Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts buy, Colts sell (Stampede's lists for both)...

EastStreet

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Who knows made the call. But dropping both Autry and Houston in the same year, was dumb. Just like dropping both Glow and Reed last year. 

I think the regime thought they had adequate replacements.  If you look at the contracts and when the replacements were added to the team, you can see that letting them go was probably the plan, and they wanted to move forward with the plan.  Out with the vets and in with the young.  Hasn't worked well enough.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Do you wish you had some of those guys back? 

Sure.  I beat the drum big time for re-signing and keeping Hooker.  Was he worth a first rounder?  No, but he was a solid player and certainly worth keeping.  Have the Cowboys gotten more out of him than we have out of Blackmon?  Probably.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think the regime thought they had adequate replacements.  If you look at the contracts and when the replacements were added to the team, you can see that letting them go was probably the plan, and they wanted to move forward with the plan.  Out with the vets and in with the young.  Hasn't worked well enough.

Nah... dropped two starters (Houston and Autry). Only added one (Paye) who was a rook. And another rook not expected do much due to injury... 

Neither Lewis or AQM were to level of either Houston or Autry. 

PFF grades for a couple of other players who have left:

Glow

• 2022, 56.7  (Jets)
  • 2021, 70.1
  • 2020, 67.3
  • 2019, 60.5

Pascal

• 56.7  7 targets (about right since he's behind Smith and Brown, Philly)
  • 51.7, 67 targets...lol
  • 64.7, 71 targets....lol
  • 73.7, 69 targets...good year with JB.

38 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I got a good laugh from the post lol.

I almost added 

D Autry - 74ish

Anthony Walker - 83ish

That would of made 2/6 players of relevance to that post if both were added.

Autry and Houston

Anthony Walker is out for season, not getting anything for him.(premise of "joke")

No one is trading for Houston right now.

Hughes was traded 9yrs ago.(by Grigson)

Hooker was coming off injury and wasn't a fit for the defense at the time. 

Walker - enough said. 

Bottom line is, you could pull players from any team, you can find players now on other teams that are playing good.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nah... dropped two starters (Houston and Autry). Only added one (Paye) who was a rook. And another rook not expected do much due to injury... 

Neither Lewis or AQM were to level of either Houston or Autry. 

That's for sure, but to have those young players take over for the vets as the contracts expired was their plan all along.  I think they just rolled with the plan and were willing to accept the results rather than reevaluating all of the players and getting entangled in another large contract with them.  

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

That would of made 2/6 players of relevance to that post if both were added.

Autry and Houston

Anthony Walker is out for season, not getting anything for him.(premise of "joke")

No one is trading for Houston right now.

Hughes was traded 9yrs ago.(by Grigson)

Hooker was coming off injury and wasn't a fit for the defense at the time. 

Walker - enough said. 

Bottom line is, you could pull players from any team, you can find players now on other teams that are playing good.

I am familiar with Walker. But he started the year on fire, and was good last year too. Was 70ish last year IIRC. 

Nobody is saying Houston is worth a ton for a trade. But he's a great rotational player. And he is top 5 in sacks IIRC. And Autry is making all kinds of potential game changing plays again this year. 

Hooker wouldn't have been worse than Blackmon IMO, even pre-Gus. And he'd certainly be a better fit now. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's for sure, but to have those young players take over for the vets as the contracts expired was their plan all along.  I think they just rolled with the plan and were willing to accept the results rather than reevaluating all of the players and getting entangled in another large contract with them.  

Houston would be a great LEO type this year. Cheaper too. We'll need to do something in the off season. Don't see Ngakoue back. 

Hopefully Dayo will become the tweener like Autry is/was. 

Not a big fan of either DTs we took this year. 

47 minutes ago, #12. said:

Sure.  I beat the drum big time for re-signing and keeping Hooker.  Was he worth a first rounder?  No, but he was a solid player and certainly worth keeping.  Have the Cowboys gotten more out of him than we have out of Blackmon?  Probably.

Thanks. Many here were very happy when Hooker was drafted. Wilson too (the CB -- I think his name was Wilson). I think that draft was the one with many highly rated CB prospects. 

Hooker is not bad but he did not seem to work out here.

51 minutes ago, w87r said:

Hughes was literally traded 9 years ago.

I did not realize it was that long ago. That means he has had a pretty good career. 

Difference of opinion is good, as it helps us see things from a different perspective. (I may be coming around on Kirk Cousins because of you. :) )

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Difference of opinion is good

It's not a difference of opinion.

