Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Disturbing Game Tape of Stephon Gilmore

When he was playing CB (b/c that's what people are looking at and he wouldn't be a PR on the Colts), he showed great tackling skills and good field vision. He just had 2 or 3 bad plays against Lance Louis, who is a great deep ball receiver. His instincts need a little help just by watching that video, but that's something that people questioned when they looked at Vontae Davis and Jimmy Smith. Look at how they turned out.

This video wasn't impressive, but it didn't hurt him at all. He's still a very good cornerback and you did not prove anything by showing us this video.

When he was playing CB (b/c that's what people are looking at and he wouldn't be a PR on the Colts), he showed great tackling skills and good field vision. He just had 2 or 3 bad plays against Lance Louis, who is a great deep ball receiver. His instincts need a little help just by watching that video, but that's something that people questioned when they looked at Vontae Davis and Jimmy Smith. Look at how they turned out.

This video wasn't impressive, but it didn't hurt him at all. He's still a very good cornerback and you did not prove anything by showing us this video.

Are you saying people should be concerned because he isn't invincible? If you want to see concerning, pull some video of Janoris Jenkins getting abused by Alshon Jeffrey.

I was referring to physical pushing him around. My point was the size mismatch you get with Janoris Jenkins.

....Darrel Revis is 5'10-5'11 and he does fine most of the time? Does he get beat sometimes by 6'3-6'4 WRs when it comes to physicality every now and then? Yea, but it still doesn't take away that he wins most of the battles.

I was referring to physical pushing him around. My point was the size mismatch you get with Janoris Jenkins.

Gilmore plays 10 yards of his man. If you watch South Carolina,they play a very Unorthodox, run defense heavy scheme. Antonio Allen is basically a LB in that scheme, which is he will be draft low, and Gilmore play 10 yards of his man, usually giving a extra 3 yards as the play starts.

How physical can you be from 13 yards away. I seen 1 good jam by him in all the tape I've watched.

Yep. Those under 6 foot, under 200lb CBs are always useless because of a size mismatch.

darrelle-revis1.jpg

I've seen over a dozen people write and say, this 5-11 corner is too small, or this 200 pound corner is to small. 5-11 is the average height buddy. It's rare to get a talented corner over 6 feet. 5'7 and 5'8, i'd understand your concern, but 5'10 is fine.

Those jump balls, to 6'5 recievers, there only 1 guy I know that could defend those and it was Charles Woodson. Now unless there is a Charles Woodson available when Jenkins is around, I'd just relax if I were you.

Why is it that when a very tall reciever is not good enough to make it as a reciever he is not chosen to play defense? Why are they all 5'10"? I think Hail Mary's were invented because there are no tall secondary people anywhere!! Splain!

A taller player is less able to make quick breaks due to a higher center of gravity and finds it more difficult to keep up with a WR since they have to react instead of drive the action like a WR does.

Every corner gets beat one time or another. Its not really news, even revis gets beat you can pull up every player in college football and i'm sure they have made a bad play now and then. There is no reason to crucify him off game tape you just thought made him look like the worst corner you apperently have ever seen.

He may go Top 15 pick, so don't expect him to be there when we pick in round 2. It's not about what we think of the player, it's about what the Front Office of teams thinks about them and how they fit into the teams plans/scheme.