Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl LVII, Feb. 12, 2023

NFLfan

Super Bowl LVII picks (for bragging rights)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which two teams will make it to Super Bowl LVII?

• Bengals and Eagles
    • Bengals and 49ers
    • Chiefs and Eagles
    • Chiefs and 49ers
  2. 2. Who wins Super Bowl LVII?

3. 3. Which team would you like to see win the 2023 Super Bowl?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/29/2023 at 08:00 PM

• NFLfan pinned this topic
  • Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all long-suffering fans of a team that has never won the Super Bowl should be rooting for the Bengals. Their fan base deserves a championship. So, I'm rooting for the Bengals but I also like the 49ers. 

I picked the Eagles to win. Gosh, I hope I am wrong. 

Here is some history in the SB era (1966-2021 seasons)

SB Champions since the 2005 season (recent history)

2005 - Steelers

2006 - Colts

2007 - Giants

2008 - Steelers

2009 - Saints

2010 - Packers

2011 - Giants

2012 - Ravens

2013 - Seahawks

2014 - Patriots

2015 - Broncos

2016 - Patriots

2017 - Eagles

2018 - Patriots

2019 - Chiefs

2020 - Bucs

2021 - Rams

2022 - ?

Franchises that have won 5 or more SB's

Steelers - 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, 2008 = 6

Patriots - 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016, 2018 = 6

Cowboys - 1971, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995 = 5

49ers - 1981, 1984, 1988, 1989, 1994 = 5

Franchises that have never won a SB

Bengals

Bills

Browns

Cardinals

Chargers

Falcons

Jags

Lions

Panthers

Texans

Titans, were the Oilers

Vikings

-12 haven't believe it or not out of 56 played.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@NFLfanif you want, we can just make this the thread we post on for the Final 4 on Sunday. That away we only have one thread for the rest of the playoffs. It would make it easier for everyone else :thmup:

think we should have a separate thread for the conference championship games (game thread). EDIT: I posted it.

We can use this one for the Super Bowl game thread. I only created this one because some wanted a prediction poll.

In the beginning of the Post season I picked 49ers vs Chiefs for the super bowl with 49ers winning.

See what I saw last week I am nervous for both of my picks lol. But i still voted 49ers vs Chiefs outta integrity. 

I would say I wanna see the Bengals win the most but I would be okay with anyone winning.. Eagles being my least favorite. 

It's time for a "Cinderella" team to win-it-all - and - I think this is the Bengals year!!

They mowed down the favored Buffalo Bills - at home - to move on to the Chiefs - whom they've beat several consecutive times.

All the other teams have been past Super Bowl winners - time to crown a new team!!

30 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Eagles (-1.5) are the early favorites with the New Zealand bookies. I'm surprised and thought it would be the chiefs who have a lot more big game experience.

The Eagles team is talented, across the board on offense and defense. Unlike with Burrow, the occasional runner, they actually have to game plan for Hurts running, which however has been less this year because of his improved passing prowess.  I can definitely see why the Eagles are favored.

Here are some fun facts regarding the Chiefs and Eagles in the SB:

1. Since 2014, since Brady started resuming winning SBs after a 10 year dry spell, either Tom Brady or the team that beat Tom Brady has won the SB. The only exception has been Patrick Mahomes in 2019.

2. The last time the Chiefs lost to the Colts in 2019 in the regular season, they also won the SB and also played the No.1 seed from the NFC, the 49ers

3. The No.1 from both conferences have met enough times lately in the past 13 years.

a. 2009 Saints vs 2009 Colts - NFC won

(2010 Packers were #6 seed, 2011 Giants were #4 seed, 2012 Ravens were #4 seed)

b. 2013 Seahawks vs 2013 Broncos - NFC won

c. 2014 Patriots vs 2014 Seahawks - AFC won

d. 2015 Broncos vs 2015 Panthers - AFC won

e. 2016 Patriots vs 2016 Falcons - AFC won

f. 2017 Eagles vs 2017 Patriots - NFC won

(2018 Rams were #2 seed, 2019 Chiefs were #2 seed, 2020 Bucs were #5 seed, 2021 Rams were #3 seed)

g. 2022 Chiefs vs 2022 Eagles - TBD (Eagles were last #1 seed to win NFC)

4. The team with the MVP has not won the SB since 1999, when Kurt Warner did it. Mahomes will win MVP and that works in the Eagles' favor.

