviewed him or watched him during the Combine or the time leading up to the draft.

Leaf was in the conversation with every GM including Polian for the #1 pick. If he wasn't an appointment wouldn't have been made. 

Just saying 

4 hours ago, sb41champs said:

A team with the number one overall draft pick not considering the second best player in that draft going into the draft would be malpractice.  Bill Polian didn’t become maybe the greatest GM of all time by committing malpractice.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:41 PM, GoColts8818 said:

A team with the number one overall draft pick not considering the second best player in that draft going into the draft would be malpractice.  Bill Polian didn’t become maybe the greatest GM of all time by committing malpractice.

AGREED

On 3/3/2023 at 8:36 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Leaf was in the conversation with every GM including Polian for the #1 pick. If he wasn't an appointment wouldn't have been made. 

Just saying 

It wasn't really that close..... At least it.never felt like it.  If you don't set meetings up for all possibilities, you are neglecting the duties of your job....

2 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

It wasn't really that close..... At least it.never felt like it.  If you don't set meetings up for all possibilities, you are neglecting the duties of your job....

I believe Leaf had a meeting with Polian roughly 7-10 days before the draft.   I’ve heard Polian tell the story. 

He asked each what they’d do with the giant signing bonus check they’d get as the number one pick.  

Leaf had the first interview and said he was paying for him and his closest friends to fly to Mexico to party for a week.   

A few days later, it was Manning who said the money was going straight in the bank and he wanted the playbook immediately so he could start studying.    

This answer, and others in the meeting, convinced Polian that their strong lean to Manning was correct.  

FWIW:  I’ve heard this story more than once over the years. 

Archived