Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Trade the #4 Pick for Justin Fields?

philba101

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/receipts/

It's slang. And often used in the 21st century. 

Interesting.   You say it’s slang and often used in the 21st century.   Yet you also made it a point to say this….  

You.   Don't.   Do.   It. 

Why is that?    Don’t you live in the 21st century?    Do you disapprove of it? 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am split on whether or not Caleb Williams will be a great QB in the NFL. He has the talent, but he had a disappointing season at USC this season. I excepted them to be more like Washington was, competing for a Title. I also thought Williams would play much better than he did when he played Washington, Oregon, and Utah.

Caleb Williams has a lot of Mahomes qualities in his play. Especially how he can scramble and extend a play on his feet. The problem is his attitude and some teams may not want to put up with it. Having said that, I think the lowest he falls is no3 to the Pats. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Caleb Williams has a lot of Mahomes qualities in his play. Especially how he can scramble and extend a play on his feet. The problem is his attitude and some teams may not want to put up with it. Having said that, I think the lowest he falls is no3 to the Pats. 

So does fields. That’s why they better not be drafting on just that. Because Fields is very good off structure.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So does fields. That’s why they better not be drafting on just that. Because Fields is very good off structure.

And Fields is 11-29 after 3 years with one 300 passing yard games.  So there’s that to evaluate. Many quarterbacks have been given up on with that type of record. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

And Fields is 11-29 after 3 years with one 300 passing yard games.  So there’s that to evaluate. Many quarterbacks have been given up on with that type of record. 

Exactly.  I live in the Chicago area and Bears fans up here just love Fields.  They think he will eventually be great despite not having any real evidence to support that.  I get it that he's flashed occasionally, but that's a big enough sample size to show that he just doesn't have "it" and there's a potential superstar sitting there at #1 overall.  Trade Fields and take the couple day 2 picks to build around your new cap-controlled QB.  Maybe do what the Texans did last year and trade up from #9 after making your first pick to grab a stud receiver like Harrison or Nabers or an OT like Alt or Olu.  Bam, instant offensive improvement.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Exactly.  I live in the Chicago area and Bears fans up here just love Fields.  They think he will eventually be great despite not having any real evidence to support that.  I get it that he's flashed occasionally, but that's a big enough sample size to show that he just doesn't have "it" and there's a potential superstar sitting there at #1 overall.  Trade Fields and take the couple day 2 picks to build around your new cap-controlled QB.  Maybe do what the Texans did last year and trade up from #9 after making your first pick to grab a stud receiver like Harrison or Nabers or an OT like Alt or Olu.  Bam, instant offensive improvement.

One could argue that Zach Wilson has performed on par with Fields. Wilson has been just about tarred and feathered in New York already.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting.   You say it’s slang and often used in the 21st century.   Yet you also made it a point to say this….  

You.   Don't.   Do.   It. 

Why is that?    Don’t you live in the 21st century?    Do you disapprove of it? 

i. do. whatever. i. want.

13 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

He is going #1, I just have my doubts if he is going to be the next Brady, Montana, Peyton, Mahomes, Elway, or Rodgers like the entire media hyped this guy up to be. A guy named Shep on CBS Radio was saying that Caleb was the greatest QB ever in college football back in October, that did not age well. After Notre Dame put a spanking on them, Shep disappeared. I have yet to see any rookie drafted #1 since 2012 that has even been better than Luck was as a #1 pick. Joe Burrow maybe? I look at Stroud's rookie season this season and by my eye test he wasn't better than Luck either, he went #2. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

One could argue that Zach Wilson has performed on par with Fields. Wilson has been just about tarred and feathered in New York already.

Fields isn't a good passer, but has had better passing games than Wilson, Wilson surely doesn't have it and he doesn't run like Fields to make any franchise interested. Once Fields got DJ Moore, he'd some good intervals in games while Garrett Wilson has regressed with Zack. 