5. The team that beat the Jaguars in the playoffs has been to the SB several times but has won only once, in 1997 when the Denver Broncos won. That also works in the Eagles' favor. (Patriots in 2005, 2007, 2017, Titans in 1999 all lost the SB)

Going to be an interesting game.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think there are too many that are dissing on the Eagles. They have play makers all over their roster including Hurts. 

Had the Bengals had a healthy Oline they would have won against the Chiefs. 

I think it is only @2006Coltsbestever that is dissing the Eagles and I feel the Eagles will win and even if the Chiefs manage to win, it is by a squeak, IMO.

Yeah, against good Ds, the OL does show up. Again, the team that didn't have to play 2 of the top 3 in the AFC - Chiefs, Bengals, Bills makes it to the SB again from the AFC. It does take a lot out of you, playing 2 of those 3. If the Ravens re-sign Lamar and DeShaun Watson has another off season under his belt and you have the pesky Steelers, I would have to say the Bengals are in a tougher division than Mahomes is.

Add one more to this. Ever since the Patriots repeated in 2004:

2004 - Night championship game winner, Patriots

2005 - Night championship game winner, Seahawks (lost to wild card #6 Steelers)

2006 - Night championship game winner, Colts

2007 - Night championship game winner, Giants

2008 - Night championship game winner, Steelers

2009 - Night championship game winner, Saints

2010 - Night championship game winner, Steelers (lost to wild card #6 Packers)

2011 - Night championship game, Giants

2012 - Night championship game winner, Ravens

2013 - Night championship game winner, Seahawks

2014 - Night championship game winner, Patriots

2015 - Night championship game winner, Panthers

2016 - Night championship game winner, Patriots

2017 - Night championship game winner, Eagles

2018 - Night championship game winner, Patriots

2019 - Night championship game winner, 49ers

2020 - Night championship game winner, Chiefs (lost to wild card #5 Bucs)

2021 - Night championship game winner, Rams

2022 - Night championship game winner, Chiefs (TBD)

So, night championship game winners are 13-5 in the SB in the last 18 years. 3 times, the losses came against wild card teams ranked #5 or higher. Another trivial interesting stat. :) 

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think there are too many that are dissing on the Eagles. They have play makers all over their roster including Hurts. 

Had the Bengals had a healthy Oline they would have won against the Chiefs. 

1 hour ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

No not just him…  @Chrisaaron1023 hates them a whole lot this season too lmao

No dissing they should clearly be the favorites. But their road was to SB consisted of Daniel Jones and Christian McCaffrey. And to go from that to arguably the best QB we've seen is going to be tough. I think it'll be a lot closer than some Philly fans are thinking.. mahomes learned from 2021 what a good dline can do. And they revamped their offensive strategy since. No more bombs away to Tyreek lol. 

I remember in 2009 when went right through some defensive teams ravens and jets easily. Then met an offensive team in the saint and it seems like culture shock lol. The ball hit the ground 4... 4 times for Drew Brees that game..

17 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

No dissing they should clearly be the favorites. But their road was to SB consisted of Daniel Jones and Christian McCaffrey. And to go from that to arguably the best QB we've seen is going to be tough. I think it'll be a lot closer than some Philly fans are thinking.. mahomes learned from 2021 what a good dline can do. And they revamped their offensive strategy since. No more bombs away to Tyreek lol. 

I remember in 2009 when went right through some defensive teams ravens and jets easily. Then met an offensive team in the saint and it seems like culture shock lol. The ball hit the ground 4... 4 times for Drew Brees that game..

Well the Chiefs road to the superbowl consisted of a 9-8 Jags team and the banged up offensive line of Cincy. 

Personally I think Burrow is as good as Mahomes but that's just my opinion.  

