Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fly On The Wall-Offense

atapcl

The players have had a couple of weeks to learn the playbook and this week's mini camp will be interesting to see how they stack up on the depth charts. Stanton played well and won a couple of games at Detroit when he had to play. Reggine Wayne will start at one WR spot but who will start at the other. Collie came back and had an injury free year last year but he is a posession receiver like Wayne and may be kept in the slot. Avery had two good years with the Rams before injury and now seems healthy. Can Avery become the receiver that stretches the defense? The clip we had in this forum on Jeremy Ross showed that he has promise and speed but does he have the hands and route running ability to make us forget Garcon? Will the OL gel? Is Ijalana healthy enough to battle Justice for a tackle spot? Will the loser between Ijalana and Justice move to a guard spot. Has Donald Brown outgrown his old college shoulder injury enough to beat out Carter for the starting RB spot? What happens this week at FB, TE, and or HB? Hughes is still listed on defense but if he does not start on defense could he be moved to to offense as a FB? This week will be interesting indeed.

The players have had a couple of weeks to learn the playbook and this week's mini camp will be interesting to see how they stack up on the depth charts. Stanton played well and won a couple of games at Detroit when he had to play. Reggine Wayne will start at one WR spot but who will start at the other. Collie came back and had an injury free year last year but he is a posession receiver like Wayne and may be kept in the slot. Avery had two good years with the Rams before injury and now seems healthy. Can Avery become the receiver that stretches the defense? The clip we had in this forum on Jeremy Ross showed that he has promise and speed but does he have the hands and route running ability to make us forget Garcon? Will the OL gel? Is Ijalana healthy enough to battle Justice for a tackle spot? Will the loser between Ijalana and Justice move to a guard spot. Has Donald Brown outgrown his old college shoulder injury enough to beat out Carter for the starting RB spot? What happens this week at FB, TE, and or HB? Hughes is still listed on defense but if he does not start on defense could he be moved to to offense as a FB? This week will be interesting indeed.

Brown doesnt have to beat out Carter...we'll use them both...

..and that's the first time I've ever heard of Jerry Hughes as a fullback...

Brown doesnt have to beat out Carter...we'll use them both...

..and that's the first time I've ever heard of Jerry Hughes as a fullback...

The coaching staff never has said anything about Jerry Hughes as a FB. This is just a thought from me because he has excellent athletic ability. I have mentioned this on a couple of other posts. Jerry played running back in high school and had over a thousand yards rushing. He has grown into a much bigger player than in high school. In the clips we have had in this forum showing Jerry as a DE he does not seem to fit. As an outside linebacker he is not going to beat out Freeney or Mathis so it seems he needs a position switch if he is to contribute to the team as a starter. Watching those clips he seemed to push people down more than using wrapup tackles which means if he is moved to ILB he will have to be a better wrapup tackler and more of a power player. If he can not do these things he will be cut. If he moves to FB/HB we could take advantage of his athletic ability. As a FB/HB we can use him as a power runner and a lead blocker. The lead blocker was just in my mind because of the pushing technique he was using for his tackles. If he can catch he could help make up for not having a receiving TE. This is just me thinking outside the box.

Mike Chappel was the fly on the wall today. Looks like Justice is working at RT and Setele at C. Ijalana and Costanzo are still nursing injuries. Eldridge had the flu today and did not work out. Hughes is backing up Mathis as the SSLB.

Mike Chappel was the fly on the wall today. Looks like Justice is working at RT and Setele at C. Ijalana and Costanzo are still nursing injuries. Eldridge had the flu today and did not work out. Hughes is backing up Mathis as the SSLB.

I know it's months away from real camp, but what worried me most from that report were the injuries to our O line. Plus Carter has a thumb injury. He can't afford to not have a good grip on the ball with his record.

I know it's months away from real camp, but what worried me most from that report were the injuries to our O line. Plus Carter has a thumb injury. He can't afford to not have a good grip on the ball with his record.

Agreed.

since this seems to be the "wacky post on offense" thread, I've got a silly (maybe not so silly) question... Taking into account Luck's 40 time, instincts with the ball, and all around beastiness... what's the Over/Under on there actually being at least 1 designed run play (other than QB sneak) for him in the playbook? Seems ridiculous to put the future of the franchise in harm's way, but hey, I don't know these guys (Arians/Pagano) well enough to discount the idea completely...