Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would think the Bears would prefer to trade with an AFC team given the choice.

No Doubt. But they are not in the same division, and I could see Chicago going for the largest overpayment presented.

On the flips side, If Chicago wants their cake and eat it too - meaning they want to be able to draft and elite defensive player (Carter or Anderson) + get a draft haul - Colts will be in a good place.

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That trade is ridiculous. That would never happen. 

Don't be so sure. Moving from #9 to #1 will require backing up the Brinks truck. Every GM in the league knows that Houston and Indy are drafting QB's. There are only 3 "Potential" top tier QB's in the draft. Chicago is going to get a haul for this pick.

There are minimum of 8 teams that will look to improve their QB situation this offseason.

34 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Don't be so sure. Moving from #9 to #1 will require backing up the Brinks truck. Every GM in the league knows that Houston and Indy are drafting QB's. There are only 3 "Potential" top tier QB's in the draft. Chicago is going to get a haul for this pick.

There are minimum of 8 teams that will look to improve their QB situation this offseason.

Are there only 3, though?  I’ve seen anywhere from 3-6 spoken interchangeably, which again tells me it would be foolhardy to pay much of a price at all to move up from the 4 slot. 

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I don't understand how some people think there won't be big offers for the #1 pick.  Sure, there's not a generational QB in the draft, but then the cost of moving to #1 would become irrelevant because the Bears would take that QB and trade Fields.  No team that was bad enough to have #1 when Luck was drafted would've traded out.  The Colts were even willing to move on from Manning, and he won an MVP and went to 2 more Super Bowls after that.

There are 2-3 highly thought of QB's in this draft.  Everyone knows a QB is going #2 to Houston.  The reasonable assumption GM's are going to make is Chicago is trading #1 and 2 QB's are gone after the top 2 picks.  Fanduel has Young (-125) & Stroud (+220) as the clear top faves to go #1 overall and that would be assuming a trade.  There will also be the possibility of someone desperately trying to move up to get QB3 with Arizona if QB's go 1 and 2.  The teams drafting #2 and #4 are division rivals and will be facing the QB's drafted twice a year, possibly for over a decade (assuming those teams want a QB which I think is a reasonable conclusion).  There's also a few other teams (some with a ton of draft capital) that need or could use a QB in the top 10.  Throw in that people's jobs are on the line and the "sit and wait for next year", or the "see who drops" theories lose steam.  While it's possible a team would value all of the top 3 fairly equally, considering fit/skills/traits, it's more likely that they don't.  They would also have to be confident that they would get 1 of the 3 even if they did.  The teams behind the Colts will be expecting that the top 3 QB's are all gone by pick #4 if the Bears trade and it's not with the Colts.

This is exactly the environment that would exist to make the #1 pick very valuable.  What else would there need to be?

Just now, rockywoj said:

Are there only 3, though?  I’ve seen anywhere from 3-6 spoken interchangeably, which again tells me it would be foolhardy to pay much of a price at all to move up from the 4 slot. 

Yeah, Overall I am not in favor of moving. I have heard the same names, but the general consensus is Levis, Young, and Stroud. Someone will take a swing at Richardson early; just don't think it will be Ballard.  

2 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Yeah, Overall I am not in favor of moving. I have heard the same names, but the general consensus is Levis, Young, and Stroud. Someone will take a swing at Richardson early; just don't think it will be Ballard.  

Even if there are just 3, though, I like the chances of getting one of the 3 at the four slot when the two best rated players in the draft are non QBs and 2 of the top 3 picks ahead of us don’t need a QB.  I don’t see those two non QB needy teams both trading down, thereby potentially sacrificing the ability to draft the 2 best non QB prospects.  

As Ballard says, “don’t force it”.  Stay at 4.

Just now, rockywoj said:

Even if there are just 3, though, I like the chances of getting one of the 3 at the four slot when the two best rated players in the draft are non QBs and 2 of the top 3 picks ahead of us don’t need a QB. 

Yes, I agree. I just have a gut feeling that if the Colts do not move up and Stroud is gone. Ballard will stay at #4. I think Stroud check all the boxes for Ballard in this QB class in my humble opinion.

58 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Bears will probably stay at 1 if colts don’t want to trade up.

Maybe. But……. They have so many holes 

I personally think that there is less than 50% chance that they keep this pick.   So many folks are starving for a QB

they would HAVE to consider multiple 1s and multiple 2s and maybe a player

20 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

That would make Hooker 26  by the time he starts. Duggan is going undrafted too. 

Obviously this part of my post was my least favorite of the choices that I identified.  Not my primary choice

And

If I had a way to wager with you I would

He may go later (5th - 7th) but Duggan IMHO will get drafted

He had one horrible game this year, against the best defense in college

IMHO….. he will do ok at senior bowl and will test well…

the guy can toss the rock

34 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Even if there are just 3, though, I like the chances of getting one of the 3 at the four slot when the two best rated players in the draft are non QBs and 2 of the top 3 picks ahead of us don’t need a QB.  I don’t see those two non QB needy teams both trading down, thereby potentially sacrificing the ability to draft the 2 best non QB prospects.  

As Ballard says, “don’t force it”.  Stay at 4.

What if bears trade with Carolina for a QB. Then Texans take one. Then cardinals trade down and someone else takes a QB. Then all but Richardson is gone.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What if bears trade with Carolina for a QB. Then Texans take one. Then cardinals trade down and someone else takes a QB. Then all but Richardson is gone.