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well the Chiefs road to the superbowl consisted of a 9-8 Jags team and the banged up offensive line of Cincy. 

I AGREE!

And at this point I don't even care who wins the SB.  I don’t care for either team and for the first time in many years I doubt if I'll even watch it.

How a Football Superfan in a Wolf Costume Ended Up in a Cage

Kansas City fans worried when one of their team’s most recognizable supporters didn’t show up for a game. When he turned up in a Tulsa jail, they wondered if they’d known him at all.

Before he landed in a Tulsa, Okla., jail cell, Chiefsaholic seemed to have an enviable life as a sports fan.

An exuberant, 28-year-old Kansas City Chiefs superfan in a wolf mask, Chiefsaholic attended nearly every game, home and away. N.F.L. broadcasts regularly featured him celebrating in the stands. He shared his adventures with more than 50,000 followers on social media, boasting about bets that would earn him tens of thousands of dollars if he won.

He had a good seat to see his team win the Super Bowl in Miami Gardens, Fla., in 2020, and took a selfie with the club’s general manager on the confetti-strewn field. He attended quarterback Patrick Mahomes’s annual fund-raising gala last month in Kansas City, and apparently won the painting that was featured onstage throughout the event.

The price tag must have been steep. A Super Bowl ticket like his would have fetched about $8,500, and an individual ticket to the Mahomes benefit goes for $1,250, to say nothing of travel costs.

After a few hours of online sleuthing, fans discovered the answer: Xaviar Babudar, as the authorities know Chiefsaholic, was sitting in a jail cell in Tulsa. He was charged with robbery with a firearm after police say he stuck a “C02 pistol” in a teller’s face at a Tulsa credit union. He had been arrested just minutes after the police said they got the call.

Wow. This guy is a famous Chiefs fan. 

He portrayed himself as someone who worked hard for what he has. It was a complete hoax. The story is outrageous. 

https://nyti.ms/3Rbjf99

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He is, that is why all their 4 games have been decided by 3 points, not a coincidence. But when Tyler Boyd went out with an injury, Burrow couldn't do anything the last 2 possessions with just Chase and Higgins, 2 #1 WRs, and that should tell you something while Mahomes could create and throw to practice squad guys like Kemp with his WR1 (Hardman), WR2 (JuJu), another WR3 (Toney) all injured and unavailable, and a WR3 at best in MVS playing. That is the key difference. One would be blind not to acknowledge that.

The only common barometer between the Eagles and Chiefs is the 49ers that they played in the season. Chiefs crushed the 49ers on the road vs a healthy Jimmy G while the Eagles crushed the 49ers at home in the playoffs. So, that is why I think they are evenly matched teams with the Eagles being a bit more well rounded in all phases.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 7:45 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Can’t say Burrow is as good as a 2 time MVP. That’s like me saying Taylor is as good as prime Adrian Peterson

55 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Can’t say Burrow is as good as a 2 time MVP. That’s like me saying Taylor is as good as prime Adrian Peterson

Mahomes has been in the league 2 times longer than Burrow. Burrow also suffered a torn ACL and MCL in 2020. But don't let that interfere with your opinion. 

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

Peterson - 1st 3 seasons. 

4484 yards - 40 TDs. - 823 rec. Yds. 1 - td

Taylor - 1st 3 seasons minus the games he missed at the end of his 3rd season. 

4149 yards - 40 tds. 

782 yds rec. - 3 tds. 

So Taylor has been as good as Peterson his first 3 seasons. 

Maybe find a better example??

On 2/10/2023 at 2:10 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Peterson - 1st 3 seasons. 

4484 yards - 40 TDs. - 823 rec. Yds. 1 - td

Taylor - 1st 3 seasons minus the games he missed at the end of his 3rd season. 

4149 yards - 40 tds. 

782 yds rec. - 3 tds. 

So Taylor has been as good as Peterson his first 3 seasons. 

Maybe find a better example??

He did specify "Prime Adrian Peterson".  

Although, after looking, what you used may be his best 3 year period.  

Archived