Anyway, Fields is going to be just the bridge QB at this point for some franchise, until they find the real guy. Wilson will be lucky to have a spot on any roster, and he probably wouldn't deserve it even if he gets, as Jets found out in the past 2 years after multiple tries. 

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is going #1, I just have my doubts if he is going to be the next Brady, Montana, Peyton, Mahomes, Elway, or Rodgers like the entire media hyped this guy up to be. A guy named Shep on CBS Radio was saying that Caleb was the greatest QB ever in college football back in October, that did not age well. After Notre Dame put a spanking on them, Shep disappeared. I have yet to see any rookie drafted #1 since 2012 that has even been better than Luck was as a #1 pick. Joe Burrow maybe? I look at Stroud's rookie season this season and by my eye test he wasn't better than Luck either, he went #2. 

i don’t know why anyone would claim someone was the best until their career was over… It’s similar to putting Pat Mahomes in the Tom Brady discussion. Yes, he’s had a hell of a start, and it’s fair to parallel at this point in their respective careers, but will he continue winning championships, and will he play until he’s 45? To assume that he will is disregarding the probability of it actually happening. 

40 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Fields isn't a good passer, but has had better passing games than Wilson, Wilson surely doesn't have it and he doesn't run like Fields to make any franchise interested. Once Fields got DJ Moore, he'd some good intervals in games while Garrett Wilson has regressed with Zack. 

Anyway, Fields is going to be just the bridge QB at this point for some franchise, until they find the real guy. Wilson will be lucky to have a spot on any roster, and he probably wouldn't deserve it even if he gets, as Jets found out in the past 2 years after multiple tries. 

Fields has a limited ceiling in the passing game, IMO but the Bears would be foolish to give up on the chance to draft 2 No.1 picks in a row to improve the most important position on a roster.

Ryan Poles doesn’t want to be remembered for that but maybe he does??? I do think as a pure prospect, Caleb Williams is a definite prospect than Justin Fields. It buys the GM time, and maybe the HC time. Mitch Trubisky is forever compared to Mahomes in a bad way, the same will happen to Justin Fields versus Caleb Williams.

Justin Fields probably brings a Wentz like trade possibility, a high 3rd from the Patriots and a future 3rd, that could become a 2nd if he reaches certain benchmarks like 80% playing time etc.

They are not going to get an outright 2nd rounder from a QB needy team at the top of Round 2, IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Wilson does have a better win versus loss record than Fields. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/zach-wilson-alltime-win-loss-record

32 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Have you seen Wilson play? The Jets have won games in spite of him. Unless you watch him play, you may not understand how poorly he has played. I cannot think of many QBs that have played as poorly as he has, especially given where he was drafted. Fields is a lot better.  Most people believe Trubisky has been bad. Trubisky has played so much better than Wilson.

Justin Fields

Zach Wilson

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It is not even close. Wilson is not good at all. The Jets regret letting go of Darnold for Wilson. Darnold seemed more injury-prone but he played okay. Whenever I saw Wilson play, which was more than most here, he looked awful. I think I saw only one good game from Zach Wilson.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Yeah, the context is that Jets defense is one of the best in the league, and that's getting wasted. Jets should've tried other backup QBs, even Flacco, just how many other teams showed when they were hit with the same setback. Maybe, Rodgers stays healthy next season. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, the context is that Jets defense is one of the best in the league, and that's getting wasted. Jets should've tried other backup QBs, even Flacco, just how many other teams showed when they were hit with the same setback. Maybe, Rodgers stays healthy next season. 

This whole season has been Bad Karma for Rodgers.

He goes out game 1 with possibly the best D assembled for a supporting cast for him. Then, his Packers in a must win game to make it in, make it, while his last year, they don't. Granted, it was the Lions last year on the ascend vs the Bears who are who we thought they were. The special teams and D are much improved compared to his time that caused him to lose a lot of playoff games and were far more competitive in a game vs 49ers that has traditionally given the Packers fits.

It is only natural that Rodgers has the chance to earn comeback player of the year next year but this season could not have been something he cherished on several fronts.