It was a troll post taking a shot at players Ballard let go. Sarcastic, trying to be the funny guy at the "party". <--- his words. Failed miserably. 

1 of which Ballard didn't even let go. Seriously what does Hughes have to do with anything in regards to this regime? Not a thing.

1 who had to go to another league to get a chance to come back to the league and have 3 QBs(Darnold, Mayfield, Corral) in front of him get hurt to be able to even get to sniff the field.

1 who was injured multiple times and didn't fit the system when he was here. He would fit the system now, but it was prior to this scheme.

1 of which was aging DE, with multiple draft picks behind him needing to play and see what they had.

Then wants to reply to my post saying I'm the the life of the party.... Again, sarcastic like his initial post.

Life of the party doesn't have bad jokes and isn't going around saying a bunch of negative things at the "party"

So had to hit him with more facts. No opinion there either.

17 minutes ago, w87r said:

It's not a difference of opinion.

It was a troll post taking a shot at players Ballard let go. Sarcastic, trying to be the funny guy at the "party". <--- his words. Failed miserably. 

1 of which Ballard didn't even let go. Seriously what does Hughes have to do with anything in regards to this regime? Not a thing.

1 who had to go to another league to get a chance to come back to the league and have 3 QBs(Darnold, Mayfield, Corral) in front of him get hurt to be able to even get to sniff the field.

1 who was injured multiple times and didn't fit the system when he was here. He would fit the system now, but it was prior to this scheme.

1 of which was aging DE, with multiple draft picks behind him needing to play and see what they had.

Then wants to reply to my post saying I'm the the life of the party.... Again, sarcastic like his initial post.

Life of the party doesn't have bad jokes and isn't going around saying a bunch of negative things at the "party"

So had to hit him with more facts. No opinion there either.

Somebody needs a nap.  Damn.

27 minutes ago, w87r said:

Zimmer was really holding the Vikings back.

Glad to see you coming around to Cousins.

Lol. I still want to draft a QB of the future. :thmup:

Zimmer sure was. Players have described how toxic an environment it had become in the last year or two. It seems that Zimmer saw the writing on the wall. I liked my GM a lot and was disappointed that he was a casualty of the Zimmer regime.  

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

Somebody needs a nap.  Damn.

I'm good, I'm headed to maybe by a new set of golf clubs.

I just call out garbage post when I see them 

For the record, you're up to 4 in this thread.

Initial post 

Life of party post

Move on post

and this one here.

I will take a look for #5 in a bit.

4 hours ago, Narcosys said:

I find this forum funny.  Go back 2-3 years and you find all this love for the coach and Ballard. Now everyone says they are the worst. 

It’s natural after 5-6 years of mediocracy, of not improving. It has historical precedence across all teams, so not really weird. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

PFF grades for a couple of other players who have left:

Glow

• 2022, 56.7  (Jets)
  • 2021, 70.1
  • 2020, 67.3
  • 2019, 60.5

Pascal

• 56.7  7 targets (about right since he's behind Smith and Brown, Philly)
  • 51.7, 67 targets...lol
  • 64.7, 71 targets....lol
  • 73.7, 69 targets...good year with JB.

Pascal is not really "behind Smith and Brown". 

He's more or less the slot #2 and behind Quez Watkins (6th round pick).

And they have only 4 WRs on the roster.... He's 4th of 4. 

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Except now Ballard is feeling a little heat along with the coach.  Irsay and most people thought this team could win the South this year.  Their current record still has that door wide open.  Ballard making a move now shows Irsay he is trying to still make it happen.  If they fail the blame falls more directly on the coach not him.  He provided Reich with more help but he still failed.  Now he gets another chance to pick a coach.  I’m in the camp he’s going to make a move.  I think it increases his chances of staying as GM.  Self preservation is always in the back of every decision made.  We will know soon enough.

No man I definitely hear you. But to the bolded part that’s been the issue with Ballard up to this point. Self preservation. Not trading up for a QB (or really any position in the 1st round) and not taking a swing on a FA, is self preservation. A lot of his comments have been about how taking a QB that doesn’t play well will get him run out of town or how paying a guy a bunch of money in FA who doesn’t workout is supposedly bad for the locker room.

All of that is self preservation. Most of his philosophy is as long as the Colts are winning more than they’re losing, then it’s okay. It’s better to be mediocre or average than bad. So if we’re this far in and he still hasn’t changed, I don’t think he will. He seem insistent on the idea that the team can win with their strategy and their guys. Trading for other teams top players or trading away ours that are underperforming seems counter productive to what his philosophy is, despite there being more than enough proof his way doesn’t work.

Archived