The  we take richardson start him and if he is terrible we draft maye or williams

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think this could actually happen

not a great chance.  But it could happen

if this instance happens TAKE THE DE from Alabama …. The kid is a wrecking ball

I do think if this happens it’s from folks that are desperate for a QB

I would trade back in to round 1 and take Richardson late in round 1

In this case, I would get Carr for 2 years (it looks like he will be cut) and let Richardson learn the pro game and take over in 2-3 years

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The  we take richardson start him and if he is terrible we draft maye or williams

Williams in particular is the real deal. Saw him play against my Son’s team in the Cotton Bowl. Very impressive in all facets. I believe he will be the Consensus #1 in 24.

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I just don’t see both the Bears and Cards trading out, but if they do, oh well.  I am not so convinced that any of these top three QB prospects are truly franchise QBs anyway.  Ergo, c’est la vie.  Guess we’d just have to settle at the 4th spot for one of the two BEST rated players in the draft!  lol  Happy consolation.

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think this could actually happen

not a great chance.  But it could happen

if this instance happens TAKE THE DE from Alabama …. The kid is a wrecking ball

I do think if this happens it’s from folks that are desperate for a QB

I would trade back in to round 1 and take Richardson late in round 1

In this case, I would get Carr for 2 years (it looks like he will be cut) and let Richardson learn the pro game and take over in 2-3 years

I think Carr will be with another team by the time the draft rolls around along with a number of other veteran quarterbacks.  

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I just don’t see both the Bears and Cards trading out, but if they do, oh well.  I am not so convinced that any of these top three QB prospects are truly franchise QBs anyway.  Ergo, c’est la vie.  Guess we’d just have to settle at the 4th spot for one of the two BEST rated players in the draft!  lol  Happy consolation.

So then what we won’t have a QB. It’s not up to us. It’s what colts think about these quarterbacks. If they want one they need to make sure it happens.

So then what we won’t have a QB. It’s not up to us. It’s what colts think about these quarterbacks. If they want one they need to make sure it happens.

For next year, pretty sure we can sign a QB that will put in a better performance than any of the rooks will deliver in year 1.  Chloe, just relax, panic is not a good thing.  It’ll all work out.

Plus, remember, in the art of “negotiation”, the party that shows the least vested interest will often make out the best.   If I am the Colts, I am not telegraphing any panic whatsoever about being vested in needing to pick a QB at the top of round one.  

Just now, rockywoj said:

For next year, pretty sure we can sign a QB that will put in a better performance than any of the rooks will deliver in year 1.  Chloe, just relax, panic is not a good thing.  It’ll all work out.

Irsay and Ballard are done with the QB circus. Players are sick of it too. They basically quit.

It seems Levis fits what Ballard wants in a QB. The Texans taking him at 2 could be the best or worst thing to happen to this franchise draft-wise in a long time. If we trade up to 1, and Ballard correctly deduces that the Texans would take him at 2, it would probably be a massive overpay for a QB that could be a bust or easily worse than Stroud and Young. If we don't want Levis, and it goes Anderson/Levis at 1/2, we would be in perfect shape to get one of Stroud/Young at 4 without giving up draft capital.

Ballard could look like a fool or a genius here. We'll have to see which one.

Irsay and Ballard are done with the QB circus. Players are sick of it too. They basically quit.

So you would telegraphy your panic need to draft a QB, forcing yourself into giving up a fortune to move up just 1, 2, or 3 minor spots, wrecking your ability to still draft in premium slots in the next two years?

Panic is not a good look for a team.  Meh.  Yeah, we need a QB, but if getting one at the 4th spot doesn’t work out, then whatever.  Go get the best rated player in the draft and maybe worry about a QB in the 2nd round or with a less expensive move back into the first round later.  I just can’t advocate giving up a fortune for what look to be an interchangeable 3 to 4 or 5 prospects.  Stay cool.

5 minutes ago, Moe said:

One thing is for sure I haven’t been this excited for a draft in a long time! 

I know next few months are going to be fun. My dream is we trade with bears before the draft then it leaks who we are taking. No reason to keep it secret if you have the 1st pick. That is just a dream and we will see who we take. If we move up I hope we get to keep that 2nd round pick with it being so high.

13 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

So you would telegraphy your panic need to draft a QB, forcing yourself into giving up a fortune to move up just 1, 2, or 3 minor spots, wrecking your ability to still draft in premium slots in the next two years?

Panic is not a good look for a team.  Meh.  Yeah, we need a QB, but if getting one at the 4th spot doesn’t work out, then whatever.  Go get the best rated player in the draft and maybe worry about a QB in the 2nd round or with a less expensive move back into the first round later.  I just can’t advocate giving up a fortune for what look to be an interchangeable 3 to 4 or 5 prospects.  Stay cool.

We aren’t talking about taking hooker or Stetson at 4. These  3 guys are good quarterbacks. That’s not panicking.

I know next few months are going to be fun. My dream is we trade with bears before the draft then it leaks who we are taking. No reason to keep it secret if you have the 1st pick. That is just a dream and we will see who we take. If we move up I hope we get to keep that 2nd round pick with it being so high.

I hope we can keep our 2nd rd pick as well.  I remember years ago the first pick was often known before the draft and they would start negotiating a contract.  No doubt in my mind we are trading to 1 though.

Archived